Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:37 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Car insurance seems way high. We have full coverage for two at 1800/yr.

Gas for cars slightly high.

Gas to heat (and cook) is $150 for 4 of us so that's right. Oil will be more.

Cell bill: $300? ouch... we pay $90 but with only 1 phone on data plan. It's crazy we (anyone) pay so much for a luxury.

Electric is definitely too low. We're considered savers and still go up to $125 on an avg month.

Groceries $600 for us and 2 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times
Health insurance premiums?

Old 10-18-2015, 06:44 PM

200 posts, read 210,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Health insurance premiums?
Our health insurance is through full time work. For both it would be $700 plus. I'm on my own for $100 and she's on her own for $120. We included it in our post-tax, post-insurance/benefits coverage taken out.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Car insurance seems way high. We have full coverage for two at 1800/yr.

Gas for cars slightly high.

Gas to heat (and cook) is $150 for 4 of us so that's right. Oil will be more.

Cell bill: $300? ouch... we pay $90 but with only 1 phone on data plan. It's crazy we (anyone) pay so much for a luxury.

Electric is definitely too low. We're considered savers and still go up to $125 on an avg month.

Groceries $600 for us and 2 kids.
Ovi, $300 isn't what we pay. I'm putting inflated numbers here on some. We've not paid for phone bills other than what we were on with our parents. We recently got married and are soon to pay the phone bills. I would love to be under $150 a month. One thing we talked about is a data plan where we get an alert when our data is up and we then pay the phone company to get more data.

Gas for cars, she works 30 min away. I work 15 minutes away from my job. I'm also considering my second job, weekend drives to eastern LI, etc.

Groceries I think we can do $300. We don't do much packaged stuff. We love to prepare and cook and have left overs the next day.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:49 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
$100,000 so far in savings for the both of us, combined. Looking under $360k, low tax areas under 7k. Not planning to go higher.
Oh, do tell where this magical place is where taxes never go up. Please.

So you're saving the $100K? And mortgaging the entire house? How much are you paying for the house?

Just got married and about to get off your parents cell plans....this is like a parenting manual for how NOT to raise your kids - thank your parents for me.

BTW you didn't really save any of that $100K did you? Going to make it much tougher on you when the chips are down if you're not used to roughing it. And eventually, for everyone at some point, the chips are down.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

So you're saving the $100K? And mortgaging the entire house? How much are you paying for the house?

Just got married and about to get off your parents cell plans....this is like a parenting manual for how NOT to raise your kids - thank your parents for me.

BTW you didn't really save any of that $100K did you? Going to make it much tougher on you when the chips are down if you're not used to roughing it. And eventually, for everyone at some point, the chips are down.
Saved it completely on our own.

And our parents suggested we be on their plans. We are both free under their plans, so for those who may not make terribly much and want to save money for their future, I think our parents are extremely considerate and kind to even allow us to do that. What's wrong with that? Nothing.

We are looking at only mortgages that end up being under $1500 a month due to where we are at job wise. No rush to buy a house, thus why we save $3,000 a month every month until we get a home then we know we won't be saving much if at all.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Not planning to go higher meaning home price.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times
Bust out the map.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Here we go again!

$400 a month should be your yearly avg for gas/electric if you have oil add $70

take your existing phones and go to Metro or Cricket $70 a month will cover 2 plans w/ 2.5 gb data before you slow down.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
Saved it completely on our own.

And our parents suggested we be on their plans. We are both free under their plans, so for those who may not make terribly much and want to save money for their future, I think our parents are extremely considerate and kind to even allow us to do that. What's wrong with that? Nothing.

We are looking at only mortgages that end up being under $1500 a month due to where we are at job wise. No rush to buy a house, thus why we save $3,000 a month every month until we get a home then we know we won't be saving much if at all.
Just as there is no free lunch there is no free phone. It seems to me that the source of the OP's lack of financial knowledge may be that the parents are also lacking. Anybody who believes that any company gives away free phone service needs to seriously reconsider all their financial decision making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island