Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 07:35 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,977,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incivism View Post
I work for a water company, but not the one servicing your area. All water suppliers on Long Island treat groundwater with Chlorine. You'll only get that bleachy odor or taste when the levels are too low (think swimming pool). There are a few factors which may drop the levels that are not the fault of the water company's pumping station, in your case, American Water.
Fill a clean glass with tap water and walk out of the room with it. Do you still notice the smell? No? Sounds silly but you maybe smelling an old sponge or the drain in your sink.
Do you have any filters? Change them. I don't recommend them at all, if you don't stay on top of them you will end up with zero chlorine which can be a very bad thing.
Are you on a dead end block? A call to your utility will likely have them showing up and gently spilling the last hydrant to get the water flowing and chemical reads back to normal.
There may be a leak on your water service line, possible but unlikely.
Call your water company! Taste and odor issues are taken very seriously and they will send someone out relatively quickly.
I've called the water company several times and was told that despite the overwhelming chlorine odor, if they come out to my house and water tested within their range of normal, they'd charge me for service call and test. It's their way to deter people from calling.

I've got a power line 9' over lawn on one section of my home. LIPA (whatever it's called now) won't raise it because it's within "normal" parameters. We pay more and more in utilities and get less and less service.

Cablevision would only install cable if they drilled a hole in my hardwood floors. They don't "fish" through the walls. The serviceman refused to run the wire into our base moulding pre drilled hole because he was too lazy to fish it up 2".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:10 AM

1,402 posts, read 1,525,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incivism View Post
Do you have any filters? Change them. I don't recommend them at all, if you don't stay on top of them you will end up with zero chlorine which can be a very bad thing.
Could you elaborate on that?

First, why don't you recommend filters? Even if minimally effective, wouldn't they still provide _some_ benefit?

If you don't stay on top of them, wouldn't filters be less effective and allow more chlorine (and other contaminants) through?

Why would ending up with zero chlorine be a very bad thing?

Not arguing - I'm genuinely curious as these claims seem counter-intuitive.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 AM

116 posts, read 170,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Could you elaborate on that?

First, why don't you recommend filters? Even if minimally effective, wouldn't they still provide _some_ benefit?

If you don't stay on top of them, wouldn't filters be less effective and allow more chlorine (and other contaminants) through?

Why would ending up with zero chlorine be a very bad thing?

Not arguing - I'm genuinely curious as these claims seem counter-intuitive.

Filters turn brown, you buy more filters. Water on Long Island is from underground aquifers which are typically loaded with iron (brown!). Filter companies love ground water for this reason alone. The vast majority of people do not have an adverse reaction to iron, although more and more companies are removing as much as then can for aesthetic reasons. The aquifers are naturally filtered by the earth before the water is brought to the surface. Once drawn up, it's treated with chlorine after any nasty volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are removed. The chlorine is there to protect the consumer from anything that may enter the 'clean' water supply once it leaves the pumping stations. All water suppliers must meet or exceed state and federal regulations and are monitored constantly. Zero chlorine allows for bacteria growth, a very bad thing! Not keeping up with monthly filter changes leads to a breakdown of the filter material, your water pressure will suffer, and all the chlorine entering the filter will stay there to kill the bacteria you're now growing.

As for the other poster above, who is your water supplier? I've never heard of charges for a negative reading after an odor complaint. In my district, I WELCOME these calls as they often lead us to noticing a slight drop in chlorine residual from the source. We actually rely on the consumer to let us know anytime they believe there's a drop in quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island