Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 03:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
what would happen if you signed a 1-year lease agreement that specifically states "no pets" but then you went and got a dog. i'm not going to do this because i'm not stupid. but just out of curiosity. what if you are really good tenants - do you think the landlord what just let it go? or would he evict you?

i want a dog

No dog means no dog if you want a dog find a different place to live.
A lot of landlords will evict you for going against the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 04:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
This thread is ridiculous.
He doesn't like dogs? Or maybe pole dancers.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:49 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
You must be a blast at parties.

Lighten up.
Take it from Sgt Hulka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

Old 07-17-2015, 06:57 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
You must be a blast at parties.

Lighten up.
No.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:38 PM

674 posts, read 1,155,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
I was thinking about adopting a 20 yr old pole dancer. Do you think my wife would be upset and kick me out?
I love it. LOL.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
what would happen if you signed a 1-year lease agreement that specifically states "no pets" but then you went and got a dog. i'm not going to do this because i'm not stupid. but just out of curiosity. what if you are really good tenants - do you think the landlord what just let it go? or would he evict you?

i want a dog
If I was your LL and based on your agreement, you'd be out your security deposit and a place to live. It's a business not a charity.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
If I was your LL and based on your agreement, you'd be out your security deposit and a place to live. It's a business not a charity.
Withholding any or all of a security deposit requires documentation that those funds were used to rectify a situation beyond normal wear an tear, not just that the landlord was annoyed.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:19 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,586 times
On a one-year lease it would be interesting.

Getting the pet would mean the tenant is breaking the terms of the lease. The landlord would be able to start eviction proceedings. In reality, it would probably take longer than the length of the lease.

By the time you got the dog, the landlord realized you had one, he contacted you to tell you get rid of the dog, you ignored him to waste some time, etc. Now you are probably 6+ months into the lease. Landlord files and you delay as much as possible... you are basically running out the lease.

Meanwhile, you have an irate landlord. He may do everything in his power to make your life difficult. There are very likely things inside the lease terms he can do to hassle you. He may also do things outside the terms... oops, I can't find a plumber to fix that hot water heater - just a few more days of cold showers. If you openly defy the lease terms, don't be surprised if a landlord tries to play the same game.

The security deposit is also at risk. Yes, the landlord may have to document things, but once the "smell" has been mitigated and the carpets steam cleaned and the chewed up moldings replaced, who's to prove that these problems didn't exist in the first place. What if the landlord or other tenants has a severe allergy to dogs and you endanger their health? You could find yourself at the wrong end of a lawsuit, which you will lose.

Getting a pet where you have signed a "no pets" lease is an openly hostile move. You are declaring war on the property owner. If the landlord has it there for a reason, and doesn't grant you an exemption in advance, you are just looking for trouble. By signing the lease you are agreeing to this rather important condition. Breaking the lease is breaking your word, which is unethical and shows what type of person you are.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Withholding any or all of a security deposit requires documentation that those funds were used to rectify a situation beyond normal wear an tear, not just that the landlord was annoyed.
According to OP the lease stipulates no dogs, therefore breaking said lease is subject to deposit forfeiture.

I'd kick OP out which means I lose on the anticipated and agreed upon income, and the deposit would cover that until I find another tenant to take over the lease OP broke.

Case justified.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
According to OP the lease stipulates no dogs, therefore breaking said lease is subject to deposit forfeiture.

I'd kick OP out which means I lose on the anticipated and agreed upon income, and the deposit would cover that until I find another tenant to take over the lease OP broke.

Case justified.
Not in the State of New York. Security deposit cannot be used punitively. In your scenario you could only keep the deposit if you made attempts to fill the space and were unable to do so or the tenant could not arrange a replacement. Not likely on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island