Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:59 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You're going to have a very difficult time anywhere on Long Island or New York City keeping away from those of Hispanic and Italian heritage. You may want to look at Rockville Centre which may not have such a high concentration and also has express trains to Manhattan.
Yeah, he/she's in the wrooooong state lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 AM

12 posts, read 13,532 times
Thanks!!
This is exactly the kind of information I would like to hear.
I did not say, anyway, that I want to avoid any person with my same heritage (it would be silly) I just said that honestly when you move to another country it is not our idea of "moving" to start living in the same community you left... America is a melting pot, it would be absurd to move and to act racist. I just said we would not live in a community of southamericans or italians, I did not say we want to avoid our people (though it's not a matter of contempt against our people, there is no prejudice such as "italians are all related to mafia" "colombians are all drug traffickers etc., it is just wanting to experience the new, not living the old in another place).

I checked Rockville Centre out and I liked it. Some of you know what are places in LI with express trains to Manhattan? Are there in LI any places providing stop-free trains? So we have spots to check out and make an easier decision.
In the end all the topic is about finding the fastest train to Manhattan Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Vane.m; 12-22-2015 at 06:23 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vane.m View Post
Thanks!!
I did not say, anyway, that I want to avoid any person with my same heritage (it would be silly) I just said that honestly when you move to another country it is not our idea of "moving" to start living in the same community you left... America is a melting pot, it would be absurd to move and to act racist. I just said we would not live in a community of southamericans or italians, I did not say we want to avoid our people (though it's not a matter of contempt against our people, there is no prejudice such as "italians are all related to mafia" "colombians are all drug traffickers etc., it is just wanting to experience the new, not living the old in another place).

I checked Rockville Centre out and I liked it. Some of you know what are places in LI with express trains to Manhattan? Are there in LI any places providing stop-free trains? So we have spots to check out and make an easier decision.
In the end all the topic is about finding the fastest train to Manhattan Thanks in advance.

You've been given the quickest LIRR line into Manhattan. It's the Port Washington branch. Leave from Manhasset during rush hour, it's one stop at Great Neck. Leave from Great Neck, it is non-stop to Manhattan.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
so you really want to be in Manhattan but will settle for purchasing something on Long Island with a short train commute? Odd. Again, you really need to spend some time here before committing to purchase anything. And ruling out all of Brooklyn and/or Queens is a mistake.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
Just one little point of information for the OP...if you're going to move out here, you will be living ON Long Island, not IN Long Island. Not meant to be picky, but it's the way we all say it out here, because we are living ON an island and you don't live IN an island, I guess that's the only way to explain it!

Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM

86 posts, read 119,725 times
I live in long island but I hate going to Manhattan period. Manhattan is filthy and crowded. Shopping in Manhattan also makes no sense because everything you want or need is on the Internet nowadays. Nyc taxes in general are high but it's nothing compared to nassau county, li. I live in suffolk county nowadays where the taxes are comparable to nyc but is less than nassau county. The long island rail road is the only public transportation really that gets you into the city from li (unless of course you want to take one of these bus lines into Manhattan which still takes a hell of a long time to get to and from and are expensive too). The transit system here sucks in general. Some trains will have you waiting for a long time and when it comes, it is VERY crowded. The long island railroad is a pretty nice trip but they don't run that great and cost ALOT of money. Driving here sucks too....every single time you turn around the tolls go up and there are only a couple of ways to get into Manhattan without paying a toll and the traffic on both of those sucks. One is over the Williamsburg bridge and the other is the 59th street bridge. Parking in Manhattan is a nightmare not to mention expensive as anything! Just to park for one hour on the street costs 3.50. But that beats the parking garages that will charge you 30/hour to park. In Midtown manhattan, there is hardly any parking for cars on the street because everything is reserved for commercial vehicles.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 PM

86 posts, read 119,725 times
Bayside has some nice houses still (wouldn't count on it staying that way for too long) and depending on where you live, the lirr can be within walking distance. There are nice houses (for now)there but you might want to learn how to speak korean or chinese before moving into there since that's what the neighborhood is becoming (and not in a good way). I grew up there and dont think its as nice as it use be but It's located in queens but closer to long island border. In general it's pretty safe and crime is not too bad (of course most crime happens among the asian community trying to pass off their illegally converted houses off as churches or businesses)

Old 12-23-2015, 01:05 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Thanks!!

Babylon Branch has the best service, period. Most frequent, rarely ever see standees as well. Also plenty of express trains. Rockville Centre would be a good fit for you, money is no object, they have plenty of express trains that skip Jamaica, RVC is often the first stop after Penn.
Dont forget Wantagh-Bellmore-Merrick, which also have excellent train service and plenty of rush hour trains that go express...1st stop Merrick. Because of the even spreading of the stops, trains run more on time than on the delay prone Main Line. Babylon Branch has the most trains that skip Jamaica (except for the PW branch..lol)
Main Line sucks in that regard, Huntington has many "milk trains" even in rush hour that are ALWAYS late and crowded. They make all stops from Jamaica, NHP to Huntington. Can't understand why its not like the Babylon Branch. They should split the Main Line into 3 rush hour sections, Penn..exp to NHP, Merrilon, Mineola, East Williston (its electrified to EW but they only have one AM rush hour train from there), the other section express to Mineola, Carle Place, Westbury, Hicksville, then the last section which would be express to Hicksville, Syosset, CSH, and Huntington.
The Ronk Line would have a similar layout, express to Hicksville, then stopping at Bethpage, Farmingdale, Wyandanch and Deer Park, then the 2nd section would be express to Hicksville, then Deer Pk, Brentwood, CI & KO.
Main Line also needs more Atlantic Terminal trains, seems the Babylon Branch gets most of those too.
It also needs to be elevated like the Babylon.
But you don't have to worry, you're one of the lucky ones who can afford to live along the Babylon Branch so go for it!
RVC would be the best place for you, but so could Great Neck or Manhasset.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
First, the areas on you list. I don't know much about Glen Head. Of the rest, cross Westbury off the list. It is not in the same league as the other areas you mention. Also, it will be hard to find a "good" property in Old Westbury in your price range. If you do, keep in mind that most people in Old Westbury send their kids to private school (for good reason).

If your goal is to cut monthly costs, you need to factor in many other items. Property/school tax is going to be more expensive in Nassau. For a <$1MM home in the areas you list, $30,000/year would not be a surprise. While these taxes in NYC may be lower, there are other taxes to consider. You need to look at all things to make an apples to apples cost comparison.

In addition to Manhattan, there are also some very nice areas in Queens and Brooklyn. That will get you closer to Manhattan without being in the suburbs.

On the other side of it, there are areas in western Suffolk (i.e. Dix Hils) which don't increase commute time much from a Woodbury or Syosset, yet offer lower cost of living scenarios than Nassau.

Living in Nassau or Suffolk, going to Manhattan is a "trip." If you work in the city, why would you willingly commute home and then go back there the same day? I think you answered your own question... 40 minutes - 1 hour is a lot of time to spend traveling. Queens, Brooklyn, Nassau and Suffolk all offer many of the same things as Manhattan (shopping, dining, parks, recreation, etc.). If you are going to Broadway shows, major museums or Central Park several times every week, you are better off in Manhattan. If these things are infrequent destinations for you, the suburbs are worth a look. It isn't a "comfort zone" issue... it is a time and trouble issue.

Nassau/Suffolk is not the "country life" at all. It also is very different than Manhattan. You are not isolated in the suburbs and the "dad works while mom stays home" stereotype is not longer very common. However, you DO need a car to get around. In manhattan you walk or take a cab/mass transit everywhere. On Long Island, you drive everywhere. It is a different lifestyle.
Yeah cross Westbury off the list. Its not the worst place to live on LI, but if train service is important to you esp the express component, you def. dont want to live here. I think Westbury only gets one express train in each direction daily. Most are Huntington "milk trains" which are always crowded & late.
But you are close to the mall & stuff.
Plus there is the illegal immigrant population & poor schools. Certainly you can afford MUCH better.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:36 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
To add to the good train advice already given...

Any "express" service from Nassau/Suffolk to Manhattan will only be found during rush hour. That means weekday morning westbound and weekday evenings eastbound.

At most any other time, train service is less frequent and involves more stops. To/from Long Island, almost everything stops at Jamaica - even during rush hours.

All the LIRR schedules are available online. You can look at branches and see all the trains and stops they make. If train access to NYC is a major factor for you, comparing those schedules to your expected travel times makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island