Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times

Advertisements

Death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 02:03 PM

30,852 posts, read 36,738,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Everybody on Sunrise drives 75-80.
Oh, gotta love the "everyone else is doing it" argument.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,486,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
What kind of damage $ am I expecting? 200+?300? I'm going to plead not guilty because I'm hoping to get a lesser charge and hope I won't get points on my license. This is my first offense ever. I've also just taken a defensive driving course, but not sure how relevant that would be. Honestly, the lack of an idea of what I'll be paying makes me more stressed than paying the ticket itself..
Slow down! ...and stop tailgating people BTW!

Old 11-02-2015, 02:15 PM

258 posts, read 453,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Oh, gotta love the "everyone else is doing it" argument.
When the one person going 55 is holding traffic up in the entire lane causing sudden slowdowns and braking, yes, I do.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 PM

254 posts, read 433,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
What kind of damage $ am I expecting? 200+?300? I'm going to plead not guilty because I'm hoping to get a lesser charge and hope I won't get points on my license. This is my first offense ever. I've also just taken a defensive driving course, but not sure how relevant that would be. Honestly, the lack of an idea of what I'll be paying makes me more stressed than paying the ticket itself..
BTW, I kinda got a kick out of your statement that this was your "first offense ever". Let's just call it what it is- the first time you ever GOT CAUGHT. Many people drive over the speed limit, myself included, however I usually don't go faster than 65 in a 55. Lots of people passing me, doesn't bother me...I'll eventually get to where I'm going...

Old 11-02-2015, 04:53 PM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times
I'm The best driver on the road ever.
Any road. Anywhere. Ever. Me. I know it.
Anyone who knows me knows it.
So there.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:12 PM

157 posts, read 211,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Even though it is a traffic violation, our system is still based on "innocent until proven guilty." Everyone is entitled to a fair trial when accused of a crime. Everyone is entitled to representation to navigate the complicated legal process.

No good lawyer will argue that a speeder is entitled to walk free (I'm not a lawyer, but I am also not arguing that). They will however, argue what a proper punishment should be.

Traffic fines in NYS have become a cash cow for a bloated and corrupt government. They add charges on top of the charges which are usually out of line with the infraction committed. Speed limits (not necessarily in this case) are often set intentionally low (certainly not using the 85th percentile rule, as they should) to create speed traps and generate revenue. Similar things are done with unnecessary stop signs and red-light cameras at intersections with a shortened yellow light sequence. Its about money, not safety.

The Suffolk traffic court system (last time I was there) is the same as NYC. There are no real judges - they have administrative law judges. Their job is simply to asses fines and collect money. Being right or wrong makes no difference - they cop wrote it, you pay it. Even if the cop admits he was wrong.

An attorney doesn't provide a "get out of jail free" card. They merely level the playing field. You usually end up paying the same fine, plus attorney fees. The difference is that you can sometimes avoid the recurring NYS "surcharge" and the increase in insurance rates. No one is getting a free ride. The "judge" always has the ability to decide the driver is dangerous and not allow any deal.

It is similar to the tax code. Set up so the average person gets shafted. You hire an accountant who "knows the system" just to get a fair shake.

While driving 82 is a 55 is _usually_ unsafe, it seems that in this case no one was harmed. The OP simply violated an arbitrary rule based on a number randomly assigned in the 1970s. I am NOT justifying unsafe driving, just pointing out the fact that no one was "hurt" by these actions.

Now it just becomes a matter of opinion as to how much of a penalty it takes for the OP to learn his lesson and change driving habits. The system is set up that to just "pay the fine" is excessive punishment. Hiring a lawyer will simply make things a bit more balanced.

If the law believes this infraction is so horrible, take the license away for a set amount of time. If not, there is no reason bleed a person dry by assessing outrageous fees which can keep recurring for years. If safety was the goal, the system wouldn't be based on who can afford to pay the ticket.

And keep in mind... this has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. I imagine most people would sing a different tune when they get ticketed for an offense they didn't commit. This has happened to me three times in my driving career. I'm talking cut and dried innocent. Sometimes the cop is actually wrong (he is also human). Other times he has to write a certain number of tickets and your name got pulled out of the hat.

I swear, you post just to taunt me lol.

Again, I disagree with you regarding speed limit. The 55 wasn't just an arbitrary number assigned randomly in the 70's. Engineers come out and consider inspect traffics patterns, retail, and traffic lights when coming up with the limit.

Now, if you're right and that 55 limit is from the 1970's, then consider that the population has substantially increased, traffic lights have increased, and retail businesses on Sunrise have significantly increased. That should mean that going 82 is even more dangerous now than it was back then.

Just because no one was hurt doesn't mean a thing. It means the idiot was pulled over before he/she got around to doing it. I can't think of one stretch of Sunrise where 82 is remotely safe.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:17 PM

22,094 posts, read 19,296,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMcFamily View Post
I swear, you post just to taunt me lol.

Again, I disagree with you regarding speed limit. The 55 wasn't just an arbitrary number assigned randomly in the 70's. Engineers come out and consider inspect traffics patterns, retail, and traffic lights when coming up with the limit.

Now, if you're right and that 55 limit is from the 1970's, then consider that the population has substantially increased, traffic lights have increased, and retail businesses on Sunrise have significantly increased. That should mean that going 82 is even more dangerous now than it was back then.

Just because no one was hurt doesn't mean a thing. It means the idiot was pulled over before he/she got around to doing it. I can't think of one stretch of Sunrise where 82 is remotely safe.
Keep in mind there is a difference between 55 on Sunrise in Nassau with stores and traffic lights and 55 in Suffolk once you get east of route 109 where it opens up in more of a highway. Not saying 82 on that stretch is a good thing (though granted I have done it), but it certainly isn't the same as doing it further west.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:22 PM

157 posts, read 211,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Keep in mind there is a difference between 55 on Sunrise in Nassau with stores and traffic lights and 55 in Suffolk once you get east of route 109 where it opens up in more of a highway. Not saying 82 on that stretch is a good thing (though granted I have done it), but it certainly isn't the same as doing it further west.
I was speaking of right there, actually.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,943,025 times
Don't get a lawyer. These people who do that bring lawyers that look like you pulled them off the street and threw a suit on them that doesn't fit.

You didn't say where this happened...but Nassau plea bargains....and now Suffolk does too whereas they use to not do so.

Suck it up, pay the lesser infraction, learn from life, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island