Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 04:31 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Private physicians don't have emergency rooms to deal with overdoses/other acute drug-related problems, sweetheart.

And what I have forgotten about health care is more than you'll likely ever know.
Sweetheart? Excuse me, but the rich kids end up ODING as much as the poor ones, hunny.

Who the hell do you think you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 04:32 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Both manhassett and Jericho are both less white than Wantagh. Why would your hypothetical 'racist' white flighter want to move to either of those places?
True, there's even a black section in Manhasset called Spinney Hill...it's probably more mixed nowadays though

Old 09-22-2015, 04:38 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
True, there's even a black section in Manhasset called Spinney Hill...it's probably more mixed nowadays though
There are low income housing projects there as well. To imply that north shore towns are some fortified white strongholds just because they are expensive is complete nonsense.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:40 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
Quote:
Both manhassett and Jericho are both less white than Wantagh. Why would your hypothetical 'racist' white flighter want to move to either of those places?
The OP strictly asked about a black couple moving in.

The less white remark regarding say Jericho would simply be because of the high percentage of Asians. So the point stands as Jericho has a very small black population, like Wantagh....but is more expensive than Wantagh.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
Quote:
There are low income housing projects there as well. To imply that north shore towns are some fortified white strongholds just because they are expensive is complete nonsense.
What is so difficult to understand here.

It's like if I lived in Kings Point (or a comparable upscale area) and a black family moved in. While some may not like it, there is not going to be some major concern that Kings Point will be the next Baldwin, Elmont, Uniondale (areas that where once predominantly white) because the income threshold is too high for that sort of en masse demographic shift.

That concern does exist in middle income white areas and no one is saying that folks in the more upper income area are less racist they just have the cushion of higher home prices/income to insulate themselves from that type of neighborhood change.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:55 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
What is so difficult to understand here.

It's like if I lived in Kings Point (or a comparable upscale area) and a black family moved in. While some may not like it, there is not going to be some major concern that Kings Point will be the next Baldwin, Elmont, Uniondale (areas that where once predominantly white) because the income threshold is too high for that sort of en masse demographic shift.

That concern does exist in middle income white areas and no one is saying that folks in the more upper income area are less racist they just have the cushion of higher home prices/income to insulate themselves from that type of neighborhood change.
I see the point you are trying to make, but I don't agree with it. For your theory to make any sense there would have to be very few majority white communities on LI that are affordable. That is not the case. Not to mention a massive demographic shift to African American in say Wantagh is highly unlikely anytime soon. Anyone that panics and flees because a minority family moves onto their block in any of those towns because of the reason you stated is a fool and would likely do the same rich community or not.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,599 times
I'm not racist. I have four black tires for crying out loud.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I live in Garden City, and the answer is no: I wouldn't have a problem with a black couple moving in next door, as long as they act like any other middle class family living in the area.
Any family that can afford to live in an area like Garden City isn't going to be a problem, and Garden City has aggressive zoning, regulations, and police to prevent things from getting bad. I'm sure the Central Park West crowd are all for diversity as well, seeing as how their version of a black family moving in is Jay Z.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:59 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
It forces them to look outside of their own cultural biases, hang out with children of different cultural and ethnic origins, and teaches them people are all human despite skin color. Memphis is a largely self segregated city split down black and white lines. I grew up an Army brat with friends from all over the world. I'm not going to let my children think segregation and racism is acceptable, and part of that is exposing them to all kinds of people by making a concerted effort to chose where we live, go to school, etc.
Children don't need racially mixed neighbors to appreciate other cultures any more than they need to live in the zoo to appreciate nature. Rather than a panacea, diversity is a source of conflict. The vast majority of people - of all colors - seek the company of people like themselves. While I'm sure you're the special snowflake that's the exception to the rule, most who praise diversity do not practice it. Race and tribe define peoples' lives right down to the television program they watched last night, but they would rather die than admit it.

Quote:
Funny enough, I just chewed out a neighbor kid for using the n word while playing with my kids. I don't tolerate that language at my house.
See, you are capable of setting a good example without moving your family into the ghetto.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Race and tribe define peoples' lives right down to the television program they watched last night, but they would rather die than admit it.

Really? That might be true with the elderly demographic but not so much with the under 35 crowd.

Amongst my big circle of diverse friends; we mostly love American Idol, Orange is the New Black, Family Guy, Mob Wives, The View, American Horror Story, etc

Heck, they even say that more whites watch BET than blacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island