Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
New cassel is a complete disaster. One of the worst neighborhoods on LI IMO. Although Im sure some posters (who of course don't live there) will come on here to tell us how it is full of rainbows, sunshine, and gumdrop smiles.
Very true. You know CD LOL! Too bad for the OP John that he has to live in the area of Westbury that is right on the border of this. People that don't live where he does ( & with his limitations) have no idea what he really has to deal with on a daily basis. He has already stated many times about his obstacles. He can not drive like many on LI do. He has to walk or take public transit where ever he goes. Doing that in area of Westbury that he lives does not seem safe at all anymore. While he has access to public transit in his location it is still a bad are to have to be walking around to wait for bus & or walk to store or LIRR. Especially after dark. Hope he can get out before something does happen & not after!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Very true. You know CD LOL! Too bad for the OP John that he has to live in the area of Westbury that is right on the border of this. People that don't live where he does ( & with his limitations) have no idea what he really has to deal with on a daily basis. He has already stated many times about his obstacles. He can not drive like many on LI do. He has to walk or take public transit where ever he goes. Doing that in area of Westbury that he lives does not seem safe at all anymore. While he has access to public transit in his location it is still a bad are to have to be walking around to wait for bus & or walk to store or LIRR. Especially after dark. Hope he can get out before something does happen & not after!
And let me add the access to public transit, especially train-wise, is pretty poor.
Most trains don't even stop at Westbury & just sail on past. Its an hour wait between trains most of the time. And when there's a delay they rarely add stops to other trains at Westbury.
Like this morning, LIRR was FUBAR'd due to Fire Dept. activity at Jamaica, they send 3 trains past our station before one stops, I wait on the platform for almost an hour!
Many others waiting got rides from friends or took a cab to Hicksville or Mineola.
Nobody wants to live here with crappy LIRR service we get.
Bus wise I am fortunate to have a bus that drops me off close enough so can avoid walking down Post, and for now it runs at night, so with the way things have been lately I take it to avoid the walk.
But as we all know NICE has funding problems and cuts always seem to be around the corner. If the bus goes away then I have to take a cab & I can't afford that.
I really do need to move, but as you know, there is alot against me.
It really is a very unfair situation.
In the meantime I do the best I can do, avoid walking down Post at night, and if I have to, I carry Pepper Spray and a 120db personal alarm, just in case.
Unfortunately Westbury will become like what you see in New Cassel. It probably won't make it west of Ellison but Post Ave is struggling. The bad element from next door has bled in, and the Village refuses to take it seriously enough. I have contacted the Mayor numerous times, he always writes me back, but I just don't feel a sense of urgency from him. He also knows about what I write on here, and may even be reading this thread. Their attitude at Village Hall is to ignore the Messenger. I remember the rash of gang graffiti this spring, and having the news report on it, when I told them at Village Hall their reaction was "oh no" when they knew there would be news coverage. They want this all swept under the rug. They think by keeping quiet it won't scare people, but guess what, people ARE scared already!
I know I gotta move and appreciate any help someone could give me. I'm not just worried about someone hurting me, but about the toll its taking on my Mental Health, I've come close to breaking down already.
But I will keep up the fight for what is RIGHT!

Old 10-26-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
I agree with this. I would stop focusing on trying to clean up Westbury and focus more on trying to move. You can't fix Westbury. I don't see Henpstead getting any better, and that used to be a nice place too back in the day. Once it's done, it's done. Long Island in general seems to be moving in that direction with the exception of upper middle and upper class towns.
And that is the problem, you have to be well off and not have any "problems" to afford living in what good towns are left since they are all going to the rich.
Eventually, when things get bad enough, my only option may be to leave LI, it is really a last resort though. I've thought of moving to Ocean County (NJ), like Toms River, where its much cheaper and its more like LI used to be 20 years ago, but that would mean being further away from friends, family, not to mention its harder to live without a car there.
I do start to worry I may wind up there whether I like it or not. Long Island is just becoming a place for the rich, I feel more & more out of place here. They either say live in the ghetto or leave....

Old 10-27-2015, 07:00 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Some are of course but your average LPR or USC allowed to work isn't loitering in front of bodegas all day waiting to be picked up for a day labor job. You would be very surprised how many of those in the westbury area are in fact here illegally. Westbury is a well known magnet for illegals, has been for years, as are other places like farmingville, Brentwood, and CI. This is not exactly a secret.
yup and it's a known sanctuary city giving them more reason to be there.

But still I don't think JIW or others calling them illegals is right. They are not ALL illegal.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:15 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
yup and it's a known sanctuary city giving them more reason to be there.

But still I don't think JIW or others calling them illegals is right. They are not ALL illegal.
True. Some are merely interlopers.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:51 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Um...wrong. You think I paint all Hispanics with the same brush, don't you?
Here's the thing, the people I am talking about hang around, loitering, hang out in the morning waiting to get picked up by landscaping companies, and then when they are done they come back at night, buy booze, wire money back home (most bodegas have multiservices) and then hang out on the streets. And those are the ones that get picked up, the rest just hang out on the streets all day long or pass out drunk at the Village Piazza on Post & Maple. Many live in illegal apts so overcrowded and hot in summer, another reason they hang out at night.
This is why I think most of these people are illegals. Legal immigrants tend to be well behaved and have regular jobs. They don't hang out & drink all night because they have to get up in the morning the next day for work. They have a tremendous work ethic, and want to make money so they can start a life here, assimilate and become US Citizens. On the other hand, illegals come here and have no interest in assimilating or starting a life here, wire most of the money they make back home and live in squalor while here. They do not care about laws and behave just as they did if they were back in El Salvador, I see it all the time in Westbury.
You think just because I see someone speaking Spanish you assume I think they are illegal. Well that is just plain wrong! I've said it time & time again, it is their BEHAVIOR! Hanging around, wearing thug clothes and having that certain swagger walk are not things that are going to earn anyone respect.

I have some well educated friends who speak Spanish and they dont like illegals either!
I really do hate when people lump legal immigrants in with illegals. And let me say illegals aren't immigrants, they are CRIMINALS!
Sure there may be some illegals who do want to become US Citizens, but the majority here bring nothing but bad things to the table in the communities they live in. The same poverty and violence they claim they are fleeing, are brought to the towns they move to. And its not just illegals, been noticing some Ex-Con type people of all races just hanging around Westbury too. The Pines Motel is a huge problem and needs to be shut down, as many of these individuals are housed there.
Sure Westbury may not be Hempstead bad, but it is heading in that direction, as long as the various levels of Govt. keep failing the community time & time again.
How these people behave have little to do with their immigration status, which is a legal issue and not a social issue. Have you at the very least gotten to know enough of them on a personal/commercial basis for you to make such a blanket statement? Is it impossible for American residents and citizens in LI to be living in squalor? Or are you just too uncomfortable accepting any idea that many of your fellow American citizens actually behave in the manner that you are despising right now?

Quote:
lol yeah ok. It's not a tiny drop in the bucket in westbury. But you keep thinking whatever you want.
Do some simple arithmetic then. Westbury Village has a population of around 15,000. Can you prove that >7,500 of its residents "loiter and hang out in the morning waiting for landscaping jobs" or whatever Johnnyboy here would put it, assuming of course those people waiting for landscaping jobs are 100% undocumented?

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 11-01-2015 at 06:03 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How these people behave have little to do with their immigration status, which is a legal issue and not a social issue. Have you at the very least gotten to know enough of them on a personal/commercial basis for you to make such a blanket statement? Is it impossible for American residents and citizens in LI to be living in squalor? Or are you just too uncomfortable accepting any idea that many of your fellow American citizens actually behave in the manner that you are despising right now?

Do some simple arithmetic then. Westbury Village has a population of around 15,000. Can you prove that >7,500 of its residents "loiter and hang out in the morning waiting for landscaping jobs" or whatever Johnnyboy here would put it, assuming of course those people waiting for landscaping jobs are 100% undocumented?
OK then, how come towns without a large population of illegals don't have these problems? I certainly don't see grown men hanging around the streets of RVC, Lindenhurst, Valley Stream or Smithtown. Again in the morning most who loiter to get picked up ARE illegal, because they cant get regular jobs and being picked up by landscapers is an all cash, no status checked affair. As far as the drinking, sure plenty of Americans love to get drunk, but generally do so in bars and not on the streets. Sure there are citizens that behave poorly as well, but interestingly enough, they are usually dealt with by authorities. But illegals can do these very same things & get away with it because the police are afraid of being called racist for enforcing the law.
Now cmmon, I know half of Westbury's population doesn't loiter on the streets every morning!
In the Village I would say that maybe 1/10 of the population may be illegals. Of course they are more visible because they are out on the streets everyday. Most citizens don't visit downtown and just drive to other places.
Immigration status or not, the Village needs to enforce its laws. You just can't have people hanging out on the streets all day and night. Even if you can't stop loitering, you can go after the reason they are here. Most live in illegal overcrowded apts, the Village said they were going to shut them down, but they are not getting shut down, either due to lax enforcement or insufficient help from the Nassau Sheriffs. Either way you fix that and most of these people won't be living in Westbury anymore. Then go after the Bodegas which sell the beer and give these people reason to hang around. Pass a law banning sale of alcoholic beverages from convienence stores. Between these actions the Bodegas will close and hopefully be replaced with more civilized retailers.
Lastly improve the streetlighting, its dim, I'm not the only one who has complained. These actions have NOTHING to do with illegal immigration law!
There is no reason Westbury should be getting worse, it has the potential to be GREAT!
I hate seeing another LI town wind up in the gutter due to politicians who refuse to enforce laws!

Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 PM

Well, unfortunately there was a rash of vandalism in the restrooms at the LIRR station in Westbury discovered this morning.
And no these aren't kids who did this, but gangs marking their territory. One gang often crosses out their enemy gang's tag to mark "territory".
LIRR cleaning personnel were at the station and I was told MTA PD was investigating and that I should call them anytime I see this in the future, which I will do.
Just another example of what the influx of illegals has done to Westbury. Don't let your town be next!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:35 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I just took a random tour through New Cassel via Google Maps and it's worse than I thought. This kind of favela-like squalor is within easy walking distance of Post Avenue's shopping district.

https://goo.gl/maps/XSrYFPr2Kd52
Something going down on the corner of Sheridan and Prospect.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 16,050 times
Thumbs up My Opinion of Westbury.

Just want to give my positive view of Westbury! I've been a Westbury resident for over 40 years. My children, grandchildren and dozens of relatives make Westbury/Carle Place their home. All have done well and almost all stay here. The crime here is no worse than other parts of Nassau County. The community closeness and unity is unmistakable. You do have to be educated in which parts of the area to purchase a home, since the area is covered by at least five districts. Westbury, Carle Place, Jericho, Hicksville and East Meadow. Unfortunately the Westbury District is rated the lowest. Post Ave is so much better now than it has been in 20 years and just keeps moving forward. The Village is being truly revived with Condos that I find hard to afford. New Cassel is the only sore point in the area that needs some major uplifting. The Westbury is a truly great place and location to live! So glad we came here in 1973!!! In the right areas homes sell in a few weeks for close to asking prices also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island