U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 PM

85 posts, read 415,232 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me some info about the area? Is Roslyn Heights part of Roslyn? Is it a nice area to live? I know that that Herricks schools well rated. Any information will be appreciated?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,481,079 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
Could anyone give me some info about the area? Is Roslyn Heights part of Roslyn? Is it a nice area to live? I know that that Herricks schools well rated. Any information will be appreciated?

While Roslyn Heights is not part of Roslyn, it's considered part of the greater Roslyn area, along with all or part of Roslyn Harbor, East Hills, Roslyn Estates, North Hills and Flower Hill.

Also, while most of Roslyn Heights is in the Roslyn Union Free School District, portions are in the East Williston Union Free School District; however, if I'm reading my maps correctly, it does not appear that Roslyn Heights is in the Herricks Union Free School District, but that part of Albertson that has a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address is in the Herricks School District.

For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn Heights:

Roslyn Heights is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Roslyn Estates, the Village of Roslyn and the Village of East Hills; on the east by the Village of East Hills and the Village of Old Westbury; on the south by the Village of Mineola and the Village of East Williston; and, on the west by the Village of East Williston, the Hamlet of Albertson, the Hamlet of Searingtown and the Village of North Hills.

Roslyn Heights is one of those villages and hamlets communities on Long Island where many of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places with a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights are in the Hamlet of Albertson, the Village of North Hills and the Village of East Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights that have an "Albertson, NY 11507" and "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights: not yet available.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 AM

185 posts, read 1,151,558 times
Roslyn HEIGHTS is considered the lowest part of roslyn--houses near the train and off mineola ave are in the 500K range. (except for a handful which a new construction which are having a hard time selling as the comps for the area are significant lower) Most of roslyn heights are within the roslyn school district which is excellent and smaller than herricks. (I would prefer roslyn) A lot of people i know have gotten starter homes in roslyn heights and then have moved to roslyn or east hills. Hope this info helps.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:40 AM

1,900 posts, read 6,636,069 times
Based on your other posts and things we have discussed, I would pass on Roslyn Heights. I can't give you solid reasons other than just eh...nothing special and I would not buy a home htere.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Albertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
Roslyn Heights ... Herricks schools ... ?

There is a part of Albertson that has a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address that is in the Herricks Union Free School District.

For those who may not be familiar with Albertson:

Albertson is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-south part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Albertson in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Searingtown and the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; on the east by the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; on the south by the Hamlet of Williston Park; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Searingtown.

The Hamlet of Albertson has a different border than does the "Albertson, NY 11507" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Albertson, NY 11507" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Albertson and a place can be in the Hamlet of Albertson and have other than an "Albertson, NY 11507" mailing address): places that have an "Albertson, NY 11507" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Albertson are in the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights and the Hamlet of Searingtown; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Albertson that have a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Albertson-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM

2,940 posts, read 7,725,042 times
The area of Roslyn Heights near the train station on west to Mineola ave along Warner ave is one to avoid though, lots of illegals. There's always a bunch of them loitering at Mineola and Warner.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 29,700 times
Default Get The Facts Before Spewing Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
Roslyn HEIGHTS is considered the lowest part of roslyn--houses near the train and off mineola ave are in the 500K range. (except for a handful which a new construction which are having a hard time selling as the comps for the area are significant lower) Most of roslyn heights are within the roslyn school district which is excellent and smaller than herricks. (I would prefer roslyn) A lot of people i know have gotten starter homes in roslyn heights and then have moved to roslyn or east hills. Hope this info helps.
If you go by 11577 Roslyn heights Zip code there are many neighborhoods other than "off Roslyn Road". East Hills is still Roslyn Heights, Norgate, West Park, North Park, Country Club, ETC... These are all Beautiful Neighborhoods IN ROSLYN HEIGHTS . I guess you are new to the neighborhood. Also The true heights, From Mineola Ave. Many beautiful old homes, Victorian, Arts & Crafts, Colonial etc... Drive down Willow Street. Norman Rockwell type houses. No glitz or schmaltz there

Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECOBEAR View Post
If you go by 11577 Roslyn heights Zip code there are many neighborhoods other than "off Roslyn Road". East Hills is still Roslyn Heights, Norgate, West Park, North Park, Country Club, ETC... These are all Beautiful Neighborhoods IN ROSLYN HEIGHTS . I guess you are new to the neighborhood. Also The true heights, From Mineola Ave. Many beautiful old homes, Victorian, Arts & Crafts, Colonial etc... Drive down Willow Street. Norman Rockwell type houses. No glitz or schmaltz there

Roslyn Heights, the hamlet, and Roslyn Heights, the 11577 ZIP Code postal zone, are not the same.

As I posted above:

Roslyn Heights is one of those villages and hamlets communities on Long Island where many of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places with a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights are in the Hamlet of Albertson, the Village of North Hills and the Village of East Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights that have an "Albertson, NY 11507" and "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
esq

8 posts, read 45,740 times
I live in Roslyn Heights and I have no complaints. The school district (despite its track record of financial mismanagement) is still among the best in the state (I think it's 40 out of 760 disctricts statewide), the commute is reasonable (50 minutes to Penn on the express which unfortunately only runs once in the am and in the pm), the houses are affordable and it's a great neighborhood. Location, like with any other area, is key. Many areas near train stations are commercial or leave something to be desired. However, the area immediately surrounding the Roslyn train station is not an eyesore (there are four or five stores) and some apartments (some of which are co-ops/condos). As someone who walks to the Roslyn train station every day, I do not see people loitering or feel unsafe. My wife and I are tucked away on a small street and we do not see train tracks, the LIE, the Northern State or any main roads. My advice is to shop around because location is paramount. The reality is many people simply can't afford East Hills, or Roslyn Estatates, but Roslyn Heights is a great alternative for middle class families that want a great area at a great price.

With regards to "illegals" I think we need to remember that many of "them" come to Roslyn Heights and other areas looking for work. And they come looking for work because people hire them. Yes, that's right - the average Joe the plumber doesn't want to pay licensed contractors so they hire "illegals" to do the job for a fraction of the price. The same thing could be said for drug dealers and prostititutes - (notwithstanding the fact that people may travel further for drugs and sex, respectively, than they would for a day laborer) if you don't want them in your area, don't patronize.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM
esq

8 posts, read 45,740 times
The "lowest" part of a great area is very misleading. The greater Roslyn area is out of reach for most people ($1 million is a lot of money). When you look at what $500K gets you in Long Island, it doesn't go very far, unless you want to be in Suffolk or in the "highest" part of a bad area. In my opinion, it is difficult to find areas that are comparable.

Also, I do not mean to come across as mean, but I am so glad that I purchased my home and I didn't listen to all of the negative comments about Roslyn Heights. The decision is yours, but in the $500K price range (on the North Shore) Roslyn Heights is really a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island