Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 AM

17 posts, read 120,112 times

Advertisements

in an effort to minimize threads, please feel free to post questions/comments re: any and all train station parking questions here.

that being said - I'm purchasing a house in malverne. it's schools are valley stream district 13. I understand that the school factor does not make me a resident of valley stream. (please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong)

I need to take the LIRR to Penn.

honestly, I didn't study the malverne train schedule well enough. So I want to know, what is non-resident parking like in Valley Stream?

Per the village's website, I can get a "non-resident" sticker (whereas Lynbrook won't do any non-resident stickers (meters only)).

Anyone know how easy it is to get a non-resident parking sticker in Valley Stream? Is there a wait-list? And once one gets a non-resident sticker, are there typically enough parking spots available btwn 7:00am - 9:30am? or do I have to be at the station at 5 am to secure a spot?

thank you in advance for your responses!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 AM

anyone?!? I'd dying to know what the deal is!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:45 AM

22,107 posts, read 19,318,576 times
I can't speak on Valley Stream, but will chime in on my situation. I live in the Massapequa Park zipcose (11762), but happen to be outside the actual village itself. Massapequa Park does have permit parking for non residents, however its $135 or so a year and its a 5 year wait list just to get on. I drive past the Massapequa Park train station everyday to park at the Massapequa train station where parking is an utter nightmare for anyone who works a later job. I work from 10-6, though usually get to my desk around 9:30, take the 8:18 train from Massapequa, and usually park somewhere in Guam.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:19 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,473,695 times
You can look up the train schedules on http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp

Trains leave out of Malverne at 7:00, 7:24, 7:44 and 8:37...need to transfer at Jamaica on most, but still only a 45 minute trip. The parking lot isn't huge but any time I'm over there it seems like there's plenty of spots.

I don't know about getting a Valley Stream non-resident sticker, sorry.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 PM

thanks guys for your responses.

sean sean, I'm glad to hear that there's parking in malverne. that's a HUGE relief. my only concern with malverne are trains coming back at night. the schedule gets pretty spotty and I tend to work later. would hate to have to sit in penn for an hour and a half + waiting and waiting, esp. come 10pm. thought that a few minutes drive to valley stream would solve any potential scheduling hiccups. the trains seem to run like mad through valley stream and it should only take 5-10 minutes to drive down there. will see what happens.

smash255 - I suspected that there would be a wait list b/c I'm dealing with that now where I am in westchester. I live on the edge of one town but actually closer to the train on a diff. line. My town has a FOUR year wait list - for RESIDENTS!!!! Four years!! And I think the fee is something like $175. My neighboring town, the closer one, has a 1 year wait list. However, the non-resident fee... $1,200. Twelve hundred dollars. crazy. So my hubby has been dropping me off and picking me up. it's ridiculous. There are meters but I've gone to the station a few times and not found a meter spot - only to drive back home and drag hubby out of bed again anyway.

I'll close the loop on this tomorrow when I call the village hall. nonetheless, thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 11,397 times
Default Lirr To Nyc

Hello, I just moved to Malverne in July of 07. I take the lirr every day. I take the 7:24, when you get to Jamaica and you pick up the far rockaway train at 7:45. you are in Penn at 8:06. Not too bad unless you have to Travel downtown like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island