Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 AM

622 posts, read 852,988 times

Advertisements

pics or it didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:45 AM

157 posts, read 213,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We just worked on trapping, spaying/neutering a colony of ferals and friendlies. Their ears were tipped so that others would know the cats have already been spayed/neutered. It is a huge issue as many college students keep the cats during the school year and then dump them when they leave for the summer.

I'm by no means a cat lady, but do believe to a humane solution to a problem. We were able to find homes for the friendlies and their kittens, and returned the the ferals back to their area. The population has decreased significantly.
But you're not the demographic I'm referring to. You're fixing the problem. Not adding to it.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:30 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Dog.
That's the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Cats are smart, they know where they'll get food and where they won't. They'll frequent your property less and less as time goes on. Whatever you do, PLEASE don't be one of those rotten people that hurts innocent cats.

I have several animals and agree with your statement against harming the cats. Just want to point out that in this case it's the neighbor who is the one actually hurting the cats.

Instead of feeding these feral cats, he should be bringing them to a shelter to get neutered. Feeding them only creates MORE cats as they will continue to breed. More feral cats means more food needed to support them. It eventually reaches the point where there isn't enough food (especially if he moves or stops putting out food) and the cats starve to death.

Feeding feral animals only creates an artificial overpopulation.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:48 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupertino Garay View Post
Everywhere i turn, there is a cat. If i go out the back the first thing i see is a cat running away. If i pull up into the driveway a cat is greeting me in the front stoop. Tonight, i was having dinner with the backdoor open and a cat peaked in almost wanting to come into the house- i guess they smelled the delicious steak i was having!
They **** on my lawn, crawl on top of my daughter's toys and patio furniture. This has grown out of control and i need to do something about it.
My neighbor (who rents illegally) feeds them. My other neighbor built a cat house in the front lawn.
I understand stray cats have to eat, but let them go and find a food source elsewhere.
My neighbors already rallied up in an effort to do something about and trapped the kittens and gave them up for adoption. The older cats i think were also trapped and fixed, but they are back.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to HOW TO KEEP THESE PESTS OUT OF MY PROPERTY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Dog.
LOL. This one word answer to a long OP had me rolling on the floor!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:49 PM

148 posts, read 248,054 times
This is from my personal experience of having a cat that tried to make our front porch its home. We never fed the cat as to not entice it to stay, but he was dirty, un-owned, large and probably not rabid but frequently came out the storm drain.
----

What you need to do is be careful and do not come in contact with these cats. They can be carrying feral disease being in the storm drains like rabies, and have open sores or cuts.

Spray the areas of your garden or property the cats like to rub their scent on with Ammonia when the cat isn't around.

They will stop lounging there as that is a strong smell their more sensitive noses do not like, and reminiscent of another cat marking territory. This works very often.
If you have fences with gaps underneath them, put garden grating underneath it to discourage the cat from slipping through.

Do not spray ammonia directly to the cat itself, and DO NOT TRY TO TRAP THE CAT. If the cat is not being aggressive to you, don't taunt the cat.

If the cat is injured/ill or got in a cat fight and is lying in distress on your property. Do not touch it, call animal control. And PLEASE, DO NOT SHOOT ANY CAT WITH A BB GUN.

Last edited by Pholtor; 10-26-2015 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 07:43 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
This thread reminds me of an old story...

[dailymotion]xctztn_dime-to-retire_fun[/dailymotion]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island