Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times

Advertisements

I just took a random tour through New Cassel via Google Maps and it's worse than I thought. This kind of favela-like squalor is within easy walking distance of Post Avenue's shopping district.

https://goo.gl/maps/XSrYFPr2Kd52
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 10:58 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I just took a random tour through New Cassel via Google Maps and it's worse than I thought. This kind of favela-like squalor is within easy walking distance of Post Avenue's shopping district.

Yes,it is quite bad there! I was at Cantiague park the other day & had to do business near John & Duffy Ave. Was curious so drove up Prospect & saw the Welcome to New Cassel sign..it was downhill just past that sign. Saw someone laying down on a mattress on a lawn! Quickly turned around. Before that I had not been in that area since around 2008. New Cassel is disgusting!

Old 10-25-2015, 11:08 PM

Look at this concentration of foreclosures & for sales in New Cassel. My aunt a realtor on LI for 50 years told me about this while back. New Cassel NY Real Estate - 61 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Old 10-25-2015, 11:51 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:

Yup its just a short walk away and it unfortunately has spread into the Village boundaries. It used to be a more defined division like that between Garden City & Hempstead but unfortunately anywhere east of Post and you may as well be in New Cassel. Even the Village admitted this is the area where the illegal housing is most severe.
The worsening conditions in New Cassel are another force bringing Westbury down.
Funny how a few years back the Town of North Hempstead claimed they were going to get tough on the illegal housing and problems in New Cassel, but its all talk. The folks that run the town are based in Manhasset (where Town Hall is for North Hempstead, of which New Cassel is an unincorporated hamlet of).
They view NC as the dumping ground of the town, and won't actually clean it up since alot of the rich folks up north use these guys who live there to mow their lawns.
I was almost going to re-elect Judi Bosworth as Town Supervisor, but after all the talk & no action I think she has lost my support along with every incumbent in the town. So tired of these people we elect REFUSING to do the job they were elected to do! I guess swearing to uphold the law with your hand on the Bible means nothing anymore!

Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Yes,it is quite bad there! I was at Cantiague park the other day & had to do business near John & Duffy Ave. Was curious so drove up Prospect & saw the Welcome to New Cassel sign..it was downhill just past that sign. Saw someone laying down on a mattress on a lawn! Quickly turned around. Before that I had not been in that area since around 2008. New Cassel is disgusting!
And its spreading into Hicksville too. The whole Maple Ave/Union/Prospect/W.John corridor between Post Ave & the Hicksville Post Office is just one depressing strip.
The new bldgs they put up along Prospect are joke, half are empty and boarded up with graffiti.
Seems everything in 11590 is just a failure, its a doggone shame!
Should've driven the whole thing to Post to get an idea of what I deal with.
New Cassel was never great, but it is worse than ever now. Some guy was shot in broad daylight right on Prospect a few weeks ago, I think I put the link in the OP of this thread.
Don't blame you for not wanting to ride thru there! Every bit as bad as Hempstead. And that is Post Ave's future if ppl dont wake up soon and fight together to clean this place up!

Old 10-26-2015, 02:09 AM

Honestly I have been to Hempstead & feel safer there! At least there more people are around especially during the day. When I drove 1 block up Prospect into New Cassel I honestly was grossed out! Never felt that way in Hempstead. But then again areas I have been to in Hempstead were busy areas. This area of New Cassel looked disgusting & dead! And only went few blocks & turned around. Used to go to Spare Rib all the time for dinner when it was on OCR just off Wantagh Pkwy. before they closed & area surrounding it was fine. Not anymore!!! At least I can still go to Spare Rib in Commack...but it's long drive for me. Honestly you do need to find a way to move in your position. I can't even imagine a person living where you are long term ( as it does not look like area will get better enough ever again) even if person was 100% healthy without the problems you have. I will ask again to see if LL knows of any leads & let you know. LL has been through so much recently having to evict yet another tenant at present time. He already has new tenant he told me waiting for the person that lives there now to finally get out. This guy wants apt bad. No surprise as it's cheapest apt. in best area to live around here with good QOL that most apts on LI can't offer. Just focus on ways to get the $ to move the heck out. Do things that you would not normally do...but just do it! You will be much happier once you do. I know you can do more than you think you can. You might surprise yourself.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:22 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
They view NC as the dumping ground of the town, and won't actually clean it up since alot of the rich folks up north use these guys who live there to mow their lawns.
I was almost going to re-elect Judi Bosworth as Town Supervisor, but after all the talk & no action I think she has lost my support along with every incumbent in the town. So tired of these people we elect REFUSING to do the job they were elected to do! I guess swearing to uphold the law with your hand on the Bible means nothing anymore!
It's more insidious than lawn mowing. Wealthy elites believe that mass immigration of third worlders is actually beneficial to America because diversity something something. Of course they themselves don't live anywhere near these immigrants - that's left as a problem for the working class.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:46 AM

258 posts, read 456,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Honestly I have been to Hempstead & feel safer there! At least there more people are around especially during the day. When I drove 1 block up Prospect into New Cassel I honestly was grossed out! Never felt that way in Hempstead. But then again areas I have been to in Hempstead were busy areas. This area of New Cassel looked disgusting & dead! And only went few blocks & turned around. Used to go to Spare Rib all the time for dinner when it was on OCR just off Wantagh Pkwy. before they closed & area surrounding it was fine. Not anymore!!! At least I can still go to Spare Rib in Commack...but it's long drive for me. Honestly you do need to find a way to move in your position. I can't even imagine a person living where you are long term ( as it does not look like area will get better enough ever again) even if person was 100% healthy without the problems you have. I will ask again to see if LL knows of any leads & let you know. LL has been through so much recently having to evict yet another tenant at present time. He already has new tenant he told me waiting for the person that lives there now to finally get out. This guy wants apt bad. No surprise as it's cheapest apt. in best area to live around here with good QOL that most apts on LI can't offer. Just focus on ways to get the $ to move the heck out. Do things that you would not normally do...but just do it! You will be much happier once you do. I know you can do more than you think you can. You might surprise yourself.
I agree with this. I would stop focusing on trying to clean up Westbury and focus more on trying to move. You can't fix Westbury. I don't see Henpstead getting any better, and that used to be a nice place too back in the day. Once it's done, it's done. Long Island in general seems to be moving in that direction with the exception of upper middle and upper class towns.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:

New cassel is a complete disaster. One of the worst neighborhoods on LI IMO. Although Im sure some posters (who of course don't live there) will come on here to tell us how it is full of rainbows, sunshine, and gumdrop smiles.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
I agree with this. I would stop focusing on trying to clean up Westbury and focus more on trying to move. You can't fix Westbury. I don't see Henpstead getting any better, and that used to be a nice place too back in the day. Once it's done, it's done. Long Island in general seems to be moving in that direction with the exception of upper middle and upper class towns.
Agree! When it's done..it is done. Very hard to near impossible to make any area better once it gets that bad. Even if it did most people that we would want to live around & know the area would not choose to live there.Even if they "revitalize" it so to speak. Once an area gets a bad rap..it never goes away in peoples minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island