Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:02 PM

78 posts, read 104,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I moved to LI without plans of having kids and starting a family. I"m quite happy having bought a small house on a "large" property (tiny in LI terms). That small house is still bigger then my 2 bedroom apt I was renting in the boroughs. With taxes and a modest mortgage, still cheaper then what I paid in rent.

OPs reasoning for wanting out of the boroughs and into the suburbs may not agree with you, but in no way is it wrong. And your reasons for staying out of LI, isn't better.
Some people can't accept that other people have other desires/priorities.
We're actually looking for a small house. No more than 3 bedrooms. But we like little houses, small rooms. And I'm excited to have a garden/garage again. It's been a while. And as you said, after mortgage payment/taxes/insurance etc we'll be spending a totally reasonable amount each month. We don't want to go for the biggest mortgage we can afford.

Last edited by shesbenevolent; 10-22-2015 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:07 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesbenevolent View Post
Some people can't accept that other people have other desires/priorities.
We're actually looking for a small house. No more than 3 bedrooms. But we like little houses, small rooms. And I'm excited to have a garden/garage again. It's been a while. And as you said, after mortgage payment/taxes/insurance etc we'll be spending a totally reasonable amount each month. We don't want to go for the biggest mortgage we can afford.
The reality due to the COL on LI is that unless you have a combined income in the mid 6-figures it's better to just get a small house with reasonable taxes and avoid the stress that comes with two income families that are stretched to the limit to make their house payments every month.

Every area has their benefits and downsides, and for LI it's cost of living. The same goes for Silicon Valley, San Francisco and a couple of other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island