Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 PM

163 posts, read 204,925 times

Advertisements

Our plan for our family 2 adults, 2 grown children was to leave Northeast PA , its been months and real estate says foreclosures have brought down the area and she wants to keep dropping the price. We need some money to buy something else. My husband has the opportunity to work on Long Island, which is our hometown and we have certainly missed it , living in the middle of nowhere here , lack of decent doctors and stores, and driving forever to get to anything. We had thought we would go to FL and be near a special needs park for one of our children . It seems Melbourne FL and beachside has gone up alot in price. If he made enough money on Long Island , we could just visit FL. The harshest reality I dont know how we are going to sell in Northeast PA. He does have a job here but we could leave it . Any ideas please no negative comments I value your input and trying to think things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
I was selling my parent's place about a year ago. The market on LI was horrible (for what we were selling). Very little action. Our RE agent kept telling us to drop the price. That's what they do. They don't have to take the "loss" from a major price drop - they still get a commission. We had one or two offers that were 60% of the asking price - WELL below market. The RE agent was pushing us to accept these offers. I refused and told them to get me a serious buyer.

It took a year to sell the home. We received a fair price, not far from the asking price. It was a frustrating process. Of course, I didn't have to move so I could afford to hold my ground.

The only one who can answer your question is yourself.

How much will you have to lower the price to sell the home? Are you comfortable with that price? Can you afford to sell at that price, or would it leave you unable to afford the LI (or FL) home you want?

It is real easy to "sell" a home (or just about anything) if you lower the price enough. The question is - is that low price palatable for you?

At this point it is harder to sell a home. Winter coming in, kids are set in school. Springtime is when the market picks up again. You may consider taking your home off the market and re-listing it in February or March of next year. You might also consider talking to another RE agent to list your home.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM

Yes Joe you sent a very good reply. I wonder how much it would cost to rent a small house on LI? We are almost retirement age we loved LI it will always be home, this real estate never calls us , we can switch when contract up I hear there are foreclosures here . there also isnt any industry here its good for a young couple with jobs or a 2nd home buyer. its a vacation area but locals do live here its beautiful and quiet but our family needs more medical experts than they have. your right its easy to kep lowering the price but everywhere we could move has gone up in price

Old 09-24-2015, 08:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinecone lady View Post
Yes Joe you sent a very good reply. I wonder how much it would cost to rent a small house on LI?

How small (2 bedroom?) and where? Prices are all over the place on Long Island. Location, location, location

Old 09-25-2015, 11:06 AM

Small is good 2- 3 bedroom dont care Nassau or suffolk as long as safe we have lived in Great River and seaford

Old 09-25-2015, 12:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Small is good 2- 3 bedroom dont care Nassau or suffolk as long as safe we have lived in Great River and seaford
2k is the least for a nice sized decent place in a good area. Below that gets dicey

Old 09-25-2015, 01:32 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Our plan for our family 2 adults, 2 grown children was to leave Northeast PA , its been months and real estate says foreclosures have brought down the area and she wants to keep dropping the price. We need some money to buy something else. My husband has the opportunity to work on Long Island, which is our hometown and we have certainly missed it , living in the middle of nowhere here , lack of decent doctors and stores, and driving forever to get to anything. We had thought we would go to FL and be near a special needs park for one of our children . It seems Melbourne FL and beachside has gone up alot in price. If he made enough money on Long Island , we could just visit FL. The harshest reality I dont know how we are going to sell in Northeast PA. He does have a job here but we could leave it . Any ideas please no negative comments I value your input and trying to think things out.
Wow, that place must be a real craphole for you to wanna come back to a place like this

Old 09-25-2015, 01:49 PM

Long Island is my home base and the drs were always fantastic,Memory maker what would be your fave place if you could move now? arent the salaries higher on LI/NY there is no beach in PA but it is very serene and has deer all over I miss the people from LI they are friendly

Old 09-25-2015, 01:51 PM

Hi Sandy Jet what about buying a small place about how much is that? also Memory maker what do you dislike about LI ,traffic? or other things too

Old 09-25-2015, 02:28 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
A small place that is affordable will be in a horrible neighborhood.
A decent rental in a decent community will be 2k and up, for a 2/3 bed house.
A studio/basement apartment can be found for 900-1200.
Look for and secure a job in Florida, then move there.
Maybe consider renting your PA home while it is on the market.
Short of making 100k or more LI is probably a bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island