Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,078 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So about 15 months ago ago, the neighbor located behind us has installed an above ground pool.

An above ground pool is inappropriate for our community. I have a second-floor deck attached to my house and this pool is clearly visible from it. Therefore, I can not have guests over. Their pool has reduced my property values and has cheapened the look of the community. All of the neighboring homes that have pools have in-ground pools or even the so-called semi-inground pools (which I approve of).

I've taken several approaches to remedy the issue. My first course of action was that I went over to their property [last spring] and kindly asked them to remove their swimming pool. I even have given them a 3 month (12 week) deadline to comply. They refused and the conversation ended at that. The next week, I returned to them and in addition to kindly requesting them to do the same thing, I even offered to assist them financially in the process. They declined. I was very generous since at the time of their deadline, it was already september and the warm season was coming to a close.

Last week, a relative and I disassembled the pool by ourselves and then the next day, the homeowner came to our home and threatened us. They claimed to have filed a police report on that same day but we have not seen it yet (which leads me to believe that they fabricated seeking legal action). Keep in mind that no damage has been done to the pool when we were taking it down.

How do you recommend that I proceed? Should I bring up the issue with the Town of North Hempstead? Should I hire an attorney? How have you addressed a quality of life issue such as this one?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
IF your story was true you would have already been arrested and charged with more than one crime because I do not know any homeowner who would sit back and allow anyone to do anything remotely close to what you say you did on their property.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:52 PM

397 posts, read 515,963 times
If this in fact true, you belong in jail. What right do you have to enter your neighbors property and disassemble a pool? I hope the neighbor did file a police report and they come knocking on your door.

Get over yourself, let the neighbor enjoy his pool. Im glad you're not my neighbor... We wouldnt do well together, I guarantee that.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:55 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Sounds like a crock, according to you a neighbor has done something you don't like. You make no mention of what law they violated just that "An above ground pool is inappropriate for our community" so based on that you and your relative chose to disassemble his pool. I mean you were reasonable, you said you "kindly asked them to remove their swimming pool. I even have given them a 3 month (12 week) deadline to comply"

What should you do???? If their is any validity to this story I hope the neighbor sues you and or bring criminal charges against you and your relative. If it was my yard I would add a tiki bar, torches and outside music just to add to the ambiance...

Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Above ground pools are legal in the Town of North Hempstead.

Don't like it? Stay inside. Move.

You are in the wrong.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:40 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
Wow I hope you didn't send them a letter detailing the 12 week deadline.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
inappropriate by rules ( such as a HOA) or inappropriate because you don't like seeing it? I am guessing its the latter, because if was against the community rules... you probably would have snitched by now. You sound like the kind of person that would go ballistic if someone came onto your property and did something to your yard without permission, but have no qualms about taking that kind of action yourself. What would be the grounds for taking legal action?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:07 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Number 1, two wrongs don't make a right. Number 2. I don't know that the neighbor was wrong in the first place, you however, were in fact trespassing.

Let's try this hat on for size. You neighbor has a the very same second floor deck that you do. You like the NY Yankees, so you decide to paint the back of your home in pin stripes and place a NY Yankee licensed street sign in your yard. Your neighbor doesn't think what you did to YOUR property looks nice from his deck so he sneaks into the yard and paints over the stripes and removes the sign. How do you feel about that?

You sound like you need to understand what homeownership entails and what being a good neighbor means. People do not need your permission to put a pool in their yard.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
People actually think this is real???

Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Wow, someone living on Long Island who is upset about an above ground pool? Must be someone who grew up in Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island