Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,521 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be looking for a small rental (studio or 1 bed) in Western Suffolk county, probably in August. She will also be looking for a job in either Nassau county or Western Suffolk, but won't have a car at first, and will have to rely on public transport to get to her job.

Any suggestions as to large towns that she can start looking at? She definitely has to live in Suffolk, but can work in either county, it's just transport that will be an issue. (She will be looking for admin work.)

Neither of us know LI so will appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:33 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Job first, then rental.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Unless she's just going to be commuting back and forth to the City via LIRR (In which case, a place near a LIRR station will do) living on LI without a car is all but impossible. It will take HOURS to get places that she could drive to in 15 or 20 minutes. Even in the City, having to use "public transit" [unless you're right in Manhattan] sucks.

Unless, of course, she is an accomplished cyclist, and can ride a bike many miles on a daily basis.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 AM

148 posts, read 247,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Unless she's just going to be commuting back and forth to the City via LIRR (In which case, a place near a LIRR station will do) living on LI without a car is all but impossible. It will take HOURS to get places that she could drive to in 15 or 20 minutes. Even in the City, having to use "public transit" [unless you're right in Manhattan] sucks.

Unless, of course, she is an accomplished cyclist, and can ride a bike many miles on a daily basis.
Long Island isn't safe for cyclists. 30 + cyclists died in just Suffolk County alone last year.

Minus one or two towns that actually have infrastructure for cyclists. (Eg, Bethpage/North Massapequa)

Biking is very dangerous here with 5 by 5 lane intersections or high speed parkways without a sliver of shoulder to ride in and virtually no bike pathways aside from in small strips of closed off recreational areas nearby astronomically expensive properties. It will be 100 years before Long Island becomes livable.

Thank you Robert Moses.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholtor View Post
Long Island isn't safe for cyclists. 30 + cyclists died in just Suffolk County alone last year.

Minus one or two towns that actually have infrastructure for cyclists. (Eg, Bethpage/North Massapequa)

Biking is very dangerous here with 5 by 5 lane intersections or high speed parkways without a sliver of shoulder to ride in and virtually no bike pathways aside from in small strips of closed off recreational areas nearby astronomically expensive properties. It will be 100 years before Long Island becomes livable.

Thank you Robert Moses.
True. I remembered that after I posted. After being off the bike for nearly 30 years, I didn't take it up again until I moved away from there.... But lots of people there still do ride, including a friend of mine. Hey, you gotta be half crazy just to live there, anyway....

Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM

126 posts, read 222,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholtor View Post

Thank you Robert Moses.
Wonder how many of those 30 were following the rules of the road? While I agree wholeheartedly that we need better bike lanes, it also chaps me when I see bicycles running red lights, cutting across traffic lanes (making a right turn from the left turn lane, often while running a red light), and riding down the middle of the road when there is a bike lane. The percentage of cyclists I see doing these things is quite high, and I just have to wonder if the unsafe conditions have selected the cycling population down to those with a death wish.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
Wonder how many of those 30 were following the rules of the road? While I agree wholeheartedly that we need better bike lanes, it also chaps me when I see bicycles running red lights, cutting across traffic lanes (making a right turn from the left turn lane, often while running a red light), and riding down the middle of the road when there is a bike lane. The percentage of cyclists I see doing these things is quite high, and I just have to wonder if the unsafe conditions have selected the cycling population down to those with a death wish.
Not to mention, that on LI, a lot of those on bikes (and I'll bet a significant percentage of those who got hit/killed) are day laborers (who often tend to be rather careless about their own safety); the homeless (Who are often "not quite right" or stoned or drunk); or people coming from bars and riding a bike to avoid a DWI/or because they lost their license due to a DWI.

Personally, I don't like bike lanes; MUPs and the like- they are often more dangerous than riding in traffic. But Pholtor does make a very valid point about dangerous intersections. Although my biggest concern is distracted drivers.

My friend has been riding there since the 80's- and has only had one incident with a car- in which his injuries were very minor.

But man, those bike lanes can be murder if not really designed well (and many aren't designed well) and the MUPs, with oblivious joggers listening to loud music with earphones; people walking 4abreast taking up the whole path; and people with dogs with 50' retractable leashes- I felt safer riding on the streets of manhattan than on any bike path I've ever seen (Seriously!)

Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Its too far out since its considered eastern Suffolk but anything by 112 is a good place for transit. There is a bus route that goes north to the port Jefferson train station and south to the Patchogue train station. I live in the blue ridge condo development and this bus route has a stop right in the development.

There is also a ride and share stop on north ocean by the lie that has a bus stop. I am not sure which bus line stops there.

IF she gets a job in Suffolk this area might be a good one.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:22 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Huntington has a train station and relatively decent bus access.

Generally, if you are walking distance to a major shopping mall you will have some good bus options - i.e. Walt Whitman or Smithhaven Mall.

As noted, a car is preferable. Bus service on Long Island can be horrible. I have seen people waiting at a bus stop for over an hour.

As has already been noted - job first, then find a place to live. If the job is walking distance to a LIRR station, you will want to live near a compatible LIRR station. If near a bus stop, you will have to find a rental near a bus line.

Jobs are difficult enough to come by. Having to find one convenient to a LIRR or bus station on Long Island may be a tall order. Why is western Suffolk a requirement for living while Nassau or Suffolk is okay for a job? In this economy, the smart move is to remove as many "requirements" as possible.

Finding a rental within walking distance to a Nassau workplace could save tons of time and money in commuting. It could also save your job by avoiding a chronically late situation if you are relying on the bus system.

Of course, a car opens up the most possibilites. Lack of one will be difficult to work around.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Its too far out since its considered eastern Suffolk but anything by 112 is a good place for transit. There is a bus route that goes north to the port Jefferson train station and south to the Patchogue train station. I live in the blue ridge condo development and this bus route has a stop right in the development.

There is also a ride and share stop on north ocean by the lie that has a bus stop. I am not sure which bus line stops there.

IF she gets a job in Suffolk this area might be a good one.
Yeah, but it's hell to have to depend on a bus that runs maybe once an hour (if you're lucky) and goes limited places. And if one needs to change buses to go anywhere off of 112.....that's where the real fun comes in. You just can't rely on buses in Suffolk (or even Nassau)- and in Suffolk they don't even run on Sundays or holidays. They may be an option for a patient commuter who just needs to go to one place....but one isn't going to get their shopping and other chores and activities done by using them.

Heck, I remember needing to get from Ronkonkoma to the DMV in Hauppague once. Made the mistake of doing it by bus. It took over 2 hours, to get to a place i could drive to in less than 20 minutes- and it involved a lot of walking!

Life would be hell for anyone who has to rely on buses on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island