Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:56 PM

39 posts, read 63,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
Though if Trump wins the presidency and deports the illegals, Hton will see a jump upwards like never before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:20 PM

156 posts, read 219,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubzilla View Post
What is the problem? Do you not realize that Huntington Station has a high illegal immigrant population who often speak limited English, get reduced or free lunch on the taxpayer and hold back the school's test scores. How is a district supposed to compete when a portion of it's students speak limited English? I went to Huntington in the mid 2000's and it's worse today. and experienced these first hand. I don't know what percentage of MS-13, Latin Kings, and local street Hispanic gangs are illegal immigrants or kids of illegals, but I bet it's pretty high. Huntington Station would be much nicer if illegal immigrants were never there.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Though if Trump wins the presidency and deports the illegals, Hton will see a jump upwards like never before.
And probably Westbury too.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:18 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
What is the problem? Do you not realize that Huntington Station has a high illegal immigrant population who often speak limited English, get reduced or free lunch on the taxpayer and hold back the school's test scores. How is a district supposed to compete when a portion of it's students speak limited English? I went to Huntington in the mid 2000's and it's worse today. and experienced these first hand. I don't know what percentage of MS-13, Latin Kings, and local street Hispanic gangs are illegal immigrants or kids of illegals, but I bet it's pretty high. Huntington Station would be much nicer if illegal immigrants were never there.
Same for Westbury! Post Ave was so much nicer 15 years ago when I moved here...I think there was only one bodega at the time...now there are SEVEN!

Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Diversity and good safe schools? Oyster Bay - East Norwich Good students do well there.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:35 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:

You may not be aware that not all of Huntington Station is in the Huntington SD; a large part is in the So. Huntington SD.

That aside, here is some current information regarding student achievements and class/study options, including the STEM school:

http://www.hufsd.edu/assets/pdfs/sch...re_2015-16.pdf

Old 11-16-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You may not be aware that not all of Huntington Station is in the Huntington SD; a large part is in the So. Huntington SD.

That aside, here is some current information regarding student achievements and class/study options, including the STEM school:

http://www.hufsd.edu/assets/pdfs/sch...re_2015-16.pdf
I did know that. IMO that part of the station is a wee bit nicer.

I have a very hard time believing that 91% of the school is college-bound. Do they just take an informal survey at some point in the year? 10% of the students have limited use of the English language and 20% are economically disadvantaged. In my day, there were a lot of kids "college bound" for a total of two weeks. There are some kids from the ghetto that head off to college and do great things. Huntington has had D1 lacrosse players who have come from nothing and graduated from top colleges. A lot of them skip college, work, and stay out of trouble. And that's fine. But a lot of them also take the negative route in life. I can't judge, because I'm from the opiate-addicted white community and not necessarily theirs.

I would never say that kids didn't graduate and achieve things. I did. My friends were a mix of white and blue collar and the negative route in life. I believe that the top usually rises to the occasion in most academic settings. There was a kid from Bellport or Mastic that got into every single Ivy League school. It's just clearly a worse district than most of it's neighbors (South Huntington is very similar) and people are realizing that.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Diversity and good safe schools? Oyster Bay - East Norwich Good students do well there.
Good call. This district is a little weird, a higher class of town, I don't know if $400k will do it there. It has a ton of eye-popping wealth, much more so than anything in Suffolk.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:07 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
BTW, speaking of Oceanside going downhill due to Costco opening
In what town/world/universe would a Costco opening signify the decline of such town? Costco attracts a higher-end shopper and generally does not locate in *bad* areas (and if so, ala the East Harlem location, its due to a variety of other factors in play...such as land issues in prime areas of Manhattan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island