Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:28 AM

11 posts, read 21,037 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am looking for a new home and have come across the Lindenhurst area. I have 3 young girls and my priorities for a new home/town are good schools, nice town, and commute to city via LIRR. Can anyone comment on the quality of the lindenhurst school system? Especially the middle and high school? Also, it seems like the town got hit hard by Sandy and has some closed businesses on wellwood ave. Is this town on a downward trend? I'm moving from the Shirley area and really looking for an upgrade in school and town. Comments and suggestions on Lindenhurst and other towns are appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 06:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
I have been frequenting Lindenhurst alot lately, and it is a pretty nice town. It is a HUGE step up from Shirley. Yes there was damage from Sandy south of Montauk Hwy but I have been in that area, seems to be rebounding nicely. Downtown seems fairly decent, a few empty stores, but better than it was several years ago. Much better than Westbury (Post Ave).
Lindenhurst will be desirable because of the good commute (Babylon Line, most reliable & frequent service) and because it is not far from the water. I would look north of Montauk Hwy though so you dont have to worry about flooding. The area is definitely getting better, but that of course means the rich yuppies from the City will start to move in & make it unaffordable, been seeing more & more Mercedes-Benz in Lindenhurst driveways these days and this is north of Montauk closer to Sunrise!
So if you want go there I definitely would move now before you get priced out. Whatever nice areas on LI remain are getting expensive, quickly!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 PM

157 posts, read 213,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgr124 View Post
Hello

I am looking for a new home and have come across the Lindenhurst area. I have 3 young girls and my priorities for a new home/town are good schools, nice town, and commute to city via LIRR. Can anyone comment on the quality of the lindenhurst school system? Especially the middle and high school? Also, it seems like the town got hit hard by Sandy and has some closed businesses on wellwood ave. Is this town on a downward trend? I'm moving from the Shirley area and really looking for an upgrade in school and town. Comments and suggestions on Lindenhurst and other towns are appreciated. Thank you
Lindenhurst is a great blue collar community that did get hit hard by Sandy. People and businesses weren't as wealthy (or insured) to rebuild the way Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa did. But it's got great residents and is, without a doubt, a step up from Shirley. You're better to get in now while prices are low. It'll revitalize.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:39 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I have been frequenting Lindenhurst alot lately, and it is a pretty nice town. It is a HUGE step up from Shirley. Yes there was damage from Sandy south of Montauk Hwy but I have been in that area, seems to be rebounding nicely. Downtown seems fairly decent, a few empty stores, but better than it was several years ago. Much better than Westbury (Post Ave).
Lindenhurst will be desirable because of the good commute (Babylon Line, most reliable & frequent service) and because it is not far from the water. I would look north of Montauk Hwy though so you dont have to worry about flooding. The area is definitely getting better, but that of course means the rich yuppies from the City will start to move in & make it unaffordable, been seeing more & more Mercedes-Benz in Lindenhurst driveways these days and this is north of Montauk closer to Sunrise!
So if you want go there I definitely would move now before you get priced out. Whatever nice areas on LI remain are getting expensive, quickly!
Anybody with a job and half decent credit score can get a Mercedes-Benz/BMW car note. BUT if we were talkin Bentleys, Lambo's and Rolls Royce then that's a totally different story! Lindenhurst is an okay area, it's a very blue collar town... I wouldn't really call it "nice" though. If you like Lindenhurst then you'd probably also like Deer Park and Farmingdale.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-06-2015 at 09:54 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 08:46 PM

156 posts, read 219,258 times
Is Lindenhurst really that much of a step up from Shirley?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 PM

814 posts, read 911,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Anybody with a job and half decent credit score can get a Mercedes-Benz car note.

Lindenhurst is an okay area, it's a very blue collar town. I wouldn't call it "nice" though.

Btw- If you like Lindenhurst then you'd probably also like Deer Park and Farmingdale.
SMH, judging ones well being by a car is not a good indicator. In a place like Long Island where there is a big desire to keep up with the neighbors, its possible that people are living close to their max and are in debt.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 PM

11 posts, read 21,037 times
Thanks for the insight on Lindenhurst, much appreciated. Does anyone have experience with the school system? Is this a quality school system?

Old 11-06-2015, 10:09 PM

157 posts, read 213,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgr124 View Post
Thanks for the insight on Lindenhurst, much appreciated. Does anyone have experience with the school system? Is this a quality school system?
I worked there as. Resource room teacher. Solid schools. Not tops, but very, very decent. Blows away Shirley. If you're looking for a comparison to a town closer to you, I'd liken it to Center Moriches or Blue Point.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
Is Lindenhurst really that much of a step up from Shirley?
Yeah, it is not even close.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:34 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
I will say to the OP that Lindenhurst and basically most of the Town of Babylon is the most crowded part of Suffolk County. Will be noticeable to someone coming from further out like Shirley. On the other hand, you will be closer to the City and more jobs.

The road system in Babylon is actually pretty good for one of the more crowded areas (major exception is the disaster called Rte. 110 and sometimes Deer Park avenue). I love Rte 109 and Straight Path which travel diagonally so you can save time. Also Sunrise Highway in Babylon is much better then in Nassau County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island