Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM

244 posts, read 664,413 times

Advertisements

Since it's so darn expensive living here, I Thought it'd be nice to start a thread where we can share some ideas on how Long Islanders creatively save money. I'll start off with one...

Myself, wife and son used to go to Olive Garden/Romanos 2-3 times a month. Average tab was $50. Now we only go to Sbarro Buffet in the Roosevelt Field Mall. Great italian food and the Average tab is less than $25! and I didn't have to waste $8 on tip. $75 extra in my pocket every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 PM

652 posts, read 2,258,542 times
Take a shower with a friend : )

Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM

5,224 posts, read 4,984,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Take a shower with a friend : )
That's a good one!!

I leave my heat no higher than 65 and turn it down when I leave the house for longer periods of time to 60

Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
Now we only go to Sbarro Buffet in the Roosevelt Field Mall

I go to the one in the Sunrise Mall. and always get the same dish (how boring is that?) , the lemon chicken . I just can not make that at home and I get a huge portion for less than $5.00.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,558,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Since it's so darn expensive living here, I Thought it'd be nice to start a thread where we can share some ideas on how Long Islanders creatively save money. I'll start off with one...

Myself, wife and son used to go to Olive Garden/Romanos 2-3 times a month. Average tab was $50. Now we only go to Sbarro Buffet in the Roosevelt Field Mall. Great italian food and the Average tab is less than $25! and I didn't have to waste $8 on tip. $75 extra in my pocket every month.
As the lightbulbs die, I have been replacing them with the compact florescent (spelling?) bulbs. I'm just about 1 year into the change over and my electric bill has gone down $10/month. There are still more bulbs to go. I just saw CF floodlights which can be dimmed so I am very excited that I will be able to replace my high hats with them, too. That should be a very tidy savings as high hats are pigs!

Last Feb I bought new energy efficient washer and dryer. My gas bill has gone down $4 month, and my water useage has decreased significantly.

I realise that the above required an initial outlay of money, but the lightbulbs (bought in BJs at a good savings) have already repaid themselves. The washer/dryer had rebates, the gas savings is already $48 for the year, and they are much larger than my old machines so I do a lot more laundry in less time

We keep the thermostats at 60 in the bedroom areas during the day and the living areas at 63.

I try to group all my errands into one trip whenever possible to save on fuel.

We borrow movies from the library as opposed to renting or buying.

When going out to dinner, we no longer order sodas or appetizers.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:06 PM

244 posts, read 664,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
As the lightbulbs die, I have been replacing them with the compact florescent (spelling?) bulbs.
Hi OhBee, thats a good idea are the flourescent bulbs as bright as the regular ones?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Hi OhBee, thats a good idea are the flourescent bulbs as bright as the regular ones?
Yes. A 15W GE Helical is the same as a 40W bulb. I was skeptical at first and bought one to try out. That had me sold. GE is my preferred CF.

The different manufacturers do make a difference, but it isn't about the lightbulb's W output as much as it is about the tone of the light it casts. I prefer a warmer light, and the GE helical does the trick. I have a number of parchment and amber colored fixtures and lampshades which also warm it up some more. The less expensive brands I found cast a whitish-blue tone (think dressing room ACK!) so I use them in the utility areas of the house and in the garage.

I've even bought a CF buglight for outside the back door!

One thing: The CF bulbs do not pop on when you flip the switch. They turn on low and then get to their proper brightness. This doesn't take much time at all. I walk into the kitchen, flip the switch and I have light, and in less than a minute it's full light.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:54 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,081,383 times
Of course, buy in bulk and cook meals at home. Don't buy lunch at work everyday. Don't buy Starbucks everyday. Basic things to save $ that many people do not do.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:01 PM

208 posts, read 910,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes. A 15W GE Helical is the same as a 40W bulb. I was skeptical at first and bought one to try out. That had me sold. GE is my preferred CF.

The different manufacturers do make a difference, but it isn't about the lightbulb's W output as much as it is about the tone of the light it casts. I prefer a warmer light, and the GE helical does the trick. I have a number of parchment and amber colored fixtures and lampshades which also warm it up some more. The less expensive brands I found cast a whitish-blue tone (think dressing room ACK!) so I use them in the utility areas of the house and in the garage.

I've even bought a CF buglight for outside the back door!

One thing: The CF bulbs do not pop on when you flip the switch. They turn on low and then get to their proper brightness. This doesn't take much time at all. I walk into the kitchen, flip the switch and I have light, and in less than a minute it's full light.
To add to this, I believe some manufacturers make different types of CF bulb light, for example, the ones they sell at The Home Depot (don't know the manufacturer's name off the top of my head) come in a soft light, or a bright white light. I put the bright white in the kitchen and damn, the place looks like Grand Central Station after they warm up, and I use the soft light ones for the living room, den and basement. the bright white one is great for an outdoor flood light too, it is super bright, and I believe a 21W bulb puts out about 125W light.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Of course, buy in bulk and cook meals at home. Don't buy lunch at work everyday. Don't buy Starbucks everyday. Basic things to save $ that many people do not do.

If people logged all of their expenditures, they would be shocked at some of the things they waste their money on. I used to buy the occasional Starbucks; switched to grabbing a 7-11 coffee. I actually prefer the taste of the 7-11 and save a couple of dollars per cup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island