U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,485 times

Advertisements

ok, heres my scenario, i live in a ill. basement apt in a single family home.. the landlord lives in the home with his family; i will give you a head count of the "full" house. Him, wife, 2 kids..his sister in law, a man his wife and a kid, another man. these people live in the "main" of the house..this is where it gets twisted...the garage is a fully converted illegal 1 bedroom apt (looks like garage from the street) inhabited by a man, his wife and 2 kids..this apt is 1br/full kitchen/bath. Sep. entrance, and is hooked up to the main homes utilities incl. cable..i used to pay 1k for this apt. if you go into the basement (seperate entrance through home and outside with no lighting at night outside) you will find 3 apts (rooms) all are sharing one bathroom which is fully drained into an illegally installed sub-pump (gray and black water) to the cess-pool outside and the other 2 rooms have "house rights" which means they can use the kitchen and bath upstairs if need be..i have not been given this ok so i fend for myself. the 1st room is occupied by the ll's nephew, an illegal immigrant with no papers, no heat etc., the second room is like a walk in closet, no heat no window and is occupied by a couple. then theres my room, no heat (bought 2 heaters to keep warm), mold, the water pipes for outside are continually making the mold grow in here. i have a normal type single pane flap-window that i cannot get out of in an emergency. i have an optimum modem in here which i pay for in the rent and the house is illegally running cable lines to the other computers/tv's accessing optimum cable/internet for themselves. the landlord is charging outrageous rent for my walmart salary biweekly paydays and i cant keep up anymore(425 upped to 570.00 just for me)..it makes me wonder if he is even collecting rent for everyone else in the house like he claims.....and im at the point where i am ready to call who i need to to have this place shut down.. such as cablevision, the town of brookhaven, fire marshalls, INS, to name a few....i have been paying this man in cash and money orders..it has gotten behind due to me not having transpo to work, and being in the cold ive gotten sick and have missed alot of work trying to get better and not being able to see my doc due to being booked solid. ive had it with this place....all i asked for was quiet time for my sleep, (i work overnights) and to leave me alone as all i do is sit on the computer and read when im here..im so quiet they dont know im here. i have a senior (14yo) siamese cat whos health has shockingly deteriorated since moving into this room and cant afford a vet bill, i will be putting her down soon shes so ill. what can i do as im at the point financially that i can barely eat hes taking so much money? i have nowhere to go and no money to move, everywhere i've looked is too high in rent..i'm only looking for non drug-alcohol use home, highspeed internet, a room (i smoke outside), kitchen use (i dont cook much but i like a real meal like any other human) and quietness. is this so much to ask for?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,503,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtisaam View Post
ok, heres my scenario, i live in a ill. basement apt in a single family home.. the landlord lives in the home with his family; i will give you a head count of the "full" house. Him, wife, 2 kids..his sister in law, a man his wife and a kid, another man. these people live in the "main" of the house..this is where it gets twisted...the garage is a fully converted illegal 1 bedroom apt (looks like garage from the street) inhabited by a man, his wife and 2 kids..this apt is 1br/full kitchen/bath. Sep. entrance, and is hooked up to the main homes utilities incl. cable..i used to pay 1k for this apt. if you go into the basement (seperate entrance through home and outside with no lighting at night outside) you will find 3 apts (rooms) all are sharing one bathroom which is fully drained into an illegally installed sub-pump (gray and black water) to the cess-pool outside and the other 2 rooms have "house rights" which means they can use the kitchen and bath upstairs if need be..i have not been given this ok so i fend for myself. the 1st room is occupied by the ll's nephew, an illegal immigrant with no papers, no heat etc., the second room is like a walk in closet, no heat no window and is occupied by a couple. then theres my room, no heat (bought 2 heaters to keep warm), mold, the water pipes for outside are continually making the mold grow in here. i have a normal type single pane flap-window that i cannot get out of in an emergency. i have an optimum modem in here which i pay for in the rent and the house is illegally running cable lines to the other computers/tv's accessing optimum cable/internet for themselves. the landlord is charging outrageous rent for my walmart salary biweekly paydays and i cant keep up anymore(425 upped to 570.00 just for me)..it makes me wonder if he is even collecting rent for everyone else in the house like he claims.....and im at the point where i am ready to call who i need to to have this place shut down.. such as cablevision, the town of brookhaven, fire marshalls, INS, to name a few....i have been paying this man in cash and money orders..it has gotten behind due to me not having transpo to work, and being in the cold ive gotten sick and have missed alot of work trying to get better and not being able to see my doc due to being booked solid. ive had it with this place....all i asked for was quiet time for my sleep, (i work overnights) and to leave me alone as all i do is sit on the computer and read when im here..im so quiet they dont know im here. i have a senior (14yo) siamese cat whos health has shockingly deteriorated since moving into this room and cant afford a vet bill, i will be putting her down soon shes so ill. what can i do as im at the point financially that i can barely eat hes taking so much money? i have nowhere to go and no money to move, everywhere i've looked is too high in rent..i'm only looking for non drug-alcohol use home, highspeed internet, a room (i smoke outside), kitchen use (i dont cook much but i like a real meal like any other human) and quietness. is this so much to ask for?
Listen.. while I truly do sympathize with your plight.. I really do.. you could visibly see this is what you were getting into when you rented it. This guy is an extreme.. truly.. and this is a truly UNSAFE condition. And is truly against the law.

You get what you pay for.. You could find probably an apartment for, the cheapest $700 - 800 month to l ive in someones basement or maybe second story apartment in a cape.. but you've already said taht you can't afford what you are paying now.. This is testament to the true housing problem we have on LI. You CAN'T get by on a Walmart (your words, not mine) salary here.
Unfortunately this slum lord condition is all that your money is going to be able to buy you. It's just so sad and I feel horrible that you are in this position. He can get away with it because if you were to report him they would truly shut down that house, as it is so blatantly unsafe and hazardous,but then you will end up with nowhere to live. He knows this, he knows that the people living in the house are in the same situation. He obviously can't afford his house becasue I doubt he really wants all of you their in this situation.

My only suggestion.. find a group of people like yourself in the same or similar situation and pool your money together for a house rental. You could find decent one maybe for about $2000 a month out in eastern suffolk. If you can find someplace or someone to stay with for a brief time while you save up your portion and they save up theirs, you could all move into a legal house rental together.. and if you are looking for someone to move with.. I suggest possibly scannig through Craig's List or posting a free ad there.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 31,085,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtisaam View Post
Call the town and inquire about emergency housing.

You wrote that you need a drug/alcohol free residence -- have you tried contacting any of the counseling centers in Port Jeff?

Department of Social Services?

A local church or synagogue?

Sobriety is a hard thing to maintain, and I respect the fact that you know that you need to be somewhere that's clean. Good luck -- I'm pulling for you.

First thing is that you have to get out of your situation ASAP. Make those calls to those groups and let us know how you do.

Buy a cheap disposable camera when you're at work and document all hazardous and illegal situations.

Once you are out of there, Board of Health, Brookhaven Dept of Law, ICE and the Fire Marshall should be on your list of who to contact for starters.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Call the town and inquire about emergency housing.

You wrote that you need a drug/alcohol free residence -- have you tried contacting any of the counseling centers in Port Jeff?

Department of Social Services?

A local church or synagogue?

Sobriety is a hard thing to maintain, and I respect the fact that you know that you need to be somewhere that's clean. Good luck -- I'm pulling for you.

First thing is that you have to get out of your situation ASAP. Make those calls to those groups and let us know how you do.

Buy a cheap disposable camera when you're at work and document all hazardous and illegal situations.

Once you are out of there, Board of Health, Brookhaven Dept of Law, ICE and the Fire Marshall should be on your list of who to contact for starters.
That's good advice.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 883,180 times
I would also suggest that you secure new housing for yourself first, and then look to report this person. This is a terribly hazardous situation -- a huge accident waiting to happen. By my count, there are 17 people living in this house? You could try roommate ads in the local papers, and on Craigslist, as someone suggested. Maybe some local businesses would allow you to post index cards. Are the neighbors not concerned about this situation? I am sorry for you and also for the cat. Good luck to you.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM

181 posts, read 550,868 times
Do this on a weekday morning when the banks and town hall are open. Pack all your stuff and get ready to move out. If he's not violent and doesnt own a gun, Tell him to give you $10,000 cash right now or else you're going to the township and report him. If he gives you the money, leave immediately and find another place. That money should pay your rent for a year somewhere. If he doesnt, then you still have to leave that day but will be outta luck. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The worst that can happen is you're out on the streets. The best: Youre out on the streets with $10g in your pocket.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Do this on a weekday morning when the banks and town hall are open. Pack all your stuff and get ready to move out. If he's not violent and doesnt own a gun, Tell him to give you $10,000 cash right now or else you're going to the township and report him. If he gives you the money, leave immediately and find another place. That money should pay your rent for a year somewhere. If he doesnt, then you still have to leave that day but will be outta luck. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The worst that can happen is you're out on the streets. The best: Youre out on the streets with $10g in your pocket.

Has anyone ever told you that two wrongs do not make a right...

Yes.. this person seems like a slumlord, although if he did not even live inthe house himself I'd really put him in that slumlord category. Now, I'm not neccesarily defending this landlords actions by any means, however, from teh post I gather that most of the people living in the house are family. I also get that the person that owns the house with all these illegal renting going on it is is also living in it. Don't you think that the man who owns the home would much rather live on his own rather than have all these problems in his home (disrepair, lots of tennants with the lack of real privacey)? That doesn't by any means make this situation okay ..however if this LL HAD 10K in the bank would't need to be renting to all these people.

Of course if he is an absent landlord than it's a different story.. but why should this man stoop himself to his level thereby making him no better than the slumlord. It's just morally wrong and reprehensible.

He needs to get HIMSELF out of the situation and into a better situation. He is there because there is nothing else he can currently afford. Perhaps he can get help from a housing authority.. or the government for that matter and apply for section 8 housing. But what you are suggestion is that this person now commit extortion!

Again.. two wrongs do not make a right. Rise above!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,753,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post

You realize doing that would be illegal as well. It is extortion. And since this person is working on getting their life back together the last thing they need to do is start committing crimes.

And to the OP I wish you well on getting your life back on track.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:59 PM

181 posts, read 550,868 times
I know it was a crazy, unethical and illegal idea. But it's what I would do in that situation. And I wouldn't say it in those terms. Maybe something like "Goodbye..Do you want to offer me an incentive for keeping my mouth shut about this place?"

Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 19,366,827 times
That is blackmail, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island