U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 PM

38 posts, read 42,519 times

Advertisements

I know people who have gone to, or are going to Touro Law Center. I also know a guy who is planning on going to law school but who isn't going to Touro, and is planning on going outside Long Island, to NYU. Do the lawyers here who don't go to Touro, go outside LI because it's the only law school here, or are there other law schools on LI that aren't as well known or renowned?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:06 PM

7,142 posts, read 10,683,203 times
Hofstra? St. Johns?

Old 08-16-2015, 10:24 PM

10,049 posts, read 10,391,948 times
St. John's is in Queens. Hofstra has a law school, well-known regionally, but not highly rated. Hofstra Law is much better than Touro, which is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:43 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,475,990 times
Touro is the lowest ranked law school in the NY area..most likely below CUNY Queens except CUNY is regarded as slightly better due to its lower tuition and focus on public sector law.

In terms of overall reputation, the best law schools are NYU and Columbia (top 10 in the US) followed by Fordham which ranks anywhere in the #20-35 spots, then Brooklyn and Cardozo-Yeshiva which jump rankings around the 45-75 spots, followed by the rest of the NY area law schools that usually rank in the 3rd tier such as Hofstra, St. Johns, New York Law (NYLS), Pace, and finally CUNY Queens and Touro that usually rank in the 4th tier.

PS. When I say rankings, I am referring to the US News & World Reports Law School/Grad school rankings.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:05 PM

38 posts, read 42,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Hofstra? St. Johns?
Are those law schools, or just colleges that happen to have some law classes? Touro is a law center, meaning that it's a grad school that only has classes on law.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:12 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,475,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern400 View Post
Are those law schools, or just colleges that happen to have some law classes? Touro is a law center, meaning that it's a grad school that only has classes on law.
Hofstra Univ, St. Johns Univ and Touro College all offer various graduate level / law and MBA programs. Touro Law Center is a graduate program within Touro College which requires a BA, LSAT scores and a separate application, just as any other post-BA/BS graduate program. If you go to www.tourolaw.edu, you can learn more about what their program entails along with admission requirements.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:31 AM

91,585 posts, read 88,853,840 times
hofstra is excellent . my son graduated there in the top 1% and got snatched right up by a national law firm where he is a partner today .

be aware though , many law firms do not recruit from long island schools .

the company he is working for denied him in the nyc office telling him if he switched to brooklyn , nyu or columbia law they would consider him .

it was only because he was an editor for a labor law newsletter that the white plains office of his company took notice and hired him for the summer .

ironically he works very closely on some cases and is friendly with the very fellow who had denied him 8 years ago because he was in hofstra law . .

Old 08-17-2015, 04:53 AM

4 posts, read 10,419 times
I was looking at Hofstra at one point but quickly decided that it was beneath me. I don't get how such a third-rate school could charge $35,000+ in tuition. If it was an Ivy or even something like UConn then fine- BUT HOFSTRA! I went in with the admissions counselor and she said that as long as I had a measly 2.7 GPA then i'm pretty much guaranteed admission. It was clear that I was better than all of them

From my school, the only ppl that ended up there were the douchy C-average party crowd and the airhead blondes who couldn't fathom life outside of LI and didn't want to go far from daddy's teat. Very snobby atmosphere. This is the same case with LIU, CW Post, Dowling, Adelphi and other high-price/3rd rate schools. You'd be better off with local SUNY Old Westbury or Farmingdale, at least their tuition is fair for what you're getting. Stony Brook is the only school that i'd consider to be good value on LI (if your willing to drive all the way out east to Oxymethheadland.

As for the law school, I know a guy who went there and did extremely well. He ended going for an MBA afterwards b/c he couldn't find employment at all (he was even a jew), now the dude is in debt over $100k. With the case of law school, either AIM HIGH or don't aim at all...you need to go to a top school if you want to have a fighting chance at being a lawyer (if not then you better have some awesome connections).

Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 AM

91,585 posts, read 88,853,840 times
that sums up the above reply best . i guess the spelling of the name says it all .

Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 AM

4,539 posts, read 5,645,423 times
Brooklyn Law is also really good and kinda on Long Island

St. Johns is best if you want to go into govt or be a judge

Columbia or NYU for a white shoe law firm career
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island