Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine if cars in every lane did a constant 55 mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoETMCosULQ

The variation in speed is what prevents congestion, frustration, angst, murderous drivers. Cops let speeding go for good reason as long as it's... reasonable. The above is hardly that. We're not robots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 02:37 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
People try to run me off the road if I'm not going at least 65 in the right lane. LIE is a death trap. I try to use HOV as much as possible, just for the extra space between lanes.
LOL... People seem to regularly do 70 in the right lane lately. Try merging onto a Parkway on one of those seemingly 25 foot long merge lanes (S.S. Parkway West From Deer Park Ave. comes to mind). I now see high performance Audi's/Dodge Challengers/etc. now having to brake to a full stop "pinned down" by oncoming right lane traffic at the "new" speeds. And if your'e in front of one of these cars and you both have had to brake to stop before getting a chance to merge? The more powerful car behind you hits the gas and pulls out at the first opening like your'e not even there.

I don't participate in the practice, but I sometimes see the slower head car pull out and "brake check" the aggressive driver jumping his/her turn, causing them to slam on the brakes. And I'm not talking chronic slowpokes or overly timid drivers, but people with reasonable driving abilities and a decent car, just not as powerful as some high performance models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Slow people and old people need to stay in the right lane
If a Parkway is two lanes (Sag.) and your'e a "Half Fast" Driver (faster than the slow lane, slower than the fast lane). You have a choice, constantly and continually brake for mergers (or people that actually merge then come to a complete stop) or constantly and continually speed up to get ahead of them or you run the risk of getting broadsided. Or stay in fast lane and have aggressive drivers on your a** and/or blowing by you furiously in the right lane.

Or you can "lane hop" back and forth like an arcade game, moving into the fast lane for merging situations, out of the fast lane for aggressive drivers. This the most dangerous practice, IMO.

With three lanes (135) you can hang out in the middle lane, but lazy commercial and tractor trailer drivers will hug your a** and try to "vibe" you into changing lanes so they don't have to enter the left lane or pass on the right.

James Bond's Aston Martin from "Goldfinger" really is the car to go with these days.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:23 PM

235 posts, read 247,908 times
After eight months, I comment again about NY 135, where I did a round trip today. Southbound about 3 pm from Old Country Road to the Southern State, I tried holding to 60, but all three lanes were pushing 72. It struck me about road design that 72 mph in the right lane is really daredevil because of short acceleration ramps. For example, a vehicle coming west on NY 24 (Hempstead Tpk) turns uphill onto NY 135, with a weaving merge. However, the zone for acceleration ends at the eastbound exit ramp! Imagine that with a dump truck careening along the "slow" lane!
---
Meanwhile, on a straightway I noticed in the left lane two cars at about 75 mph, the second car less than two car lengths behind the first. Alert drivers do avoid collisions, but this behavior is full of risk.
---
Traffic entering NY 135 southbound from NY 107 (Hicksville Road) meets an evil short acceleration lane before the too-narrow bridge over Arlington Drive.
---
And above the Southern State, NY 135 gives weaving traffic little room to accelerate.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:24 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
You really studied this. Good work. It's all going to Cha he when speed cams take over and we all get tickets for doing 60 MPH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island