Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:41 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailRNY View Post
Just so you know. At a red you have to stop for 3 seconds. THEN you can go.

I dinged at a flucking red light flucking camera by the Hicksville train station 3 times in 4 days. Once I got the red light tickets I researched it and saw I was wrong.

You MUST stop for 3 seconds.
I dunno about timing it. But you should actually stop, and not proceed until you have determined that it is safe to do so. That's the tricky part, it seems. And, by the way, Left turning traffic is considered "oncoming traffic" Yo do NOT have the right of way over them if you are facing a red light. Stop and wait for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackRyder View Post
Did you know that stop signs with a white border are optional?
Also, if you hit a pedestrian BUT knock them onto the sidewalk and off the road, it's no longer a traffic violation.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailRNY View Post
Just so you know. At a red you have to stop for 3 seconds. THEN you can go.

I dinged at a red light Moderator cut: language camera by the Hicksville train station 3 times in 4 days. Once I got the red light tickets I researched it and saw I was wrong.

You MUST stop for 3 seconds.
There's no specific 3 second rule. It's just easier to think of it that way, but a complete stop is a complete stop, and they won't cite you if they see you stop for only 1 second when they review the footage (it's easy to contest). If you need help, look out your window to either side and you'll know what a complete stop is. The scenery stops moving completely too and that's sufficient.

Many of us think we're doing a sufficient stop daily at stop signs even, but if you look for real, you have just rolled through a stop sign. In most cases it's enough for cops who will ignore that deed so that's fine, but you best be careful if you think slowing down is stopping for a stop sign.

Ever since red light cameras, I've made it a point to stop in full (even if 1 second) at all right on reds including camera corners. Never a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Also, if you hit a pedestrian BUT knock them onto the sidewalk and off the road, it's no longer a traffic violation.
Yeah but what do I get from them if they've dented my car? Dude... be more considerate.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-12-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 08:39 AM

39 posts, read 63,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhangdi123 View Post
this question was already there , but the difference is that ...there is NO SIGN saying make FULL STOP before turning right....rt turn on red is ALLOWED in nassau and incidentally at the same intersection on the opposite side there is a sign posted which says so ...this is the corner of so oyster bay rd and woodbury ..please advise if the ticket can be disputed ??
When you see a "stop" sign, do you wait for a "go" sign, or do you only take signs literally as suits your agenda?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 AM

126 posts, read 222,086 times
I always figured that shifting back into first gear required a complete stop. I guess it is easier to roll through on an automatic.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:56 PM

481 posts, read 665,833 times
I came from a place I don't need to stop for red light to make a right turn. However, after getting two tickets, I realized I was wrong. And now, I stop completely before making a right. OP, learn from mistake and start changing your bad habit. OR.....you can keep doing that. Only $80 a ticket. I bet a lot of LIer can afford them.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
I came from a place I don't need to stop for red light to make a right turn. However, after getting two tickets, I realized I was wrong. And now, I stop completely before making a right. OP, learn from mistake and start changing your bad habit. OR.....you can keep doing that. Only $80 a ticket. I bet a lot of LIer can afford them.
I suspect that more likely, you came from a place where they didn't enforce a full stop on red before making a right turn, or they simply never actually saw you making a right turn.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:01 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Only $80? Really you think every LI'er are rich? Let me tell you a lot cannot afford to pay the ticket but find some way to do it. Where do you come from that you do not need to stop at a red light to make a right turn? An $80 ticket to some people is a lot.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:02 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
There's no specific 3 second rule. It's just easier to think of it that way, but a complete stop is a complete stop, and they won't cite you if they see you stop for only 1 second when they review the footage (it's easy to contest). If you need help, look out your window to either side and you'll know what a complete stop is. The scenery stops moving completely too and that's sufficient.
It seems like some people have gotten tickets and been told they didn't stop for three seconds. The NY Times included this quote in a story about the guy on Long Island who tampered with some cameras:

Quote:
In the self-shot video of his stunt, Mr. Ruth said he was fed up with getting tickets for not waiting three seconds before turning right at red lights, even “after I clearly see there’s no one coming in my direction.”
I've read other comments from people who were told they didn't stop for three seconds so I think it's safe to assume that's how the law may be enforced. The easiest way to figure out three seconds is say to yourself one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:06 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
I came from a place I don't need to stop for red light to make a right turn.
I'm pretty sure you must stop first at a right on red light everywhere in the United States. Are you from this country?

Last edited by martinjsxx; 11-16-2015 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: