Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

I'm mainly referring to Nassau since Suffolk is a lot less developed overall and I wouldn't expect there to be too many apartment buildings to begin with. The only apartments I see larger than 3 stories are in Long Beach and Hempstead Village, and even those are usually no more than about 6 stories tall. Are there some sort of regulations preventing the construction of apartment buildings more than 3 stories tall in most of the municipalities of Nassau County, or are there infrastructural issues preventing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 12:04 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Building tall buildings is expensive, so developers build "up" instead of "out" based on the cost of land (a product of demand). For example, Manhattan has skyscrapers because the land is extraordinarily expensive, and as you go further away from Manhattan, building height drops along with land cost.

Zoning and local laws also play a role, but those tend to be tweaked given enough demand. There just isn't enough demand in most of Long Island to make high-density housing worthwhile, particularly since your average buyer is looking to get away from the density of the city. Right now we're starting to see more high-density housing in communities surrounding major transportation hubs such as Mineola, which is catering to commuters as well as locals who can't afford to buy a house.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm mainly referring to Nassau since Suffolk is a lot less developed overall and I wouldn't expect there to be too many apartment buildings to begin with. The only apartments I see larger than 3 stories are in Long Beach and Hempstead Village, and even those are usually no more than about 6 stories tall. Are there some sort of regulations preventing the construction of apartment buildings more than 3 stories tall in most of the municipalities of Nassau County, or are there infrastructural issues preventing it?
Freeport and Mineola have a lot of apartment buildings over 3 floors. The areas near the Roosevelt Field Mall have larger apartment buildings too. For example, I think the Hofstra dorms are around 14 floors.

But yes, zoning is the main thing keeping building heights low.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:33 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Zoning and the fire depts. ability to handle a major fire in a high rise.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:05 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
hell no, keep that bullocks in the city. Leave our green grass and tall tree'd suburbia alone.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know when I used to live in Great Neck, all buildings are three stories or less, unless they are one of the 3 pre-war buildings. It seems there were some zoning changes which now prohibit from building taller than 3 stories. The 3 pre-war buildings are the more expensive and desirable.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:06 PM

300 posts, read 552,684 times
Zoning.. Most towns in Nassau are fighting to keep their suburban identity.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:19 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
This supposed to be the burbs.
The big buildings were supposed to stay in the city.
City. Burbs.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM

172 posts, read 185,490 times
The real reason is that planes are flying into Kennedy airport. The locals don't want anyone to get any bright ideas about jumping up and holding on to the landing gears.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:02 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
No the real reason is: earth quakes. Think about what just a 6 on the richter scale would do to tall buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island