Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times

Advertisements

There is a house several blocks from me for sale. Around 7 weeks ago the guy cut his price big time after almost a year on market and got it sold and closed within six week. I was wondering the urgency as I talked to owners once and they were pretty well off and had no mortgage and only stayed in house during summer months as they had a huge place in Florida.

Well I found out last night why, the house next door sold to a large Indian family around ten weeks ago but only moved in this week. I guess the guy got wind of who bought next door and knew it would make his house very hard to sell. They were out on street, bikes on front lawn, folks sitting on stoop, kinda the deal where two families move in together and bring their parents. Assembling stuff on front lawn, looked like a Turkish Bazzar. It was a nice block of older folks mixed in with a few young families of professionals who kept houses spotless and a very low traffic street. Now it looks like a used car lot. Mom and Dad and Mom and Dad, dont know which set owns house screaming in Hindu or something at 8pm. Feel bad for the retired couple across the street. Now they got 24 hours a day of this drama

I guess who ever the older couple sold the house to is now Pissed. Thought it was a good deal. Guess there is a reason for price cuts sometimes that your home inspector cant find.

I like different backgrounds and different folks living near me. But not when it is multiple sets of family in the house which turns a single family street into Queens overnight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
^ can't disagree with that, but renters can make it just as much of a nightmare.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:37 AM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
There is a house several blocks from me for sale. Around 7 weeks ago the guy cut his price big time after almost a year on market and got it sold and closed within six week. I was wondering the urgency as I talked to owners once and they were pretty well off and had no mortgage and only stayed in house during summer months as they had a huge place in Florida.

Well I found out last night why, the house next door sold to a large Indian family around ten weeks ago but only moved in this week. I guess the guy got wind of who bought next door and knew it would make his house very hard to sell. They were out on street, bikes on front lawn, folks sitting on stoop, kinda the deal where two families move in together and bring their parents. Assembling stuff on front lawn, looked like a Turkish Bazzar. It was a nice block of older folks mixed in with a few young families of professionals who kept houses spotless and a very low traffic street. Now it looks like a used car lot. Mom and Dad and Mom and Dad, dont know which set owns house screaming in Hindu or something at 8pm. Feel bad for the retired couple across the street. Now they got 24 hours a day of this drama

I guess who ever the older couple sold the house to is now Pissed. Thought it was a good deal. Guess there is a reason for price cuts sometimes that your home inspector cant find.

I like different backgrounds and different folks living near me. But not when it is multiple sets of family in the house which turns a single family street into Queens overnight
What town do you live in so i know where to stay away from

Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
I'd leave this dump and use the price savings to fly family and friends over to visit.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I'd leave this dump and use the price savings to fly family and friends over to visit.
Because cheaper places are so enticing to visit! They are less priced & populated for a reason.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS View Post
What town do you live in so i know where to stay away from
One of the Sandy Damaged towns. Older folks near me who were already set to sell pre-sandy but got caught up in real estate crash of 2009 to 2012 and then later got hit by Sandy now finally in 2015 a lot of pent up demand and homes are selling quickly.

At this point they just want their cash and want out before the next Sandy or Real Estate Crash. When times were good they tried to sell to nice families or professionals. Since Sandy every man for themselves.

Now when homes sell you are scared who are buying them. Used to be when an old person sold a home you looked forward to a nice young family who was going to fix it up.

Flippers, folks planing to rent it out, folks who previously were priced out coming from bad neighborhoods. Bringing the bad with them. Things change quick.

Look at Island Park for instance back in Summer 2005 nice middle class, blue collar town mainly Italian and Irish etc.

Today ten years later, absentee landlords who bought houses dirt cheap between 2009 and 2014 jamming them full of illegals and letting houses run into ground.

Once you live between two houses full of folks screaming and yelling and parking all over guess what the only person who will buy your house is another investor for dirt cheap. The cycle continues.

Manhasset, Garden City type places have the cost of admission and property taxes keeping these folks out.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Because cheaper places are so enticing to visit! They are less priced & populated for a reason.
I happen to like those reasons. I find them enticing. I don't find this place enticing. To each their own.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:10 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Sands point

Old 08-21-2015, 06:33 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Taxes are not a factor.

Lets say an identical home, identical size, property taxes, insurance etc. At same exact price could be plopped down in any town where would it be?

If I could transport my current house would it be Southampon, Manhasset, Laurel Hollow etc. Although I would imagine a 60x100 split in Laurel hollow would be a fun sight to look at. Maybe a beach block in Long Beach, maybe walking distance to train, who knows.

I'm curious what the entirety of Long Beach at-large really looked like and felt like in the 1970s and 1980s (or, for that matter, the 1950s and 1960s). I'd enjoyed visiting there various times and was impressed by all the lovely beachfront properties and towers, the boardwalk, all the nice standalone homes and apartment buildings throughout the Long Beach peninsula, all the great shoppng and the wide range and selection of shopping throughout, the varied architecture found there, the cleanliness of the streets and beaches, the varied interesting sections and neighborhoods of that peninsula at-large, et al.

And yet, from what various C-D commenters and other commenters elsewhere have said over the course of time about what Long Beach used to look like before it was "revitalized/gentrified", they described it (if I recall correctly) as "run down", "seedy", "dilapidated", and having a sizable-enough problem-prone population: the substance addicts/abusers, the crime-prone poor element whether subsidized or unsubsidized, the mentally ill, et al) and that it was a "dumping ground" for those elements. I don't know how pervasive all this was in Long Beach at-large or if it was just something you encountered there "occasionally" but that Long Beach was still a nice place to live or visit. And then if it was only for a stretch of certain years but, before that time period, it was a lovely place and, after that time period (meaning now), it is once again a lovely place overall.

I'd llike to see a photographic (and/or video) survery of what Long Beach (as a whole) used to look like during that time period of stagnation and decay that people have talked about. I'll look via web search for such photos and/or videos (if I can find any) . . . to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited by UsAll; 08-21-2015 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 06:41 PM

283 posts, read 581,533 times
Plandome, there is something very special about that neighborhood. In my dreams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island