Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Why is it that NY has this money distribution problem where few others are in the same boat? Why here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Thank you. I have been saying this for years and people look at me like I have two heads.

I realize it is a very expensive proposition. However there should be a long term plan to improve the reliability of the grid. LI is susceptible to hurricanes and bad storms. Over the long haul, underground makes sense to reduce outages and reduce cost of repairs/maintenance.

Their too busy padding their current salary/bonus. Not to mention the "long term" will be the problem of another power company - we seem to change power companies every few years.
At least harden up the main distribution points, and bury major cables where they can be buried. I totally get that it would take many many years to deal with all of the outlying infrastructure, but when you look at today's outage map it looks like outages across 150 square miles. Even if it started with Nassau and then went east from the center out it would help. Or, start at the coasts and work inward based upon risk. Anything.

As someone who lost power for 5 days after Irene and 9 days after Sandy the answer isn't to just suck it up and buy a generator (which I have). The electrical grid shouldn't be this fragile.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It's unfortunate that the infrastructure can't be buried. Where I live now summer storms are also really fierce, with a ton of lightning and windy conditions. And these are regular occurrences. The power rarely goes out, and when it does it's usually only for a few seconds to a few minutes.
You don't even live here? I would at least hope you live somewhere that is serviced by PSEG, otherwise why the heck do you even care?

Quote:
Actually, no. But given the continued rate increases one would hope that something improves, or at least an infrastructure program that shows that over the next 10-15 years this will get better.
Again, why does it matter to you?

It's pretty obvious that your only agenda in starting this thread is to Moderator cut: language porfavor over PSEG, which I don't really care about, but it's also kind of pathetic considering it likely doesn't effect you in the slightest.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-04-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
You don't even live here? I would at least hope you live somewhere that is serviced by PSEG, otherwise why the heck do you even care?

Again, why does it matter to you?

It's pretty obvious that your only agenda in starting this thread is over PSEG, which I don't really care about, but it's also kind of pathetic considering it likely doesn't effect you in the slightest.
Why should YOU care?

If it's not of interest to anyone then it'll quickly scroll off the page.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-04-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 10:54 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Why should YOU care?

If it's not of interest to anyone then it'll quickly scroll off the page.
I just like calling out idiocy.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 AM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Two organizations politically driven and short-sighted. It's a shame because with the right approach there could be real improvements in both. Instead, the LI commuter gets raped going to work and then raped at home with their electric bill.
Absolutely! The governor is responsible for appointing management for the MTA and LIRR, among others. Prendergast was bomb during his first tenure with the MTA in the '90s and he's more useless, fat and incompetent as ever during the his second term. The rest of the managers are no better, political glad-handers, in it for the bonus'.

You'll remember back to the days after Sandy, when the power grid was a mess and LIPA was getting bashed, deservedly so. Fast forward to ~ 4:30 AM this morning. No, it was no superstorm, not even a hurricane and yet, all of the changes the governor has sponsored, bringing in PSEG, have resulted in what is obviously more expensive power delivered by a power grid that is no more reliable than it was back in 2012. What a sham Albany is.

As mentioned by previous posts, both organizations are hugely driven by politics, with little or no accountability. We just pay and pay and pay, for what is really third world service at best.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Absolutely! The governor is responsible for appointing management for the MTA and LIRR, among others. Prendergast was bomb during his first tenure with the MTA in the '90s and he's more useless, fat and incompetent as ever during the his second term. The rest of the managers are no better, political glad-handers, in it for the bonus'.

You'll remember back to the days after Sandy, when the power grid was a mess and LIPA was getting bashed, deservedly so. Fast forward to ~ 4:30 AM this morning. No, it was no superstorm, not even a hurricane and yet, all of the changes the governor has sponsored, bringing in PSEG, have resulted in what is obviously more expensive power delivered by a power grid that is no more reliable than it was back in 2012. What a sham Albany is.

As mentioned by previous posts, both organizations are hugely driven by politics, with little or no accountability. We just pay and pay and pay, for what is really third world service at best.
That's the concern. At least with Sandy there was ample warning. While I do understand that there are a heck of a lot of trees that can blow down with 60 mph gusts, there was a lot of tree trimming over the past year - including a couple of nice cedars on my property - that were hacked so they didn't impact the lines. That's helpful, and probably prevented a couple of hundred additional outages, but it's time to look into longer-term, and more substantial, changes to make the grid more resilient.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:39 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
did not even realize about this storm until I turned on news 12 this morning. I guess it missed the Islip area.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I was awoken by the sudden rainfall and lied there throughout the whole 30+ minutes. I find it exciting when natural events like this occur (who needs 75F sun every day San Diego?!) - it was pretty strong, with LOTS of lightning but I heard no thunder in the middle of the island. I checked the radar at the time and yellow/red went right over us so it's strange. We didn't have an outage here.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:32 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Underground service has its own problems particularly in areas that flood or have snowy winters (all that salt and sand goes underground in the spring). Ask anyone who is in charge of the public utilities electric where there is underground service. ConEd is underground in Manhattan and people still lost power in Sandy due to flooding.

The big advantage to underground is that when they get the power back online, there is no need to go into every single neighborhood and look for downed lines, and homeowners don't have to reconnect service to their house. Tree trimming is not as much of an issue for the utility either as the overhead lines are in certain areas.
We've lost power a few times here when there has been snow and ice but once the outage is fixed at the source, the outage is over.

The big issue with PSEG is their inability to get the power back on quickly. I see the headline on Newsday that it may be days before the power is back; that's unacceptable in the absence of a huge storm - reading posts here this clearly affected only a small part of the Island. Both times I've lost power due to storms it's been due to "damaged equipment" and the longest we were without power was last winter for 8 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island