Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:46 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
there has always been a large number of kids from WAY out east who suck it up and go to St. Anthony's for various reasons.
Do you know if they get bussed from Stony Brook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 03:03 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
call the school district. They'll be able to tell you.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
I know of Knox and Stony Brook School, but are there any GOOD, "affordable" private schools like Chaminade or St. Anthony's in E. Suffolk? Knox is affordable (well, compared to SB School lol), but it doesn't offer much in terms of academics/sports/clubs due to the small student population.
Those are Catholic schools, not private schools. There is a difference. I haven't lived there in a while, but The Knox School has a good reputation. The Ross School is also well thought of by many.
http://www.ross.org/ That's what I would choose. It's in East Hampton.

The Stony Brook School is an evangelical Christian school, with all that entails. Billy Graham's son went there.

In Nassau there is Portledge, Friends Academy and Long Island Lutheran (which is borderline parochial) all in the Brookville area.
Waldorf is in Garden City.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Those are Catholic schools, not private schools. There is a difference. I haven't lived there in a while, but The Knox School has a good reputation. The Ross School is also well thought of by many.
Ross School - An innovative day and boarding school for PreN-Grade 12 That's what I would choose. It's in East Hampton.

The Stony Brook School is an evangelical Christian school, with all that entails. Billy Graham's son went there.

In Nassau there is Portledge, Friends Academy and Long Island Lutheran (which is borderline parochial) all in the Brookville area.
Thanks for clearing that up. I see anything that costs me extra $ as private school, since it isn't public. I'm not looking for parochial, per she, but something "affordable", i.e. Not 20-30k annually. That's college tuition!

Old 12-10-2015, 01:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
St Anthony's students do not get bussed from Stony Brook. I had considered St A's for my youngest. She would have been taking the train with a number of other kids from the area.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:30 PM

60 posts, read 121,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Ross School - An innovative day and boarding school for PreN-Grade 12 That's what I would choose. It's in East Hampton.

Genuinely curious since I don't know too much about the private schools on the island. How does The Knox School have a good reputation. Their website provides information on the colleges they students were accepted too, and all the activities done. No Ivys or high ranking colleges except for maybe 1-2 of them, and a lot of the fees seem overprices.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♦♣♠ View Post
Genuinely curious since I don't know too much about the private schools on the island. How does The Knox School have a good reputation. Their website provides information on the colleges they students were accepted too, and all the activities done. No Ivys or high ranking colleges except for maybe 1-2 of them, and a lot of the fees seem overprices.
I agree. No Ivies, no separate AP classes, very limited. Especially for $10k/year

Old 12-23-2015, 08:54 AM

20 posts, read 101,246 times
And on top of the 10.5k you must have a private account held at the school of 1500. So, tuition is actually 12k. There is an extremely high turnover and many of the teachers are teaching classes they aren't qualified to. I've pulled my daughter for many reasons.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Use the train to St. A or even Chaminade....

Old 01-04-2016, 07:35 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Use the train to St. A or even Chaminade....
kids from out east have typically taken the train to Chaminade as it's not that far a walk from the LIRR station. But taking the "train" to St. Anthony's is completely unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island