Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,964,195 times

Advertisements

Originally, the opening was 8 ft wide.

How wide is it now?

Also, what kind of roof do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 PM

157 posts, read 212,770 times
If this contractor is the one who opened up this wall, I wouldn't doubt that he'd argue with the architect. Why would he admit he did a poor job? You need a structural engineer in. I would not go to the town and let them know what's happening. You'll just alert them to come to your home and cite you. I'd get the engineer in, have him discuss with architect, and then go forward from there.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:01 AM

84 posts, read 228,955 times
Thank you all. I'm going to the town tomorrow to pull up all the records and a structural engineer will come on Saturday to look at it as well. The opening was originally 8' and now 16' for an open concept kitchen. The contractor is saying reinforcement should've been put in at the time of extension and he said he remember seeing it. I can't verify that until I get the paper work or open up that area. I will not let this one go so easily as the safety of everyone in the house is in question. As for the contractor, who's also a friend, I will not rely on him in fixing this problem. Afterall, this should've been addressed at the time of the renovation.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,335,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang427 View Post
Thank you all. I'm going to the town tomorrow to pull up all the records and a structural engineer will come on Saturday to look at it as well. The opening was originally 8' and now 16' for an open concept kitchen. The contractor is saying reinforcement should've been put in at the time of extension and he said he remember seeing it. I can't verify that until I get the paper work or open up that area. I will not let this one go so easily as the safety of everyone in the house is in question. As for the contractor, who's also a friend, I will not rely on him in fixing this problem. Afterall, this should've been addressed at the time of the renovation.
I'm not sure I follow the back and forth between you, your contractor and the architect.

If you open up the wall 8' in one renovation, and its loadbearing you need a header in the wall speced for the load. Either one was there or it wasn't when the contractor opened up the wall. This would be either a dropped header or flush (buried in the ceiling).
Either way, it should be obvious to a contractor when the wall is open. Sometimes it may not be 100% obvious where the loads are with everything closed up..... however, assuming everything is properly supported, and the basement is open, you can normally figure stuff out.

Get copies of the plans, rather than just look at them to bring to the structural engineer. Also make sure you understand what the contractor said he did in the wall currently. ie: did he put in any support?

Old 10-29-2015, 10:54 AM

Thanks Chrisk327. The contractor did not add additional support when he opened up the wall. He said the existing support is there. Again, the only way to know is to see the plan and talk to a professional at this point.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:34 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,882,174 times
Quote:
Thanks Chrisk327. The contractor did not add additional support when he opened up the wall. He said the existing support is there. Again, the only way to know is to see the plan and talk to a professional at this point.
Your contractor friend is not capable. The wall with the opening is the original exterior wall of your house. The extension was built. The 8' opening was probably supported by a 2x12 header. No other work was done at that time to support anything because it is not necessary considering no other weight was added to the original house. Then your friend took it all down and sheet rocked. The house won't collapse but it probably dropped some since you did that work.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:27 PM

755 posts, read 1,075,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Your contractor friend is not capable. The wall with the opening is the original exterior wall of your house. The extension was built. The 8' opening was probably supported by a 2x12 header. No other work was done at that time to support anything because it is not necessary considering no other weight was added to the original house. Then your friend took it all down and sheet rocked. The house won't collapse but it probably dropped some since you did that work.
Sounds like this is exactly the issue. Hard to imagine the previous owner put in a header to support the entire side of the house. Just enough for the 8' opening is what they normally do.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,123,473 times
^^ Exactly....and how what happened to the support posts when they made the opening wider? Woops.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:03 AM

OK, updates.

1) I went to the town and got the paperwork on the extension and the dormer. These were done in 1965. They are legal. The original support there was to support the 8' opening.
2) Structural engineer came by and looked at the paper work, the house and the beam. He did calculation and deemed that the existing support is not adequate for the second floor. This isn't a surprise to me at this point.

I need to correct this. My questions to you is: should I formally file paperwork for this work? It is structural work and not something minor. We renewed our kitchen and bathroom. We didn't change the plumbing or electrical (as in the position of how things are ran). My concern is the inspector will want us to open up everything (including walls and floor) to see electrical and plumbing.

Whats your take on this?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM

19,149 posts, read 16,976,197 times
Quote:
OK, updates.

1) I went to the town and got the paperwork on the extension and the dormer. These were done in 1965. They are legal. The original support there was to support the 8' opening.
2) Structural engineer came by and looked at the paper work, the house and the beam. He did calculation and deemed that the existing support is not adequate for the second floor. This isn't a surprise to me at this point.

I need to correct this. My questions to you is: should I formally file paperwork for this work? It is structural work and not something minor. We renewed our kitchen and bathroom. We didn't change the plumbing or electrical (as in the position of how things are ran). My concern is the inspector will want us to open up everything (including walls and floor) to see electrical and plumbing.

Whats your take on this?
You have a legal extension that was completed and documented in 1965, realize industry standards have changed in 40 years and what was acceptable in 65' may be determined to be inadequate today. If you have an engineer/architect that have identified the need for a more suitable beam to provide support in an enlarged opening then yes I would go the legal route so the extension/dormer remain legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island