Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:56 PM
gqa gqa started this thread

175 posts, read 152,910 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I'm glad I recently found this website by mistake as I have been doing some research as we are looking to sell our home and buy a new one. I wanted some helpful opinions on a dilemma my wife and I are having regarding this home in The village of Floral Park. The positives:

The house was completely knocked down and rebuilt to a beautiful modern colonial with about 2300 sqft on a 40x100 lot. It has as completely open floor plan and I can tell the work put into it is all high end and high quality. The owner built it up to stay and didn't mince on any features. It is a truly low maintenance home with a 1 car garage. I would not have to do any work/upgrades except for possibly expanding the garage. It is almost the perfect house for us as we don't need a huge house and its only 5 blocks walk to the Lirr for my wife. The neighborhood is quiet, clean, and people are friendly. The village has many rules to keep owners in line with home maintenance which we like. They also have a nice outdoor recreation center with a village pool which is nice.

The negatives:

Since the rebuild the home taxes including Nassau, school, and village taxes are now $22k before star. They have never been grieved. I can afford this and the mortgage easily but high taxes do concern us for the future. We currently live in a nice home in eastern queens but with low $5k taxes. I almost wish I never saw this home because all others fall short in comparison. The location is perfect, the home is almost perfect but the taxes concern us.

We are not in a rush or are pressured to move. We are just looking for an upgrade in our home and neighborhood. What do you think? Are the taxes too much?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:17 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
BIG NUT at $22K especially in Floral Park. My sister has a house with taxes like that in Rockville Center that were never "appealed" and they think they can now get them down to $17K. In my mind even at that level they are high for Floral Park. How long has the house been on the market? An adjustment in the selling price is a one time deal, taxes are forever.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:01 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
$22K taxes for Sewanhaka schools. SMH.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
BIG NUT at $22K especially in Floral Park. My sister has a house with taxes like that in Rockville Center that were never "appealed" and they think they can now get them down to $17K. In my mind even at that level they are high for Floral Park. How long has the house been on the market? An adjustment in the selling price is a one time deal, taxes are forever.

On the market about 8 months. The price has been lowered a couple times. I'm not sure what the taxes can be grieved to but I'm thinking at least $2k with star.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM

No kids so schools are not important.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:09 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Schools are important as you are paying $22K per year it had better be a top school district.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
My DH family are mostly in FP, and all in the village, it is a lovely community. One thing to ask the original poster, You have included all of your taxes in that number which make it sound worse that it is. What are your numbers ex the village taxes. I am not suggesting that you are not paying a lot in taxes, you are for sure. Generally when people quote taxes it is the county and school that are quoted. Your village taxes also include the police which is a big nut as compared to say Williston Park who don't have their own police force.

You are also caught in the rebuild tax which is a new base as compared to the old 1938 base that many homes taxes are still calculated upon.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 AM

nuts2uiam. The village taxes are $7k+ which includes the private police force, sanitation, snow removal etc. The section the house is in is also rather secluded. 3 sides are closed off by the race track and the lirr. Its really a quaint little town. The close proximity to the highways is a plus as I run a small biz which requires me to go all to the way out east and to the Bronx and lower Westchester as well.

We're looking at other places in Northeast Queens and the prices are either ridiculously high like $1.3 million or about $8-900k with about $200k worth of work at least.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:39 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
See that is what I meant. Now comparatively speaking that number with a total rebuild is not all that out of line with many parts of Nassau County. I know the area well we have friends on Hazel.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:26 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqa View Post
Hello Everyone!

I'm glad I recently found this website by mistake as I have been doing some research as we are looking to sell our home and buy a new one. I wanted some helpful opinions on a dilemma my wife and I are having regarding this home in The village of Floral Park. The positives:

The house was completely knocked down and rebuilt to a beautiful modern colonial with about 2300 sqft on a 40x100 lot. It has as completely open floor plan and I can tell the work put into it is all high end and high quality. The owner built it up to stay and didn't mince on any features. It is a truly low maintenance home with a 1 car garage. I would not have to do any work/upgrades except for possibly expanding the garage. It is almost the perfect house for us as we don't need a huge house and its only 5 blocks walk to the Lirr for my wife. The neighborhood is quiet, clean, and people are friendly. The village has many rules to keep owners in line with home maintenance which we like. They also have a nice outdoor recreation center with a village pool which is nice.

The negatives:

Since the rebuild the home taxes including Nassau, school, and village taxes are now $22k before star. They have never been grieved. I can afford this and the mortgage easily but high taxes do concern us for the future. We currently live in a nice home in eastern queens but with low $5k taxes. I almost wish I never saw this home because all others fall short in comparison. The location is perfect, the home is almost perfect but the taxes concern us.

We are not in a rush or are pressured to move. We are just looking for an upgrade in our home and neighborhood. What do you think? Are the taxes too much?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest Bellerose Village - but they won't let you knock down a stately older home to rebuild a "beautiful new colonial".

Taxes on new construction anywhere are high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island