Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 27,749 times

Advertisements

I live in Baldwin N.Y. and I have a problem with neighbors who constantly blast music. Their music is so loud that even with all the windows closed and an A.C. running I still hear it very loudly, as well as a powerful woofer that shakes the house. I have tried talking to them many times but they do not care at all that their music is making us miserable. I have a father who is very mentally ill and takes a lot of medication, and the constant noise is causing him to have mental breakdowns. I have filed a complaint online with the Town of Hempstead as well as talked to an officer. The officer told me that they cannot do anything about excessive noise, however I am well aware that their in fact is a noise ordinance. I am not sure what to do anymore considering I've talked to the neighbors, and the cops don't want to help me out at all. Any help or advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated, the constant stress everyday is getting pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:06 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,318 times
la Traviata or the William Tell Overture-very loud outside at 7am everyday. A little opera or classical music is good for the "soul".

The NCPD help you? Now that's funny.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:32 PM

634 posts, read 912,687 times
Are they (or you) renters?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 27,749 times
Neither of us are renters.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:39 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
You could sue.

Or, you could get a kennel full of beagles.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times
What if you called the police every time this happens?

Don't they have to respond to every call?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,615 times
Sometimes it takes a civil suit.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:33 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,498 times
BB gun.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,876 times
Where in Baldwin? south or north of Sunrise? merrick? Just curious as its dead quiet where I live in Baldwin.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Google "town of Hempstead noise ordinance". You have rights here is something for you to read below. Do not call the police. You must call code enforcement. They will come and fine the inconsiderate morons. Send me a private message if you want some help. In the meantime, read what the TOH says about noise.

NOISE
Any sound which annoys or disturbs humans or which causes or tends to cause an adverse psychological or physiological effect on humans.

NOISE DISTURBANCE
Any sound which either endangers or injures the safety or health of humans or animals or annoys or disturbs a reasonable person of normal sensitivity or endangers or damages property; same as "unreasonable noise."
REAL PROPERTY BOUNDARY
An imaginary line along the ground surface, and its vertical extension, which separates the real property owned by another person, but not including intrabuilding real property divisions.

UNREASONABLE NOISE
Any sound which either endangers or injures the safety or health of humans or animals or annoys or disturbs a reasonable person of normal sensitivity or endangers or damages property; same as "noise disturbance."

General prohibitions.
A.
It shall be unlawful and an offense against this chapter for any person to unreasonably make, continue or cause to be made or continued any unreasonable noise or noise disturbance.

Specific prohibitions.
Any conduct contributing toward participation in any of the following activities hereby are declared to be offenses against this chapter:
B.
Operating, playing or permitting the operation or playing of any radio, television, phonograph, drum, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces or amplifies sound in such a manner as to create a noise disturbance across a real property boundary.

K.
The use of any loudspeaker or amplifier device such that the sound therefrom creates unreasonable noise across a real property boundary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: