Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 AM

30 posts, read 42,484 times

Advertisements

I have yellow jackets under the siding of my house. My husband has tried spraying with the wasp spray but since they are up under the siding the spray doesn't get up high enough. Does anybody have any DIY suggestions or know the name of a good bee removal company? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisheyesT View Post
I have yellow jackets under the siding of my house. My husband has tried spraying with the wasp spray but since they are up under the siding the spray doesn't get up high enough. Does anybody have any DIY suggestions or know the name of a good bee removal company? Thanks.
they are still alive at this point of the year? Sure they are yellow jackets and not honeybees?

I'd wait for the winter if possible. The nest should be dead within a month or so, and the queen will have moved on. Just don't let them start a new nest next year. Put out wasp traps and destroy the nests before they grow in numbers in the spring.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
I had a nest behind a door light, right by a porch I needed to paint. I had one fly up my jacket and sting. Not good.

I waited until nightfall when the nasty buggers are dormant, unscrewed the light fixture and sprayed it copiously. Guess what? THere was no nest in the J-box. They were actually behind it. The colder weather has killed most of them and the nest is now inactive, but boy, those wasps are nasty.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Please make sure they're actually yellow jackets and not honey bees. Honey bees are virtually harmless, rarely sting and are hugely important to the environment.

Yellow Jacket:

Honey Bee:

Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 PM

30 posts, read 42,484 times
They are definitely yellow jackets. Does anyone know if they die off in the winter or do they just kind of go to sleep and come back again in the spring? The problem now is they are somehow getting into my bedroom but I don't know how. It should be cold enough for a long enough period of time soon to hopefully kill them. I just don't want them back again in the spring.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
They are definitely yellow jackets. Does anyone know if they die off in the winter or do they just kind of go to sleep and come back again in the spring? The problem now is they are somehow getting into my bedroom but I don't know how. It should be cold enough for a long enough period of time soon to hopefully kill them. I just don't want them back again in the spring.

The whole nest other than the queen should die off, and the queen may or may not stay in there..make sure you blitz it so there's not chance of it surviving. From what I've read the queen will not reuse the nest but they often build new nests close to the old ones...we get massive nests on the same trees in my neighborhood every year, but never in exactly the same place.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:38 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
They do die off with the frost.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:24 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
They will die off if they aren't in the walls to your house. I would get an exterminator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island