Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
H-mart is a quality supermarket. What's the issue?
he probably likes to complain for the sake of complaining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 09:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
H-mart is a quality supermarket. What's the issue?
The issue is that H-Mart is not a REGULAR supermarket. It's an Asian supermarket. There is already H&Y not far away as well as Apna Bazaar. Also from what I have read H-Mart only hires Asians so the employees who worked at Waldbaums (unless they can speak Korean) are out of a job.
The store will be closed for a long time as well, because it will have to be completely remodeled. I cannot believe there weren't any other bidders. The Jericho Waldbaums was one of the nicest as well as busiest stores. By this Judge not allowing a similar supermarket to take the place of Waldbaums, he does not have the interests of the community and its employees at hand. If you read the article it says he likes shopping at H-Mart which is a complete conflict of interest.
If I were the Union I would get his decision over-turned. King Kullen or Foodtown should be there instead.
I hope they appeal.
I don't wish the lack of a regular full service supermarket on anyone, I know because we deal with that same problem here in Westbury, and now Jericho will have the same problem.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:33 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The issue is that H-Mart is not a REGULAR supermarket. It's an Asian supermarket. There is already H&Y not far away as well as Apna Bazaar. Also from what I have read H-Mart only hires Asians so the employees who worked at Waldbaums (unless they can speak Korean) are out of a job.
The store will be closed for a long time as well, because it will have to be completely remodeled. I cannot believe there weren't any other bidders. The Jericho Waldbaums was one of the nicest as well as busiest stores. By this Judge not allowing a similar supermarket to take the place of Waldbaums, he does not have the interests of the community and its employees at hand. If you read the article it says he likes shopping at H-Mart which is a complete conflict of interest.
If I were the Union I would get his decision over-turned. King Kullen or Foodtown should be there instead.
I hope they appeal.
I don't wish the lack of a regular full service supermarket on anyone, I know because we deal with that same problem here in Westbury, and now Jericho will have the same problem.
Stop being silly John. That's a great full service supermarket. The community is becoming more and more Asian and they will love the place. I've been to the one in fresh meadows area and it's great.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:58 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
H-Mart is mostly in Asian areas. It seems to be a "Korean" market. It is nothing like a full service american grocery store. Like Pathmark & Waldbaums were. And that Stop & Shop & Shoprite are. They don't carry all american items like they so. They target the "asian" populated areas mostly I would guess. I have been to one of the many in Flushing as my friend that lives right near the one on Union St. there. As well as the one on Northern. She does not care for it. They cater to the asian community. Most people really need to be near at least 1 full service supermarket like Stop & Shop or ShopRite. Too bad LI might never see a Wegmans or a Publix.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 AM

236 posts, read 473,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I'm not surprised no regular supermarket wanted to take over that Waldbaums. That store was a ghost town compared to the Whole Foods right up the block. It was also a nightmare to get to in comparison when 106/107 was slow and the parkway ramps were backed up. At least Whole Foods has simple rear access from Jericho Tpk.

If anyone braved congestion to get to that Waldbaums, they can drive an extra five minutes to get to the King Kullen in Syosset or the Stop and Shop in Hicksville.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:18 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Stop being silly John. That's a great full service supermarket. The community is becoming more and more Asian and they will love the place. I've been to the one in fresh meadows area and it's great.
No you stop being silly. H-Mart is nothing like a full service American supermarket. It's an Asian specialty market, great if you want Asian stuff, useless if you want typical every day stuff you would have found at waldbaums.

I used to shop at that store all the time when I lived in brookville, now they only option for those living in that area is whole foods unless you want noodles, frogs, fish heads, and Korean BBQ.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
I'm not surprised no regular supermarket wanted to take over that Waldbaums. That store was a ghost town compared to the Whole Foods right up the block. It was also a nightmare to get to in comparison when 106/107 was slow and the parkway ramps were backed up. At least Whole Foods has simple rear access from Jericho Tpk.

If anyone braved congestion to get to that Waldbaums, they can drive an extra five minutes to get to the King Kullen in Syosset or the Stop and Shop in Hicksville.
There is some truth to this, it never seemed crowded there ever. Whole foods always seems packed because that parking lot is so friggen small.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
No you stop being silly. H-Mart is nothing like a full service American supermarket. It's an Asian specialty market, great if you want Asian stuff, useless if you want typical every day stuff you would have found at waldbaums.

I used to shop at that store all the time when I lived in brookville, now they only option for those living in that area is whole foods unless you want noodles, frogs, fish heads, and Korean BBQ.
Ok then, tell me which of the basic food groups are not available at hmart. Just because you can't find manwich on the shelf does not mean it's not a good supermarket.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Ok then, tell me which of the basic food groups are not available at hmart. Just because you can't find manwich on the shelf does not mean it's not a good supermarket.
Stop with the food group nonsense. You know exactly what myself and other posters have explained, h-mart is a specialty store that caters to one type of food demographic period. Enjoy your fish heads.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Stop with the food group nonsense. You know exactly what myself and other posters have explained, h-mart is a specialty store that caters to one type of food demographic period. Enjoy your fish heads.
So you can get 3 square meals at hmart?? You're gonna have to go to the deli to get your bologna though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island