Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM

84 posts, read 229,635 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am requesting your opinion once again on my property. I live in the Town of North Hempstead and am looking put in a fence for the house so my dog can run around. I have a couple problems.

1) my backyard slopes downward - I am hoping to level it. I had a landscaping company come and looked and he said we'll need to put in a permit, which is a pain in TNH.
2) Fence less than 4 ft - If I were to put in a fence less than 4 Ft tall, do I still need a permit?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 03:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Actually the fence permit is a snap. You take the survey and bill of sale from the contractor for the fence and fill out the paper work which is very simple. They will review it and calculate a per foot charge. In my case the permit was $50 and the per foot added $25. I only had to fence one side. It is pretty cut and dry.

That is how I found out about my a/c permit problem and they turned down the fence application until I had the a/c resolved (I bought house in 97 with central a/c already installed, closed with no problem, did a permitted addition in 98 and still no problem, in 2012 I wanted to put in the fence and the saga of permits in TNH began).

Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 AM

344 posts, read 717,679 times
The 4-foot height restriction on front-facing fences is the largest piece of BS.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM

nuts2uiam - how did this whole fencing permit get into the a/c permit problem?? Do they need to look inside your house too even if you are just doing the fence? That's one of my concern. I dont mind filing, but i am afraid it will open up a whole can of worms.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 AM

125 posts, read 462,468 times
The reason for the AC was that the unit stays outside the house and it was not likely on the survey they have in the town file, so they assume it was put it after and without permits. I agree that 4ft stinks for a fence, but you can always file a variance if you wish to have a higher height. It's all about the town making more money off the homeowner.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Actually 4ft fence is ok for me because it's not so much to keep my neighbors out, it's more to keep my dog in. Do you know of any good fencing company?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang427 View Post
nuts2uiam - how did this whole fencing permit get into the a/c permit problem?? Do they need to look inside your house too even if you are just doing the fence? That's one of my concern. I dont mind filing, but i am afraid it will open up a whole can of worms.
Our side neighbors put up a vinyl fence and took down the chain link. We wanted the back side fence to match so we put the permit app in. We had bought the house with the central a/c back in '97 and it was on the original survey but neither the attorney nor the title search folks mentioned it to us as being a problem. Fast forward to 2012 when our neighbors did the fence. We put the application in and they picked up the lack of permit for the a/c. Bear in mind that since you are a recent purchaser during the time frame of the witch hunt for permits, you should be fine. Your purchase would have been flagged before you were able to close, provided you have not altered the outside footprint of your home. We bought when no one gave a rats patootie about permits.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:57 PM

125 posts, read 462,468 times
I personally used Amendola's and they did a great job.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM

nuts2uiam - We did not alter any footprint of the house externally but did have to give the house a face lift before we moved in. I m not sure what's up to code and what's not in the house. Afterall, I only own it for 8 months. I am afraid once I put in the permit for the fence which is inevitable because they wont let you go without one, might open up a whole can of worms. They do not need to come into the house to inspect anything, do they?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM

No need to worry at all. If you did not alter the footprint you will have no problem. You are allowed to paint and side and replace the windows (provided you didn't significantly increase/decrease the opening.)

They had to come into my home because the electrical inspector had to see the electrical connection to the a/c in the basement. That is the only reason he entered, so you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: