Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:39 AM

194 posts, read 425,402 times

Advertisements

Yeah just ranting.

Again, I was behind someone who was also making a left turn at a traffic signal.
They stopped at the white stop line and refused to pull into the intersection. under the light, while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear.

Of course the light turned red and they refused to make the left. Had this moron been waiting in the intersection they could perform a left turn and traffic in the turning lane would advance.

The light turned green, and again they sat there at the line. After some gentle coaxing via my horn they eventually edged forward but waited until the light turned red again due to heavy oncoming traffic.

Another horn prompt and they finally decided to make a left. However, since I was behind the line, I and others behind me, waited for a third red light to change again.

PULL UNDER THE FRIGGIN' LIGHT WHEN YOU MAKE A LEFT!

I believe two cars are allowed in the intersection while waiting to make a left.

Last edited by brianosaur; 09-19-2015 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 07:56 AM

156 posts, read 304,948 times
Ha! I know. This is a pet peeve of mine as well. It's as if they'll be sucked into some vortex if they venture beyond that white line. And if you're driving straight, they're hogging the entire road, blocking you're ability to drive around them. And then the guy behind YOU who has better visibility than you do, wants you to drive blindly around the first driver. . .

Old 09-19-2015, 09:29 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Just another idiot moron driving manner out here.

Do long islanders understand what it means to yield when getting onto a road?!?! So many times I see cars fly into the left hand lane instead of yielding to cars in the lane. So many fender benders happen this way too. Yield means yield folks.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:10 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Isnt pulling into the middle of an intersection to make a left turn technically improper? I remember I failed my first road test because I did exactly that. I was on Northern Blvd in Queens, making a left onto either Union Tpke or Francis Lewis Blvd, pulled into the intersection and made the turn right before the light turned red. The instructor said he was failing me because I did that. He said I should have waited at the white line until the oncoming cars were already past me before pulling into the intersection. (FWIW, I passed my 2nd road test with no issues).

I agree its a total pain, I do think some drivers are more cautious than others and panic if the light turns red, and they are still stuck in the intersection dealing w the oncoming cars rushing forward when their light turns green.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:35 AM

200 posts, read 379,884 times
According to NY Driver's Manual, it is ok to pull into an intersection to make a left. Here is excerpt:

Example: You want to turn left at an intersection ahead. A vehicle reaches the intersection from the opposite direction and moves straight ahead. You must wait for approaching traffic to go through before you turn. You may enter the intersection, however, to prepare for your left turn if the light is green and no other vehicle ahead of you plans to make a left turn (see "Turns" later in this chapter). When you enter the intersection, keep to the right of the center line. Keep your wheels straight to prevent a push into oncoming traffic if a rear-end collision occurs. When traffic headed toward you clears or stops for a red light, complete your turn.

Full: Chapter 5: Intersections and Turns | New York State DMV.

I find it more annoying that people beep at those who do not turn right on red. Just because it is the law, you do not have to make a right on red. Just speaks to the lack of patience that is abundant in NY drivers.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:50 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Don't move to N.C. People here cannot make a left hand turn without an invitation from the traffic gods. This includes when there is a steady green left turn arrow. I really hate to use my horn in a "no horn" culture but it's gotten to the point my hand is on the horn anytime I'm second in line for a left turn with an arrow.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
In Manhattan there are signs that say "don't block the box" they teach you to wait behind the line

Old 09-20-2015, 07:23 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianosaur View Post
Yeah just ranting.

Again, I was behind someone who was also making a left turn at a traffic signal.
They stopped at the white stop line and refused to pull into the intersection. under the light, while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear.

Of course the light turned red and they refused to make the left. Had this moron been waiting in the intersection they could perform a left turn and traffic in the turning lane would advance.

The light turned green, and again they sat there at the line. After some gentle coaxing via my horn they eventually edged forward but waited until the light turned red again due to heavy oncoming traffic.

Another horn prompt and they finally decided to make a left. However, since I was behind the line, I and others behind me, waited for a third red light to change again.

PULL UNDER THE FRIGGIN' LIGHT WHEN YOU MAKE A LEFT!

I believe two cars are allowed in the intersection while waiting to make a left.
That was you? Sorry. I just came back up here from Naples and getting back into the Long Islander traffic rules takes a couple days.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:11 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
I don't understand why you wouldn't make a right on red if it was permitted. And the first car should pull into the intersection to make a left.

What I don't understand is why people get off at M1 West on the Meadowbrook Parkway to go to the Roosevelt Field Mall then try to cross 4 lanes of traffic on Old Country Road to make a left when you could take M2 West which goes directly to the mall.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:05 AM

200 posts, read 379,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
I don't understand why you wouldn't make a right on red if it was permitted. And the first car should pull into the intersection to make a left.

What I don't understand is why people get off at M1 West on the Meadowbrook Parkway to go to the Roosevelt Field Mall then try to cross 4 lanes of traffic on Old Country Road to make a left when you could take M2 West which goes directly to the mall.
I don't either but I've been behind some folks that don't and have seen it in other lanes. I don't beep cuz I don't care, what's a couple of more seconds? But, someone in the line of cars behind me usually does :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island