Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm commuting on a regular basis into Civilisation, I'm beginning to find the provincial attitudes of the natives more funny than annoying.

Some reminders for LI'ers:

1) Simply NOT dressing in $75 designer jeans and other mall-purchased regalia is still not a crime that merits reporting to the Police, contrary to the apparent local belief. Though, I would be delighted to have some kind of a little problem that would give me standing to sue one of these xenophobic yutzes for harassment, or something.

2) Smoking tobacco is still legal, believe it or not. LI'ers who belong to the super-duper sensitive health nut classification sometimes need to be reminded of this, less than politely, with an accompanying helpful offer to translate what I just said into two syllable words, suitable to their intelligence level.

3) Drivers who make a habit of nearly running me over...their eyesight miraculously improves when I conspicuously hold a baseball sized ROCK, and grin while staring them right in the eye. I'm refraining from actually performing some experiments, testing some idiots cell phone for suitability as the World's Largest Supposititory.

4) This place really ought to declare independence from the USA, and declare itself the Grand Duchy of Burbville, or something. Just think; you could sell royal titles. Duchess of Hicksville. Duke of Plainview. And, postage stamps for collectors, with pictures of shopping malls, sneering people, and chain store logos.

Ah, the lighter side of global warming. Glug, glug, glug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 03:36 PM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
Default I'd give my right eye right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Now that I'm commuting on a regular basis into Civilisation, I'm beginning to find the provincial attitudes of the natives more funny than annoying.

Some reminders for LI'ers:

1) Simply NOT dressing in $75 designer jeans and other mall-purchased regalia is still not a crime that merits reporting to the Police, contrary to the apparent local belief. Though, I would be delighted to have some kind of a little problem that would give me standing to sue one of these xenophobic yutzes for harassment, or something.

2) Smoking tobacco is still legal, believe it or not. LI'ers who belong to the super-duper sensitive health nut classification sometimes need to be reminded of this, less than politely, with an accompanying helpful offer to translate what I just said into two syllable words, suitable to their intelligence level.

3) Drivers who make a habit of nearly running me over...their eyesight miraculously improves when I conspicuously hold a baseball sized ROCK, and grin while staring them right in the eye. I'm refraining from actually performing some experiments, testing some idiots cell phone for suitability as the World's Largest Supposititory.

4) This place really ought to declare independence from the USA, and declare itself the Grand Duchy of Burbville, or something. Just think; you could sell royal titles. Duchess of Hicksville. Duke of Plainview. And, postage stamps for collectors, with pictures of shopping malls, sneering people, and chain store logos.

Ah, the lighter side of global warming. Glug, glug, glug.
to be back on Long Island. Florida is the pits. I will return someday.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:43 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post

Hope you can make that dream a reality. LI is a wonderful place to call home and I am sorry you are so sad to be away.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:23 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,131 times
Default Us too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
We are working on it too- our house is for sale. Good luck to you!

In the meantime, I am saving up for the hugest SUV I can get, and dieting like mad so I can be the required size 4, which will render me permanently hungry and angry, and ready to hit the mauls!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
We are working on it too- our house is for sale. Good luck to you!

In the meantime, I am saving up for the hugest SUV I can get, and dieting like mad so I can be the required size 4, which will render me permanently hungry and angry, and ready to hit the mauls!
Funny side note...read a story about how a Prius is worse for the environment than a Hummer...gotta love the libs...

Good luck, ole' Dada...enjoy the BX and all it's wonder. Leave the LI to the people that love it.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Good luck, ole' Dada...enjoy the BX and all it's wonder. Leave the LI to the people that love it.

Oh, yes, gratefully.

I forgot to suggest...an AMY FISHER COMMEMORATIVE STAMP!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Oh, yes, gratefully.

I forgot to suggest...an AMY FISHER COMMEMORATIVE STAMP!
There are so many Bronx jokes that can plugged in here, it's making my head spin.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Default No so fast my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Funny side note...read a story about how a Prius is worse for the environment than a Hummer...gotta love the libs...

...I looked into this too (I drive a Civic Hybrid for the HOV privilege...to be frank, my purchase had nothing to do with the environment) and actually found the opposite to be true. This was a recent snippet from last year on the autoconnection website:

Referring to articles touting "Hummer Greener than Prius"

...but it isn't a

Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
1. CNW assumed that the lifespan of a Hummer is 379,000 miles and that a Prius goes to the wrecking yard after only 109,000 miles. Where these mileage numbers came from is anyone’s guess, but if actual Hummer and Prius data were used, this alone would have reversed CNW’s conclusions.

2. The CNW report contains many obvious errors. In one case, they came up with a total of $344,128 by multiplying 11,763 gallons of gas by $3.00 a gallon. Even a rough calculation in your head will tell you that the correct total should be around $34,000, a tenth of CNW’s total. Mistakes like this do not inspire confidence in CNW’s conclusions.

Suffice to say, CNW’s report is shoddy work. Your intuition was right all along. The Prius consumes much less energy than the Hummer over their lifespans. For detailed critiques of the CNW report, click here, here, and here.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
1. CNW assumed that the lifespan of a Hummer is 379,000 miles and that a Prius goes to the wrecking yard after only 109,000 miles. Where these mileage numbers came from is anyone’s guess, but if actual Hummer and Prius data were used, this alone would have reversed CNW’s conclusions.

2. The CNW report contains many obvious errors. In one case, they came up with a total of $344,128 by multiplying 11,763 gallons of gas by $3.00 a gallon. Even a rough calculation in your head will tell you that the correct total should be around $34,000, a tenth of CNW’s total. Mistakes like this do not inspire confidence in CNW’s conclusions.

Suffice to say, CNW’s report is shoddy work. Your intuition was right all along. The Prius consumes much less energy than the Hummer over their lifespans. For detailed critiques of the CNW report, click here, here, and here.
There are no links. If this is the article I read, they also took into account the nastiness of creating the nickel battery, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island