Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM

137 posts, read 194,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ the truck hit the limo dead square in the middle... no attempt to swerve either way. Limos doing a U-turn are not exactly fast and so the drunk, if he weren't impaired, would've been able to do *something* going in either direction of the lengthy vehicle. He did nothing and hit it dead in the middle. It's possible the limo driver pulled out with insufficient time causing someone to have to brake - he may be thinking the truck would slow for him, but he didn't for obvious reasons. I don't think he pulled out in front of the truck leaving it zero time to react - that would've resulted in hitting the front end.

The drunk couldn't comprehend what was happening in front of him. It's a huge slow car and there should've been ample time to slow.
According to witnesses the limo cut in front of the truck. According to authorities the truck tired to stop. He's getting vehicular manslaughter without a doubt but let's include all of the story as it's been reported so far, not just make up unsubstantiated nonsense like "he did nothing" or "if not impaired he would've been able to blah blah blah." Fact is, more to blame than just the drunk driver. A poor decision by the limo driver, a known and notorious turn in a spot known for just this type of accident and an impaired driver in the wrong place at the wrong time and of questionable abilities. Anyone who's ever ridden a motorcycle knows that if someone makes a turn in front of you when you have the right of way, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to stop, not a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,256 times
I know everyone is angry and it's an incredibly sad situation. No doubt this guy's a jerk for DWI and deserves to be held legally accountable.

I am in no way casting blame in the victims. They behaved very responsibly. However, I do question whether stretch limos are crashworthy and should be allowed on the road? There seems to be a deficiency in structural integrity. Should they be required to be safer? Is it fair for someone to think they are responsibly hiring a car service when they don't think they should be driving and end up in a vehicle which has suboptimal safety? I don't think so and this makes me very sad. This is tragic and should result in better oversight.

** I just did a quick Internet search and found that abc raised a similar question today: The Investigators: Stretch limos fall through regulatory cracks | 7online.com

Old 07-21-2015, 09:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
According to witnesses the limo cut in front of the truck. According to authorities the truck tired to stop.
I didn't read anything about authorities saying he tried to stop - where did you find this? How would they even know at this point? If this was a frequent trouble-spot, skid marks wouldn't prove anything.

As for witnesses saying he cut out in front, that's debatable with varying speeds. I can't tell you how many times people say they were cut off by someone changing into their lane when they didn't even have to brake.

Quote:
Anyone who's ever ridden a motorcycle knows that if someone makes a turn in front of you when you have the right of way, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to stop, not a thing.
Motorcycles have 1 wheel to steer which also keeps balance and any sudden turns you are done regardless. Anyone riding a bicycle could tell you the same thing. They are not the same as a car that can swerve regardless of speed.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-21-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 05:15 AM

186 posts, read 243,931 times
If the limo drive stopped, got out of his car and shot all the occupants of the limo the Republicans (especially the RINO's on Long Island) and Democrats would be pushing for more gun control laws as their mindless blind voting base supports them while they all sip their wine and drink their beer supporting an industry that wrecks havoc on society.

You have to laugh at the hypocrisy of the liberal brain. If it makes money who cares about the "children"

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 AM

142 posts, read 265,387 times
The knee jerk reactions are killing me here and unfortunately are all too common. I'll just wait for the facts to come out, like anyone with common sense would do.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
The knee jerk reactions are killing me here and unfortunately are all too common. I'll just wait for the facts to come out, like anyone with common sense would do.
I didn't read much of this thread but I agree, anytime there's a news article with a drunk driver, there are so many emotionally fueled comments.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
If the limo drive stopped, got out of his car and shot all the occupants of the limo the Republicans (especially the RINO's on Long Island) and Democrats would be pushing for more gun control laws as their mindless blind voting base supports them while they all sip their wine and drink their beer supporting an industry that wrecks havoc on society.

You have to laugh at the hypocrisy of the liberal brain. If it makes money who cares about the "children"

Get over you guns kid.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
I got tboned between the doors by a women going 45 mph. Other than car being a mess, both her and I were fine. She never hit the breaks. I think she was on phone or changing radio.

This accident was out in the sticks of the Northfork and he was driving by an intersection where follks are known to make uturns.

He killed four people, broke his nose and totalled both cars. How fast was he going?

I mean I have driven to vinyards, top speed maybe 45-50 at max and even if someone jumped in front of me I could hit brakes and maybe slow down a bit.

This guy was speeding and either did not hit brakes at all or hit them too late as he was impared.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:30 PM

142 posts, read 265,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I got tboned between the doors by a women going 45 mph. Other than car being a mess, both her and I were fine. She never hit the breaks. I think she was on phone or changing radio.

This accident was out in the sticks of the Northfork and he was driving by an intersection where follks are known to make uturns.

He killed four people, broke his nose and totalled both cars. How fast was he going?

I mean I have driven to vinyards, top speed maybe 45-50 at max and even if someone jumped in front of me I could hit brakes and maybe slow down a bit.

This guy was speeding and either did not hit brakes at all or hit them too late as he was impared.
I know this particular intersection fairly well and spend a fair amount of time out east. Going 55 mph there (let's assume he was going the speed limit), in the left lane, who knows how quick that limo shot out from the left turn lane to pull the u-turn? He easily could have picked up speed heading east and whipped around to head west, giving anyone (even a sober person) little-to-no time to react.

I usually assume the worst out of every driver (because, let's face it, most are terrible...especially on LI), and would move my car to the right lane if I saw a limo waiting to make a u-turn in my direction...but that's just me...and even though I assume the worst of every driver, one should assume your bright red pickup truck would be noticed and that a driver would not pull out in front of you as you go 55mph. Was there another driver in the right lane next to or close to the pickup, preventing him from swerving to the right? I don't know...facts facts facts.

Now you mentioned you got hit once. What kind of car? Some people have brought up the structural integrity of a limo and whether or not they are safe. Who knows...maybe a car going 55 mph COULD do this kind of damage to a limo. I don't know because I'm not the expert.

The point being, I want to hear proof that he was DWI. From there, I want to hear the facts of the accident to determine if the DWI resulted in the deaths of these poor women or if it was merely a non-contributing factor. Until then, I'll withhold judgement and avoid the knee jerk reactions

Old 07-22-2015, 03:58 PM

137 posts, read 194,402 times
Quote:
I didn't read anything about authorities saying he tried to stop - where did you find this? How would they even know at this point? If this was a frequent trouble-spot, skid marks wouldn't prove anything.

As for witnesses saying he cut out in front, that's debatable with varying speeds. I can't tell you how many times people say they were cut off by someone changing into their lane when they didn't even have to brake.
per Newsday:

"Pino told police he saw no oncoming traffic when he made the turn, but Spota said an eastbound driver saw the pickup truck before the limo started turning. "He said the limo was turning right in front of the truck," Spota said.

Police say Romeo hit the brakes, but not soon enough to avoid the crash."

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...ges-1.10658673

Quote:
Motorcycles have 1 wheel to steer which also keeps balance and any sudden turns you are done regardless. Anyone riding a bicycle could tell you the same thing. They are not the same as a car that can swerve regardless of speed.
Completely irrelevant. You either have time to stop or not. If you have the right of way and someone turns in front of you, you can be evil kneivel and you're still broadsiding the turning car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island