U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If money was no object, what type of town would you live in?
Manhasset, Brookville (Jericho SD), Muttontown, Lloyd Harbor 16 44.44%
Fort Salonga/Asharoken, Nissequogue, Belle Terre, Old Field 16 44.44%
Sayville, Islip, Babylon 3 8.33%
Bay Shore, Bellport, Center Moriches 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 33,152,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post

My take: I'm most comfortable with tier 2, but tier 3 is also attractive...........

I'd never want to be the richest or poorest in my town. If you held a gun to my head and said I had to buy a $5 million mega-mansion, I would have to go with Tier 1. You are way too out of place anywhere else.
You placed the Village of Old Field in tier 2. The wealthiest man on LI (according to Forbes) lives in the Incorporated Village of Old Field, which shares a zip (11733) with East Setauket, Strongs Neck, and the Poquott.

Four billionaires on Long Island:
Quote:
Long Island's wealthiest was Simons, 76, the former head of Stony Brook University's mathematics department who founded the Renaissance Technologies hedge fund. The East Setauket resident ranked No. 76 on the global list at $14 billion, a $1.5 billion increase from last year.

Charles Dolan, 88, moved up 27 spots to No. 381. He and his family had a fortune valued at $4.3 billion. The Cove Neck resident founded Cablevision Systems Corp. of Bethpage, which owns Newsday.

Kenneth Langone, 79, a Sands Point resident and early investor in Home Depot, moved up 50 slots to No. 714 with an estimated net worth of $2.6 billion.

Louis Bacon, 56, a hedge fund investor from Oyster Bay, ranked No. 1,118 with a net worth of $1.7 billion.
I would drop Fort Salonga/Asharoken to tier 3. In terms of real estate alone, the two combined have only 8 homes over $1 million, and even then, it's not by much. I would say it is more in line with Stony Brook than the other communities. Old Field, on the other hand, has many more properties over $1 million, as does Poquott and Strongs Neck (both 11733) Head of the Harbor should be placed into tier 2
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:55 PM

157 posts, read 196,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You placed the Village of Old Field in tier 2. The wealthiest man on LI (according to Forbes) lives in the Incorporated Village of Old Field, which shares a zip (11733) with East Setauket, Strongs Neck, and the Poquott.

I would drop Fort Salonga/Asharoken to tier 3. In terms of real estate alone, the two combined have only 8 homes over $1 million, and even then, it's not by much. I would say it is more in line with Stony Brook than the other communities. Old Field, on the other hand, has many more properties over $1 million, as does Poquott and Strongs Neck (both 11733) Head of the Harbor should be placed into tier 2
It just seems that the Gold Coast ranks higher, despite Old Field sales. People generally don't view North Shore, Suffolk in 3v area as high as the North Shore in Nassau.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:57 PM

156 posts, read 200,923 times
Quote:

I would drop Fort Salonga/Asharoken to tier 3. In terms of real estate alone, the two combined have only 8 homes over $1 million, and even then, it's not by much. I would say it is more in line with Stony Brook than the other communities. Old Field, on the other hand, has many more properties over $1 million, as does Poquott and Strongs Neck (both 11733)
I guess we know what he chooses

Where are you looking? 11768 has almost 50 homes above $1 mil. I wouldn't put the Northport/East Northport area on par with Babylon or Sayville. I'm not very familiar with the 3V area, but it seems middle class by majority. 11768 Luxury Homes For Sale - 175 Homes | Zillow

Whatever towns you choose for the tiers wasn't really the point of the discussion. If you want to put the 3V area with Brookville, feel free. I was trying to gauge what income/class level people would be comfortable living amongst.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I guess we know what he chooses

Where are you looking? 11768 has almost 50 homes above $1 mil. I wouldn't put the Northport/East Northport area on par with Babylon or Sayville. I'm not very familiar with the 3V area, but it seems middle class by majority. 11768 Luxury Homes For Sale - 175 Homes | Zillow

Whatever towns you choose for the tiers wasn't really the point of the discussion. If you want to put the 3V area with Brookville, feel free. I was trying to gauge what income/class level people would be comfortable living amongst.
Asharoken and Fort Salonga are not in same tier as Sayville. I also agree that 3v is majority middle class. They were categorized well, IMO.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:23 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,373,603 times
Upper class. I would enjoy the seclusion, quiet, and privacy. I was never charmed by the prospect of watching the neighbours get drunk at a block party.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Upper class. I would enjoy the seclusion, quiet, and privacy. I was never charmed by the prospect of watching the neighbours get drunk at a block party.
The upper class gets drunk and high on more acreage. That's about it.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,373,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
The upper class gets drunk and high on more acreage. That's about it.
Yes. And I don't hear it or see it. Get the point?

I am in a denser version of this town now (Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and Bentley are the most popular choices). It's delightful. Backyard parties are unheard of. People go out for fun (where they're the bartenders' problem). It takes longer to get to know the neighbours (most are running businesses or in executive roles), but they're decent people and can sometimes spare a weekend afternoon for a glass of wine.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
It just seems that the Gold Coast ranks higher, despite Old Field sales. People generally don't view North Shore, Suffolk in 3v area as high as the North Shore in Nassau.
I don't discount the Gold Coast Nassau vs north shore Suffolk comparison. I grew up in Nassau and spent a fair amount of time in Mill Neck and Lattingtown, occasionally at one girl's house in Muttontown. That's why I initially cringed when I saw Manhasset on the list as a tier 1 and Old Field as a tier 2. When you do the comparisons as to median household income, it is very clear that Muttontown and Old Field have far more in common than Manhasset -- which is much closer to tier 3 Sayville. The tier 3 is spot on.

Quote:
I guess we know what he chooses I'm a She.

Where are you looking? Current listings on the MLS $1,000,000 and over. 11768 has almost 50 homes above $1 mil. I wouldn't put the Northport/East Northport area on par with Babylon or Sayville. Manhasset, East Northport and Sayville are very similar in terms of median household income. I'm not very familiar with the 3V area, but it seems middle class by majority. I've included the hamlets and villages of the 3V for you to help explain. 11768 Luxury Homes For Sale - 175 Homes | Zillow

The initial post read in part:
Quote:

This poses the question: are wealthy towns "better" than others if home price and commute is not a factor?
If you're discussing wealthy towns, perhaps it would helpful if you were to place them in tiers according to actual data. As it is, the group in tier 1 ranges from $103K to over $200K, while tier 3 has a $101K.

Another issue here is that the 3V is being lumped together despite it being several different hamlets and incorporated villages. If someone wishes to cherry pick a particular area -- let's say Village of Asharoken -- compare it to Village of Old Field, not the entire 3V with all of its hamlets and 2 incorporated villages. Compare apples to apples.

Tier 1: //www.city-data.com/city/Lloyd-...-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Lloyd Harbor: over $200,000

Tier 1: //www.city-data.com/city/Muttontown-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Muttontown: over $200,000

Tier 2:3V //www.city-data.com/city/Old-Field-New-York.html Estimated median household income in 2013:
Old Field: over $200,000

$174,999.99 and less------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 2: //www.city-data.com/city/Belle-Terre-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Belle Terre: $167,063

//www.city-data.com/city/Mill-Neck-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Mill Neck: $161,610

Tier 2: //www.city-data.com/city/Nissequogue-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Nissequogue:$159,700

$149,999.99 and less------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3V //www.city-data.com/city/Poquott-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Poquott: $144,811

//www.city-data.com/city/Lattingtown-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Lattingtown: $141,196

Tier 2: //www.city-data.com/city/Asharoken-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Asharoken: $132,236

3V //www.city-data.com/city/Stony-Brook-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013:Stony Brook: $131,075

3V //www.city-data.com/city/Setauk...-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Setauket-East Setauket: $126,558

$124,999.99 or LESS--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 2://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-Salonga-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Fort Salonga: $121,534

//www.city-data.com/city/Northport-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Northport: $111,615

//www.city-data.com/city/Commack-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Commack: $110,087

Tier 1: //www.city-data.com/city/Manhasset-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Manhasset: $103,164

//www.city-data.com/city/East-N...-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: East Northport: $101,853

Tier 3: //www.city-data.com/city/Sayville-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Sayville: $101,082

$99,999.99 or less---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 3: //www.city-data.com/city/Babylon-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Babylon: $94,227

Tier 3: //www.city-data.com/city/Islip-New-York.html
Estimated median household income in 2013: Islip: $94,254

I was wrong dropping Asharoken to a tier 3, however it does not belong with the tier 2 as you have written it. I believe you need 5 tiers as I have broken down above, but that's probably just me be a picky pain in the tushy.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 10-25-2015 at 01:21 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Asharoken and Fort Salonga are not in same tier as Sayville. I also agree that 3v is majority middle class. They were categorized well, IMO.
The initial post discussed wealthy areas, so I went by actual income as opposed to perceived prestige or stereotypes.

Please check out the rather lengthy list I drew up. I did withdraw my suggestion that Asharoken was in the same tier as Sayville, however Asharoken is no where near Old Field in terms of median income, is about $12.5K below Poquott, is $1.2K higher than Stony Brook and $5.7K higher than Setauket/East Setauket.

Tier 1 Manhasset was very close to tier 3 Sayville.

Fort Salonga is $5K lower than the lowest 3V hamlets (Setauket-East Setauket).

Old 10-25-2015, 01:43 AM

156 posts, read 200,923 times
Quote:
I don't discount the Gold Coast Nassau vs north shore Suffolk comparison. I grew up in Nassau and spent a fair amount of time in Mill Neck and Lattingtown, occasionally at one girl's house in Muttontown. That's why I initially cringed when I saw Manhasset on the list as a tier 1 and Old Field as a tier 2. When you do the comparisons as to median household income, it is very clear that Muttontown and Old Field have far more in common than Manhasset -- which is much closer to tier 3 Sayville. The tier 3 is spot on.

The initial post read in part:

If you're discussing wealthy towns, perhaps it would helpful you to place them in tiers according to actual data. As it is, the group in tier 1 ranges from $103K to over $200K, while tier 3 has a $101K.

Another issue here is that the 3V is being lumped together despite it being several different hamlets and incorporated villages. If someone wishes to cherry pick a particular area -- let's say Village of Asharoken -- compare it to Village of Old Field, not the entire 3V with all of its hamlets and 2 incorporated villages. Compare apples to apples.

I was wrong dropping Asharoken to a tier 3, however it does not belong with the tier 2 as you have written it. I believe you need 5 tiers as I have broken down above, but that's probably just me be a picky pain in the tushy.
It was a very interesting journey from Manhasset's median income, to the heat map, to Google Maps. Looks like they've got a ghetto ! Take a look at the neighborhood near North Shore LIJ, grandview ave, summer ave. They actually have bars on the doors and windows. It's median income is $26k, which tremendously brings down the small sampling of Manhasset CDP. The Manhasset CDP doesn't include Plandome, Plandome Manor, Flower Hill, Munsey Park, or North Hills.

A better way to measure Manhasset is by the zip code 11030, which includes all the towns in the district. Median income $172k, not even close to Sayville! Interestingly, it doesn't include that small ghetto section, which has a Great Neck zip. Perhaps it isn't even in the district.

The entire point of the poll is that I'm not going to cherry pick an area. I want to account for the district as a whole, and Old Field is a high-end neighborhood in a middle class, maybe upper middle town. Same with the rest of tier 2.

Again, I'm not comparing Old Field with Asharoken with Belle Terre. I am comparing East Setauket to Northport to Port Jefferson. These zip codes and school districts have some $2 million homes, but they are definitely in the top 5-10% of those towns.

If you live in Tier 2, you will have upper class neighbors, but you will not be consistently surrounded with the degree of wealth that you would in tier 1.

I actually can't believe that you looked past the MHI technicality of Manhasset and compared it to Sayville!

By the way, i was referring to the billionaire's choice, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island