Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:34 PM

50 posts, read 63,175 times

Advertisements

Do you know and understand the Sales Conract and all the fine print?

Not all Real Estate agents are out to get you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Nobody told me that:

I'd lose my view because of the new (Fill in the blank)

They were going to build behind me

New sewers - nobody told me. How much?????

The school districts were being redrawn

My property is too small to build a (Fill in the blank)

This was my favorite. I knew...and passed on the house... my buyer's agent knew....the eventual buyers didn't. They didn't have a buyer's agent and dealt with the seller's agent and an attorney.

Seller's disclosure statement in some states are garbage. For a paltry fee paid to buyer by seller.....you can forget about it. Seller's paid $500 to buyer

House was originally owned by dentist who practiced in attached office suite to the house from the 1950's through the 80's. House on septic.

Guess what they found throughout the septic system........in the traps.........

Mercury.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:21 PM

406 posts, read 874,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Nobody told me that:

This was my favorite. I knew...and passed on the house... my buyer's agent knew....the eventual buyers didn't. They didn't have a buyer's agent and dealt with the seller's agent and an attorney.

Seller's disclosure statement in some states are garbage. For a paltry fee paid to buyer by seller.....you can forget about it. Seller's paid $500 to buyer

House was originally owned by dentist who practiced in attached office suite to the house from the 1950's through the 80's. House on septic.

Mercury.
Aside from the mercury thing, anyone who does their homework would be able to foresee the other issues just as well as a real estate agent. As for the dentist, you are fortunate that your agent knew, but that is a special circumstance.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
Aside from the mercury thing, anyone who does their homework would be able to foresee the other issues just as well as a real estate agent. As for the dentist, you are fortunate that your agent knew, but that is a special circumstance.

I knew about the dentist's house. He was my dentist when I was a kid. My buyer's agent was a little younger than I and had forgotten until I reminded her.

I used to sit on our Zoning Board of Appeal. When we'd turn down a variance we'd get the sob story....nobody told me.......and I would ask if they had an agent of their own. 95% of the time, the answer was "No". I live in a difficult community with very stringent zoning laws and historical overlays. Normally, what buyer's agents will do is have the current owner and applicant (contingent buyer) file for approval.

In 15 years - never saw a seller's agent do the same.

If you were a baseball player.........would you enter into a new contract with a team unrepresented? No, you'd have your agent with you...........and your attorney.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 AM

56 posts, read 115,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Nobody told me that:

We are talking about homes in LI where there are height restrictions.

Not on your property they can't.

Isn't that a good thing?

Can easily be found online.

A simple call to the town hall would do. How do you think the broker get this info?

Knew about what? A buyer's agent could had easily NOT disclose this info too so he can get the commission.

Not sure what this got to do with a buyer's broker. Unless the broker lives inside the house with the family and knows the sellers personally, there's nothing i can think of that a buyer's agent will disclose to you without some form of "speculation".

A property survey requested by your attorney would have shown where the septic is located.

Mercury.

And how does a buyer's agent know there's Mercury in there?

Again, a buyer's agent offers nothing you can't find for yourself.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
^ if only everyone were as thorough. Nobody is saying they are required, but they help many people who don't know how (or lack the time) to help themselves.

Regardless, having gone through it twice, and not needing to pay anything out of pocket, I'd still have representation because it doesn't hurt. I agree that not having one can help make you appear as the best candidate to the seller, but we haven't needed to be in that situation.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Its not that hard to negotiate without a buyers agent. All comps and recent sales are public info easily obtained online.
I recently bought a house. I made one offer to the selling agent, stood firm with it, and eventually the selling agent caved in despite trying several counter offers.

I think a selling agent has value, but a buyers agent is totally useless in this day and age unless the buyer is just completely clueless and has no desire to do basic homework.

And I wouldn't trust any inspector a buying agent recommends, because the buying agent has as much as in interest in getting the sales commission as the selling agent.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
because the buying agent has as much as in interest in getting the sales commission as the selling agent.
If the buyer agent wants to continue to work with good word-of-mouth and reputation, they will do right by their client. Not doing so would be obvious to the buyer ("our agent is pushy") and a tarnished reputation especially in "this day and age" can spread quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island