Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:08 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
With these statements you ARE acting entitled, but you're 21 so we all go through this.

$17 an hour translates to $35K a year which is a suitable entry level position. Heck, it pays more than being a barista. Good start.

Because it is a lower-level, entry position, it won't be as challenging as you'd like. You might even think that you're "above" such a role because your knowledge exceeds what you're tasked with. Note that most - if not all - of your knowledge is the classroom, which doesn't always translate to what an employer wants or needs. Such is life. Also, as you are new to the workforce, you have to realize that "paying your dues" is part of it. You may be more intelligent than your co-workers and even your boss, but that doesn't make you smarter - yet. Understand the difference.

The $17 an hour job is a stepping stone. Nowadays it's expected you will job hop. I know someone who job hopped every year for 3 years, getting a 25% increase every time (she's now 26). So that $35K a year is now doubled.

Instead of complaining, buckle down and do the best job you can. Learn everything you can. And then make your next move.
The word "entitled" needs to be banned from this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:11 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
With these statements you ARE acting entitled, but you're 21 so we all go through this.

$17 an hour translates to $35K a year which is a suitable entry level position. Heck, it pays more than being a barista. Good start.

Because it is a lower-level, entry position, it won't be as challenging as you'd like. You might even think that you're "above" such a role because your knowledge exceeds what you're tasked with. Note that most - if not all - of your knowledge is the classroom, which doesn't always translate to what an employer wants or needs. Such is life. Also, as you are new to the workforce, you have to realize that "paying your dues" is part of it. You may be more intelligent than your co-workers and even your boss, but that doesn't make you smarter - yet. Understand the difference.

The $17 an hour job is a stepping stone. Nowadays it's expected you will job hop. I know someone who job hopped every year for 3 years, getting a 25% increase every time (she's now 26). So that $35K a year is now doubled.

Instead of complaining, buckle down and do the best job you can. Learn everything you can. And then make your next move.
Yup, in short, you need to be an experienced professional to be more marketable. Everyone goes through this. A degree in Mech Engineering may start someone at $55k while their potential with more expertise and experience is double that. Can't expect the same numbers with a PSY degree, but you start lower just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The word "entitled" needs to be banned from this forum.
Absolutely not. It's a perfect description - the only difference is if you take it personally.

en·ti·tled
inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

Last edited by ovi8; 08-21-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Yup, in short, you need to be an experienced professional to be more marketable. Everyone goes through this. A degree in Mech Engineering may start someone at $55k while their potential with more expertise and experience is double that. Can't expect the same numbers with a PSY degree, but you start lower just the same.

Absolutely not. It's a perfect description - the only difference is if you take it personally.

en·ti·tled
inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
If somebody was told for the first 22 years of their life that if they study, work hard, behave, and graduate from a good college, they will get a good job, then why are they labeled as "entitled" for expecting what was promised of them and that they earned?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:15 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
It is up to the OP, not you, to decide which she thinks is the lesser of two evils: living with her parents, or relocating away from them, if living near them but not with them isn't an option.
I have not made any statement what the OP should do, my statement paraphrases what the OP has posted. My phrase "I would think" is speculation that perhaps the OP would like the option to move out unlike your statement "unlike most posters on this forum, the OP wants to stay near the rest of his family, so he / she does not want to relocate".

The OP never stated they want to live at home in fact in her post (#64) "I would love to move out however leaving the nest and struggling is certainly not in my best interest nor a smart idea." so when I said " I would think at this point they would like to go out and try life on their own terms but don't have that option" my speculation was pretty much on the mark, the economics of LI does not allow a living income option for the OP.

Perhaps you thought you had a kindred spirit who believes family comes above all else including economic opportunity....maybe next time.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I have not made any statement what the OP should do, my statement paraphrases what the OP has posted. My phrase "I would think" is speculation that perhaps the OP would like the option to move out unlike your statement "unlike most posters on this forum, the OP wants to stay near the rest of his family, so he / she does not want to relocate".

The OP never stated they want to live at home in fact in her post (#64) "I would love to move out however leaving the nest and struggling is certainly not in my best interest nor a smart idea." so when I said " I would think at this point they would like to go out and try life on their own terms but don't have that option" my speculation was pretty much on the mark, the economics of LI does not allow a living income option for the OP.

Perhaps you thought you had a kindred spirit who believes family comes above all else including economic opportunity....maybe next time.
The OP's post that you refer to (Post #64) wasn't until after your post (Post #63).

Why do you have a problem with e putting family above economic opportunity? This may come as a shock to somebody like you, but not everybody worships the dollar.

You try to act like this tough military guy, but deep down, you are bitter and jealous that so far I have been able to stay near my family, while you didn't even make an honest attempt at trying. You try to act tough, but deep down, you are bitter, broken, and lonely. Why else would you feel the need to constantly attack a stranger on the internet like myself? Because you are jealous and bitter that I so far have achieved something that you failed to achieve and didn't even make an honest attempt at achieving. Otherwise, you would be happily posting on the Virginia forum and leaving us Yankees alone!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:54 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
If somebody was told for the first 22 years of their life that if they study, work hard, behave, and graduate from a good college, they will get a good job, then why are they labeled as "entitled" for expecting what was promised of them and that they earned?
They got their job. But who promised them a certain amount of money? That's the issue that was brought up.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:54 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Your problem isn't that you have a bad/low paying job. Your problem is that you support 2 people unnecessarily.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The OP's post that you refer to (Post #64) wasn't until after your post (Post #63).

Why do you have a problem with e putting family above economic opportunity? This may come as a shock to somebody like you, but not everybody worships the dollar.

You try to act like this tough military guy, but deep down, you are bitter and jealous that so far I have been able to stay near my family, while you didn't even make an honest attempt at trying. You try to act tough, but deep down, you are bitter, broken, and lonely. Why else would you feel the need to constantly attack a stranger on the internet like myself? Because you are jealous and bitter that I so far have achieved something that you failed to achieve and didn't even make an honest attempt at achieving. Otherwise, you would be happily posting on the Virginia forum and leaving us Yankees alone!

Why do you make every topic about you? My posted impressions were based on what the OP posted prior to my post, your the one saying "The OP already said that he/she is living with his/her parents, so the cost of living is moot." which is completely false as the OP clarified in post #64.

Seek professional help, if you feel attacked because someone on a public board disagrees with one of your posts and uses your own words to show what statements you have made. You have presented your preferences in almost every post , you have referred to other posters statements as "That is another case of a poster applying her preferences to the OP", "it brings up an inherent problem with asking advice from strangers on the internet: we are going to answer based on our own preferences" then you provide your preference once again...

You attack every poster who has recommended leaving, working in the city or moving from mom & dad with comments like "And how does that post help the OP?", "And that is useful advice, that different people have different ideas as to how much pain they are willing to endure for the possibility of greater payback later", and here's a real gem of yours "The purpose of this thread is to help the OP, not for you to brag about the sacrifices that you made, and not for you to be judgmental of myself or anybody else"

I don't know why you think I'm bitter nothing in my posts have criticized the OP on her choice and as I write in my responses this is to the OP not you! Maybe I figure she is like most 20 something's fresh out of college and wanting to strike out, not everyone want to camp out with their parents for another 10 years the way you seem to. So worry about your own hollow meaningless life and don't assume everyone is as bitter and miserable as your appear to be.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:57 PM

OP sorry that some posters feel the need to make this about them, I hope the decision(s) you made is right for you...

Old 08-21-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Your problem isn't that you have a bad/low paying job. Your problem is that you support 2 people unnecessarily.
My wife has tried hard to find a job, but unfortunately, she has a PhD in a useless field and zero non-academic work experience, so nobody wants to hire her.

If you want to discuss this further, please send me a direct message rather than posting here. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island