Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times

Advertisements

The next Nassau County town wide reassessment is Jan 2018 which kicks in with the October 2019 School tax bill.

Jan 2016 assessment will be the same as last year unless you won a tax grievance to make it lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
This is why I moved from Brooklyn to LI. 20k of LI property taxes is cheaper than my NYC income tax liability. On top of that, my kids get to go to a good school system (Roslyn) as opposed to an underperforming ghetto public school in Dumbo (PS307). No brainer to move here. Plus Deblasio is ruining NYC, but thats another story.
Agree, and your NYC income taxes don't even have to be this high for the move to be worth it. If the comparison is between a house in NE Queens and Nassau county, remember even though comparatively low, NYC still does have property taxes and, in some neighborhoods, they aren't as low as you think. They went up tremendously during the Bloomberg years. I think if your NYC tax burden is around $10,000, Nassau starts looking better.

Sure, some row houses in Astoria, Woodside, etc. have super-low property taxes, but let's compare apples to apples. Say, a single family in Whitestone, North Flushing, Hollis Hills, Bayside vs the same thing in Great Neck. Your NYC property taxes are going to be at the very very least $5,000 and likely a lot more, AND the house itself will be significantly more expensive, AND the schools, though good, cannot compare with their equivalent on Long Island, AND you will be getting typically better local services, AND there are some property tax "bargains" to be had on on the North Shore, when you compare the tax burden to the value of the property.

Also, most of NE Queens is no quicker to Manhattan than a good LIRR town in Nassau.

I love Queens and began my property search in North Flushing, Bayside area. It just made zero sense.

Caveat: The nice thing about NYC income tax is that if you run into some hard times, your tax burden drops, sharply, since that's that's how income taxes work.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Queens vs LI question becomes moot after a certain taxable income level. 20k+ of Nassau property tax seems cheap after a certain income level if you take into account the NYC income tax you would pay if lived in Queens or any part of NYC. I'm sure of lot of wealthy people living in those nice big tudors in Douglaston have cash businesses and can under report income.
Agree again, I really think the only thing that can explain the house prices in these neighborhoods (which don't get me wrong, are beautiful) are people with cash businesses under-reporting incomes.

My other theory is that there are a significant number of people who rent these houses out for income and live on Long Island (since that would get them out of NYC income tax) and the house prices really reflect their value as rentals. (This would also explain the relatively very high prices for houses in neighborhoods like Woodside and Corona).

Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Nicer in some aspects (worth) but what about family stuff like yard space and extracurricular activities, programs, parks, etc. ? People who move out to LI are looking for a whole package. Maybe the foreigners who move their kids to NY for the safe housing and great education (what's great on paper) are different and would want those areas. I've driven through those areas and it's certainly not for me... it's still very much city-like with their brick, concrete, and narrow driveways.
NE Queens has a lot of great parks that are really accessible. I like the architecture in the neighborhoods, which is actually coming under threat from McMansions and generally tasteless remodels (but it's the same story in many similar parts of Nassau).

I really can't see a difference between NE Queens and the nearby Nassau neighborhoods (Great Neck, Floral Park Village, Bellerose Village, Valley Stream, etc.). Which makes sense, since Queens County originally extended to the Suffolk line until 1898 and was just a collection of towns, villages and hamlets until that time. The urbanization of the area gradually peters out in eastern Nassau into Suffolk. It's not like you cross the county line into Queens and it's a different world.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:36 AM

157 posts, read 213,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
NE Queens has a lot of great parks that are really accessible. I like the architecture in the neighborhoods, which is actually coming under threat from McMansions and generally tasteless remodels (but it's the same story in many similar parts of Nassau).

I really can't see a difference between NE Queens and the nearby Nassau neighborhoods (Great Neck, Floral Park Village, Bellerose Village, Valley Stream, etc.). Which makes sense, since Queens County originally extended to the Suffolk line until 1898 and was just a collection of towns, villages and hamlets until that time. The urbanization of the area gradually peters out in eastern Nassau into Suffolk. It's not like you cross the county line into Queens and it's a different world.
Being born and raised in Nassau, Queens was a totally different world to me. But now that I reside in Suffolk (where our children were born), my children think they're in the city as soon as we enter Mineola. Go figure.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
Being born and raised in Nassau, Queens was a totally different world to me. But now that I reside in Suffolk (where our children were born), my children think they're in the city as soon as we enter Mineola. Go figure.
Makes sense. My brother feels exactly the same way. He has lived in western Suffolk continuously since he was 2, except for a brief stint in Nassau. I was born in Queens, moved to Suffolk, moved back to Queens and just moved to Nassau and travel to Queens and Suffolk all the time, so it all becomes a blur to me.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 AM

245 posts, read 278,232 times
For anyone that might be interested in such info:

I spoke to the assessment office supervisor and found a property built in the last three years, new construction, in east meadow. The taxes on a home sold for $1MM and valued at $900,000 (4,000 sq ft) was $36,000 and another for $800,000 valued at $600,000 was about $25,000 (3,800 sq ft).

The grievance on the $800,000 has been denied three years in a row.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:05 AM

157 posts, read 213,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Makes sense. My brother feels exactly the same way. He has lived in western Suffolk continuously since he was 2, except for a brief stint in Nassau. I was born in Queens, moved to Suffolk, moved back to Queens and just moved to Nassau and travel to Queens and Suffolk all the time, so it all becomes a blur to me.
You have the advantage of traveling a lot. On the rare occasions that I head back into Nassau, it's like I barely know how to navigate those roads anymore. Merging onto the Meadowbrook is almost dangerous for me nowadays.

Queens to Suffolk is a huge adjustment. Not surprised you went back. Nassau is an easier transition, IMO.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelChange2012 View Post
For anyone that might be interested in such info:

I spoke to the assessment office supervisor and found a property built in the last three years, new construction, in east meadow. The taxes on a home sold for $1MM and valued at $900,000 (4,000 sq ft) was $36,000 and another for $800,000 valued at $600,000 was about $25,000 (3,800 sq ft).

The grievance on the $800,000 has been denied three years in a row.

Why do you think homes that are new construction is hard to sell. Taxes are a wild card as does not hit until 2-3 years after CO issued. So buy a nice 4,000 square foot house for 800K with taxes of 6k, based on tiny run down cape that was on property. BOOM. One day your mortgage instead of put aside $500 a month for taxes it starts putting away $2,000 a month for taxes. Ouch.

Saw one in RVC once it went straight to 36,0000. That is 3k a month on mortgage. And on a block full of capes, this cape had a double plot and guy tore it down and built a 4,000 square foot house with a pool.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
You have the advantage of traveling a lot. On the rare occasions that I head back into Nassau, it's like I barely know how to navigate those roads anymore. Merging onto the Meadowbrook is almost dangerous for me nowadays.

Queens to Suffolk is a huge adjustment. Not surprised you went back. Nassau is an easier transition, IMO.
I needed a tolerable commute. The NSP to Meadowbrook merge isn't easy for anyone. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island