Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
There's typing, printing, and cursive.
If you had to pick two of the three, which would you?
Typing and Cursive.

Block writing is for idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Typing and Cursive.

Block writing is for idiots.
Hey, power to you. Send a handwritten note to NYSED Comissioner Elia asking to remove it from the curriculum. Or you could kvetch about taxes like a nag, while expecting more from students and teachers with the same amount of time.

Alternatively, you could dig deep into the history of cursive writing and writing implements used as a precursor to the Dixon Ticonderoga. While ornate and craftworthy, you can enlighten idiots everywhere as to the functionality of cursive as to how it applies today.

Meanwhile, I'll go practice my upper case C's, for when city data implements handwritten cursive.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
And this teacher's performance is based on how those kids score. Poverty levels, special education classifications and ESL aren't taken into account.
In our house we steal a line from the tv show 'Who's Line is it Anyway?'

The points mean nothing. It's true.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:33 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Hey, power to you. Send a handwritten note to NYSED Comissioner Elia asking to remove it from the curriculum. Or you could kvetch about taxes like a nag, while expecting more from students and teachers with the same amount of time.

Alternatively, you could dig deep into the history of cursive writing and writing implements used as a precursor to the Dixon Ticonderoga. While ornate and craftworthy, you can enlighten idiots everywhere as to the functionality of cursive as to how it applies today.

Meanwhile, I'll go practice my upper case C's, for when city data implements handwritten cursive.

Which is why I often ask to see an Applicants handwritten HR application or do a phone interview. A Monkey can cut and paste and do spell check.

Schools need to do a better job on how to dress, how to write, how to do presentations and how to do interviews. I get applicants who are book smart and life dumb.

Same idiot kids who would go get you a Ham, Cheese and Mayo sandwich on Italian from a Jewish Deli if you ask.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:40 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Tier's 1-4 will generally enjoy a 40% more money over the lifetime of their careers than Tier's 5-6, given the same life expectancy.

What sucks, is from an employment standpoint and how they are viewed socially; is exactly the same.
True for most public employees but not Nassau County Police and some other unions that have non-contibute clauses in theri contracts even under Tier 5&6 contibute nothing towards their pension.

Quote:
Yet, for decades since the enactment of that section, the state and many of its local governments have continued to negotiate police and fire contracts that specifically identify non-contributory pensions among the benefits available to union members, almost entirely in the case of police and firefighters. The Tier 5 and 6 loopholes presumably arose out of fear that the conflict between Taylor Law and contract provisions might give rise to litigation by unions, despite the clear meaning of Section 201.4.
The Tier 6 pension loophole for cops, firefighters : Empire Center for Public Policy

Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
They taught rote memorization of multiplication facts at my kids elementary school. They aren't supposed to; guess which school has the highest math scores in the county? At the beginning of fourth and fifth grades the kids have to get 100 on a 100 question test that they have 5 minutes to take. They have to get three 100s in a row to stop taking that test. Every fourth and fifth grader knows those facts!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:29 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
True for most public employees but not Nassau County Police and some other unions that have non-contibute clauses in theri contracts even under Tier 5&6 contibute nothing towards their pension.

The Tier 6 pension loophole for cops, firefighters : Empire Center for Public Policy
Never seen those before. Thanks for enlightening me a bit.

I find it absurd. How can you ever expect to have a retirement system/pension if there is no contributions. Everyone in a state system should be required to contribute the same %. Regardless of hire date.

The state can enact a law that makes Non-Contribution clauses null and void. New York's politics are just so slow to react to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island