Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times

Advertisements

Respected economist Douglas Holtz Eakin estimates that benchmark immigration reform would decrease the budget deficit by $2.7 trillion over 10 years and increase per capita GDP in the near term by $1,500. But keep telling yourself immigration reform is bad for the economy.

http://americanactionforum.org/sites...d%20Budget.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Respected economist Douglas Holtz Eakin estimates that benchmark immigration reform would decrease the budget deficit by $2.7 trillion over 10 years and increase per capita GDP in the near term by $1,500. But keep telling yourself immigration reform is bad for the economy.

http://americanactionforum.org/sites...d%20Budget.pdf
Yep you just keep quoting the chamber of commerce types who have a vested interest in keeping their slave wages intact. Numbers can easily be manipulated to skew any POV. Again this proves nothing

Old 07-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Earlier today you were admitting that mass deportation doesn't work, but now you're all for a militarized border?

Mass deportation (or selective/rigorous deportation, whatever that means in practice) would be about as effective as the war on drugs in alleviating the underlying problem, but if you think more of the same is the way to go, then you're entitled to your opinion. Totally absent from any of your arguments is a single compelling reason not to reform immigration policies to expand the tax base.

You and simonlok are impressive in your dedication to the "I have no objective support for my position, so I'll simply claim that it's not worth arguing with you anyway" line. Maybe one day you'll come up with a better reason than "we shouldn't reward people who overstayed their visa with basic rights and the opportunity to contribute to society." It's reasoning that makes no sense.
Wow you need to work on those reading comprehension skills. First of all a secure border prevents them from entering in the first place and has nothing to do with deportation. I never said mass deportation wouldn't work I just said it would be unrealistic if impossible to achieve. You seem to think it's either deport them all, or give them all amnesty, which is beyond short sighted, as there are many many multi point solutions which could vastly improve our immigration system and yes aggressive interior enforcement is a part of that. And stop with the basic rights crap, no where is is written in the constitution that someone entering the country illegally is entitled to the same rights as a U.S. Citizen like the right to vote.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yep you just keep quoting the chamber of commerce types who have a vested interest in keeping their slave wages intact. Numbers can easily be manipulated to skew any POV. Again this proves nothing
Better than quoting nothing and just citing subjective nothingness

Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Wow you need to work on those reading comprehension skills. First of all a secure border prevents them from entering in the first place and has nothing to do with deportation. I never said mass deportation wouldn't work I just said it would be unrealistic if impossible to achieve. You seem to think it's either deport them all, or give them all amnesty, which is beyond short sighted, as there are many many multi point solutions which could vastly improve our immigration system and yes aggressive interior enforcement is a part of that. And stop with the basic rights crap, no where is is written in the constitution that someone entering the country illegally is entitled to the same rights as a U.S. Citizen like the right to vote.
What is the benefit gained by removing immigrants from our society again? I keep asking the question but not getting an answer.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Better than quoting nothing and just citing subjective nothingness
The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on U.S. Taxpayers (2010)

Happy? See I can post bias links with fancy numbers too!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
What is the benefit gained by removing immigrants from our society again? I keep asking the question but not getting an answer.
We are a sovereign nation with borders and laws that govern those borders in the interest of national security and public safety. As per the Current INA removal is one of the consequences of breaking those laws. That in itself is a good enough reason. If we completely stop enforcing any immigration controls there will be no end to the flow of the poor and destitute into this country which has finite resources. As a sovereign nation we have a right to say who gets to Immigrate here and why, as all nations do thought the world. You can't seem to get this concept through your head. The benefit is to discourage more from coming. If we make it as hard as possible for an illegal to live and work here then it isn't worth trying in the first place. So tell me which laws should we stop enforcing next? It's obvious you are all for legalizing drugs. Any others?

And please answer me this: what do we do with the next 11 million that come across the border after you grant citizenship to those already here? Do they get citizenship as well? What about those who arrive after them??

Last edited by peconic117; 07-14-2015 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on U.S. Taxpayers (2010)

Happy? See I can post bias links with fancy numbers too!
It only took me 2 minutes to find a comprehensive analysis pointing out the numerous flaws in that report's methodology, but at least you're (kind of) trying. Plus I see nothing but a paragraph with no citations discussing the fiscal impact of reform in the actual report.

http://cei.org/sites/default/files/A...0Criticism.pdf

There is no denying that illegal immigration costs money (guess what, we've also landed on the moon!), No one is debating that point. The question is whether it's better to spend more money deporting them or instead recouping money by collecting taxes from them.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It only took me 2 minutes to find a comprehensive analysis pointing out the numerous flaws in that report's methodology, but at least you're (kind of) trying. Plus I see nothing but a paragraph with no citations discussing the fiscal impact of reform in the actual report.

http://cei.org/sites/default/files/A...0Criticism.pdf

There is no denying that illegal immigration costs money (guess what, we've also landed on the moon!), No one is debating that point. The question is whether it's better to spend more money deporting them or instead recouping money by collecting taxes from them.
Ahh yes CEI another group that has a vested interest in keeping low wage workers flowing for the corporations and they are every bit as biased as FAIR. And you also forgot to add "and paying more taxes for them when millions are added to the welfare rolls"

Old 07-14-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
We are a sovereign nation with borders and laws that govern those borders in the interest of national security and public safety. As per the Current INA removal is one of the consequences of breaking those laws. That in itself is a good enough reason. If we completely stop enforcing any immigration controls there will be no end to the flow of the poor and destitute into this country which has finite resources. As a sovereign nation we have a right to say who gets to Immigrate here and why, as all nations do thought the world. You can't seem to get this concept through your head. The benefit is to discourage more from coming. If we make it as hard as possible for an illegal to live and work here then it isn't worth trying in the first place. So tell me which laws should we stop enforcing next? It's obvious you are all for legalizing drugs. Any others?

And please answer me this: what do we do with the next 11 million that come across the border after you grant citizenship to those already here? Do they get citizenship as well? What about those who arrive after them??
Ok but as a sovereign nation, why do we want to exclude potential workers and people who want to emigrate to the US? Your reasoning is circular; we can exclude people because we are sovereign and therefore we should exclude people? Makes no sense. Enforcing (or at least attempting to enforce) laws just to enforce them rather than reform laws to create a realistic path to legality is pointless.

And do us all a favor and stop the hyperbole and strawman arguments. No one has mentioned or otherwise suggested open borders, blanket amnesties, or refusal to enforce laws. The point was that immigration laws ought to be reformed for numerous economic reasons (not to mention social ones) and, in doing so, create a realistic path that allows the system to adjust to the market's labor needs rather than implementing absurd caps like you see in H1B programs. If you don't understand that most basic distinction, maybe this debate ought to come to an end.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 07-14-2015 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island