Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 11:56 AM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Nassau is getting worse.
Yeah. God forbid we expect people to obey traffic rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:07 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I think it used to be like $75, this is quite the hike. Does it matter if it's a county or state road? Is there such thing as a local/town road?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,099 times
Make sure you drive safely through Mineola and Williston Park! I've gotten two tickets near the police precinct in Williston Park over the years...Hillside Avenue is swarming with cops looking to penalize you for the slighest mistakes. Just plead not guilty, they should take the points off and just have you pay the fine.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:13 AM

15 posts, read 46,923 times
I make a post in a thread about getting an $880 fine for an improper lane change and I just get told I'm a bad driver and spoiled. How come there's sympathy for this traffic violation here??

Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 AM

81 posts, read 106,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotAShark View Post
I make a post in a thread about getting an $880 fine for an improper lane change and I just get told I'm a bad driver and spoiled. How come there's sympathy for this traffic violation here??
I think it's because not many people understand that a stop is not a suggestion. If they replaced all the stop signs will a SLOW sign, nobody would drive any different.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:42 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
I failed to make a complete stop at a stop sign in Mineola yesterday. The officer handed me a long piece of paper that did not indicate how much the fine is? Either I plead guilty or not guilty via mail, or go to court.

The last time I recieved a ticket was in Queens and usually the piece of paper indicates how much the fine is and I just send payment and be done with it.

Do I just plead guilty by mail and wait for a bill from the town of Mineola?

Thanks for your replies.
Out of curiosity, was it a trap (cop car parked waiting to give tickets) or was it a patrol car that just happened to see you not make a full stop?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
If your wheels move, they give you a ticket, had it happen to a family member years ago. Unfortunately it's your word against the officers. Personally everyone should have dashcams in their cars to capture this nonsense.
Instead of sitting at a stop sign waiting for someone to take advantage of, he should have been on Prospect or Union in New Cassel getting gang members off the streets.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Yeah. God forbid we expect people to obey traffic rules.
If someone blatently ran a stop sign they deserve a ticket, but I can tell you they can give you a ticket if your wheels move. Happened to my Mom so many years back in the Village of Sea Cliff, you have to make sure you come to a COMPLETE STOP and stay there for at least a few seconds. First & only traffic ticket my Mom ever got!
And Red Light cams are set up the same way. If you can make a right on red, BEWARE! They can get you if you don't stay stopped for more than a couple of seconds, doesn't matter if the road is empty.
My Uncle was nailed by an RLC last year for this!
I'm all for obeying the rules of the road, but tickets for wheel movement at stop signs is a MONEY GRAB.
And so are the red light cams, they shorten the yellows to catch ppl. You basically have to stop when the light changes to yellow, even if you are just feet away from the intersection. And pray you don't get rear ended.
Makes me glad I don't drive, but now the same said govts are cutting bus service so more people can get robbed by scam cabs that contributed to campaigns of said govt officials.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:35 AM

122 posts, read 266,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Out of curiosity, was it a trap (cop car parked waiting to give tickets) or was it a patrol car that just happened to see you not make a full stop?
It was a cop car that pulled me over, honestly did not see him so he must have been hiding

Old 12-18-2015, 09:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
If someone blatently ran a stop sign they deserve a ticket, but I can tell you they can give you a ticket if your wheels move. Happened to my Mom so many years back in the Village of Sea Cliff, you have to make sure you come to a COMPLETE STOP and stay there for at least a few seconds. First & only traffic ticket my Mom ever got!
And Red Light cams are set up the same way. If you can make a right on red, BEWARE! They can get you if you don't stay stopped for more than a couple of seconds, doesn't matter if the road is empty.
My Uncle was nailed by an RLC last year for this!
I'm all for obeying the rules of the road, but tickets for wheel movement at stop signs is a MONEY GRAB.
And so are the red light cams, they shorten the yellows to catch ppl. You basically have to stop when the light changes to yellow, even if you are just feet away from the intersection. And pray you don't get rear ended.
Makes me glad I don't drive, but now the same said govts are cutting bus service so more people can get robbed by scam cabs that contributed to campaigns of said govt officials.
99% of drivers can stay clear of tickets if they would just stop momentum at stop signs (don't need 2 seconds) and full stop a second at every single red light before turning right. It's really not that hard and far from stressful.

The biggest issue is inconsistent policing of these laws, especially stop signs. People get careless or try to get away with more every time they aren't caught. If you knew there was a camera at every turn, you'd be driving like you should and it wouldn't phase you having to do so. Pretend there's a cop at every corner if you have to.

And the best part, you don't give these "crooks" any more money.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-18-2015 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island