Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,044,103 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. On any discussion board, there's always chatter around the "best" school districts and towns. What makes these places the best? Is a Manhasset homeowner inherently happier than someone in Bay Shore? Do children raised in RVC have better lives than those in Levittown? Is there anything that could cause a beloved town to be yanked off the "best" list?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,511,697 times
If it makes you feel better, alot of rich people and/or their kids are high on coke/heroine/oxycodone.

Case in point, Manhasset doctor, mom of 3, liked to to party. Autopsy Set for 38-Year-Old Doctor Found Dead in Doorway of Manhattan Building | NBC New York

Old 10-05-2015, 11:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,491,439 times
"Good schools" is a liberal code word for "mostly white/East Asian and affluent" - EG, Manhasset has "good schools" because it's white and rich, Levittown has "decent schools" because it's white and working class, Hempstead has "bad schools" because it's mostly black and Hispanic. With very few exceptions, on Long Island, the racial composition of an area is the best predictor of the quality of the school district. I'll leave why that is as a problem for the reader, I'm simply pointing out the statistics.

That being said, I don't believe that the education you get in a district like Jericho is much different from the one you'd get in Sewanhaka unless you're at the upper end of achievement - top districts have more AP courses, gifted and talented classes, etc., but are also far more competitive. A friend who lives in Syosset tells me that many parents employ tutors for their smart kids to help them outperform other smart kids, and are politically active in the PTA to ensure their kids get preferred teachers. The district is predominately Asian and Jewish, two groups know for their scholarship, so that could play a role as well.

Beyond a certain level, the wealth of your area has little to do with happiness. Of course you're not going to be too happy growing up in an impoverished area where you have to worry about your personal safety, but once your basic needs are satisfied, you're not likely to derive lasting pleasure simply by living in a ritzy area. You may, however, derive pleasure from living in an area that is homogeneous:

Quote:
Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam -- famous for "Bowling Alone," his 2000 book on declining civic engagement -- has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings.
Thus, if you're white, you might be happier in overwhelmingly white Massapequa, whereas if you're Asian, you might be happier in Herricks, even though both are nice areas with "good schools".

Old 10-05-2015, 11:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 3,208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
If it makes you feel better, alot of rich people and/or their kids are high on coke/heroine/oxycodone.

Case in point, Manhasset doctor, mom of 3, liked to to party. Autopsy Set for 38-Year-Old Doctor Found Dead in Doorway of Manhattan Building | NBC New York
was just gonna post the same thing. When I was in college I washed cars during the summer. Some of the happiest people I ever knew worked at the car wash. if they were able to play soccer at Flushing Meadows Park they were happy all week. I never forgot that.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:57 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,980,955 times
It is clear from this forum that the people living in the "best" towns with the high pay, long hour, high stress jobs are not the happiest, since they constantly feel the need to put down anybody who doesn't follow their lifestyle. I think Interlude has a lot of good points, and that a major reason is because the people in the "best" towns tend to have very competitive personalities, and they aren't happy unless they can put others down.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:11 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,491,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post

And the poor kids are high on meth and crack, what's your point? Drugs are in every community.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,979,975 times
this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've read in quite sometime

Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,378,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
"Good schools" is a liberal code word for "mostly white/East Asian and affluent" - EG, Manhasset has "good schools" because it's white and rich, Levittown has "decent schools" because it's white and working class, Hempstead has "bad schools" because it's mostly black and Hispanic. With very few exceptions, on Long Island, the racial composition of an area is the best predictor of the quality of the school district. I'll leave why that is as a problem for the reader, I'm simply pointing out the statistics.

That being said, I don't believe that the education you get in a district like Jericho is much different from the one you'd get in Sewanhaka unless you're at the upper end of achievement - top districts have more AP courses, gifted and talented classes, etc., but are also far more competitive. A friend who lives in Syosset tells me that many parents employ tutors for their smart kids to help them outperform other smart kids, and are politically active in the PTA to ensure their kids get preferred teachers. The district is predominately Asian and Jewish, two groups know for their scholarship, so that could play a role as well.

Beyond a certain level, the wealth of your area has little to do with happiness. Of course you're not going to be too happy growing up in an impoverished area where you have to worry about your personal safety, but once your basic needs are satisfied, you're not likely to derive lasting pleasure simply by living in a ritzy area. You may, however, derive pleasure from living in an area that is homogeneous:

Thus, if you're white, you might be happier in overwhelmingly white Massapequa, whereas if you're Asian, you might be happier in Herricks, even though both are nice areas with "good schools".
Um no, that is NOT liberal codeword

Those are your personal opinions

Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,378,540 times
To answer your question OP, I really don't think people in the "best" towns are happier on average.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 PM

19,579 posts, read 20,401,433 times
When I was in the pool business working from one end of the island to another and everything in between, I found that in my experience the most miserable bitter tool bags were the rich ones in the "nice" neighborhoods. They weren't all necessarily nasty, but boy they were miserable. Just goes to show the old saying "money doesn't buy happiness" couldn't be more true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island