Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,952 times

Advertisements

We have a beautiful area, great commute to NYC unless you move into Nassau, great downtown area and great teachers and kids. Our administration is way over paid and our taxes go up every year.
If you are an involved parent, your children will do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Cold Spring Hills is nice, but it isn't the same as estate filled Cold Spring Harbor, particular off Woodbury Road heading into Huntington, Lawrence Hill Road, etc., etc. Too many roads to list here. Definitely a more monied area than Cold Spring Hills. That was the point I was trying to make 1.4 years ago. One of the posters was very offended by this fact.

As far as school districts go, Lloyd Harbor's and Lloyd Neck's kids are included in the Cold Spring Harbor school district. Again, lots of $. Just get in a car and drive down West Neck Road until you get into Lloyd Harbor and take a look around (Huntington Road will also take you into the area of Lloyd Harbor that at one time I mistakenly thought was Cold Spring Harbor, which includes Snake Hill Road).

The Cold Spring Harbor school district definitely has a private school feel. The drawback is that since it is a small district, they are lacking some courses that a larger district is able to offer.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:18 AM

325 posts, read 737,357 times
Andrea, perhaps you should limit your comments to communities that you have more familiarity with than merely driving through.

Next time you are out for a drive head through the gates of Oheka (the 2nd largest private home in the US) and down Colonial Drive to see all the not very "monied" homes in the slums of Cold Spring Hills. It's a mere 5 minutes from Lawrence Hill and Snake Hill, so you won't have to travel too far into poor man's territory. You might want to cross over Jericho Tpk. to check out some of the estates in West Hills, also in the poor man's district 13.

Yes, there are some stunning homes of some fabulously wealthy people, particularly in Laurel Hollow and Lloyd Neck (now home to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie). Most "tourists" get the impression that this is characteristic of all CS and Lloyd Harbor. For the most part these estates have been broken up and subdivided in the last 20-30 years in favor of Upper Middle Class homes. I know this as I grew up in the community and am a graduate of CSH High School. My parent's home was a boring 3 bedroom ranch off Lawrence Hill Rd, not a waterfront Victorian or gold cost mansion. CS Harbor is overwhelmingly an upper middle class community. Cold Spring Hills, which I believe comprises less than 300 homes (having ben developed out of land from one mega estate), is quite similarly monied.

That said, the CS school district is absolutely wonderful in an academic sense. If I didn't send my kids to private school, this is the district I would want them in.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:10 PM

44 posts, read 135,144 times
I have have lived in Cold Spring Hills for 25 years and raised 3 kinds there. All went to public schools (Oakwood, Stimson, and Whitman). They had wonderful teachers, guidance, and friends. All three went on to the Ivy League (2 at Stanford and 1 at Yale). Kids will do great there especially if the parents stay involved (true anywhere).

I agree that CS Hills is quite similar to most of CS Harbor (at one point it was part of CS Harbor according to my house's deed). It's a very special and quiet community tucked high in the hills with the golf course, nature, and woodland surrounding us. Great place to grow up!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:54 PM

124 posts, read 292,945 times
I recently moved from Cold Spring Hills to North Carolina. I loved the area we lived in and the schools were great. We actually moved from Huntington village to CSHills and I was dead set against it, but in the end I loved it more, very convenient to many things. To clarify one point, the school day is not taught 1/2 the day in english, followed by 1/2 the day in spanish. South Huntington does offer a class that is taught in both english and spanish. You must apply by lottery and it is difficult to get into, there is usually a waiting list. BUT it is one class that is offered like that. I did not like the concept, but many others do, hence the waiting list. Although there are many beautiful houses in CSHills, it is not Cold Spring Harbor. the school districts are very different, south huntington is very diverse, csh-very, very wealthy and homogenous. However, you will still pay very high taxes in cold spring hills, but there are many affordable houses in the area.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:37 PM

325 posts, read 737,357 times
One of my neighbors houses sold in the last year for 1.3+m. Is that what we're calling affordable these days? Yes, you can find houses under 700K, but they likely need at least 200k worth of work or back Jericho Tpk. Again, you can also grab a house in CS Harbor for around the same price - same quality - same taxes. Again, I speak as someone who has lived/lives in both places.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGolf View Post
All three went on to the Ivy League (2 at Stanford and 1 at Yale).

LIGolf, the prerequisite for being in the Ivy League is that the college/university had to be in existence prior to the Revolutionary War, which sort of eliminates Stanford.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM

44 posts, read 135,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
LIGolf, the prerequisite for being in the Ivy League is that the college/university had to be in existence prior to the Revolutionary War, which sort of eliminates Stanford.
Where on earth did you come up with that definition?

Strictly, the term refers to athletics - 8 Northeastern schools in the Ivy League NCAA sports conference, including my alma mater, Cornell, which was founded in the 1860s - nearly a century after the Revolution.

The term has been broadened in the last 60-plus years to refer to centers of academic excellence and selectivity. These include schools such as Stanford, MIT, and Duke.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM

270 posts, read 969,769 times
Officially, the Ivies include 7 schools (Brown, Columbia, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Penn, and Yale) that are pre-revolution and 1 school (Cornell) that came in after the Civil War.

Unofficially, as LIGolf mentioned, other elite schools have been lumped in with the Ivies but are usually denoted with "New Ivies", "Little Ivies", "Southern Ivies", etc. I wouldn't refer to these as official "Ivy League", however. One grouping, "Ivy Plus" usually refers to the official 8 + MIT, Stanford, Chicago, and Duke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island