Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 PM

622 posts, read 852,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Again, no one is leaving. I never saw so much traffic in my life!
I never saw so many Condo & Appartment complexes going up. Anyone buying them or renting them for $2500++++ per month is NOT cutting lawns. So, I laugh when I read "Everyone is leaving Long Island".
As perplexing as it may be, the middle class is leaving, both young and retirement age. The census has confirmed this. Net population loss is flat because immigrants and those moving from areas in NYC are moving in. So, if it wasn't for the new Americans coming into NY, for the most part, NY would win the prize as the state losing the most net population. Right now, that honor belongs to Connecticut, a horse with a different set of fleas from LI.

As for that traffic, I really don't see it as heavy as before the economic meltdown in 2008. Also, infrastructure hasn't changed while there are multiple vehicles in front most homes on LI. That and everyone tends to travel at roughly the same time ('drive time'). I do see the LIE through Queens as standstill heavy during rush hour. It was like that back in 1988, when I drove daily to NYC. Oh, and congestion has been growing further east to the point where I won't go to Riverhead if I can help it. That's due to the extensive development that's pushing it's way eastward. I mean who needs drinking water when you could build on the recharge basins, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:52 PM

852 posts, read 968,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
, but my problem is when those people try to force that on people like myself (and you) who have no interest in relocating.
Nobody wants to force you to do anything....except the politicians to whom you pay all those taxes.

Let's face it, politics and economics in NY force people to either live a certain pre-defined way, or relocate. On the other hand, letting people there know that are real options available, and do-able, can be very helpful and encouraging to those who want to leave. For those who are dissatisfied in such a place, it can be quite daunting to break free of what may be the only life they have ever known. You get into a certain mindset, and extrapolate the circumstances and conditions you live under, to other places. I like letting others know that they can break free- and that one doesn't have to be rich to do so.

There was a time when one could pretty much live whatever kind of life they wanted on LI. Those days are long gone. Today, to live on LI is to accept that you WILL support a giant welfare state; and that you likely will never have more than half an acre of land...for which you will pay dearly (even if you were to be given the land for free), and be prohibited from doing much with. Talk about forcing people to do something.....

Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 PM

852 posts, read 968,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Again, no one is leaving. I never saw so much traffic in my life!
I never saw so many Condo & Appartment complexes going up. Anyone buying them or renting them for $2500++++ per month is NOT cutting lawns. So, I laugh when I read "Everyone is leaving Long Island".
As Mowmylawn has already stated, that is nonsense. Of all the people I knew or was related to 30 years, only TWO remain on LI. (And I'm talking about several hundred people- from childhood friends, to people i went to school with, to 2nd and 3rd cousins).

Stop any of those cars you mention, and chances are better than not that the driver doesn't speak English.

Who's living in those $2500/mo. apartments? I'd guess at least 80% can't be rented at market value, and end up as subsidized Section 8's.

Business and industry are vacating LI- and NYS as a (w)hole. The pols have to beg and bribe with subsidies (provided by your money) for companies to stay or come there...and even then, few want any part of it, in a place where a Big Mac will soon cost $10 because the guy wearing the paper hat makes $15/hr by fiat, because some liberal dreamers want to make a fast-food worker equal to you...and use your money to do it!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
As perplexing as it may be, the middle class is leaving, both young and retirement age. The census has confirmed this. Net population loss is flat because immigrants and those moving from areas in NYC are moving in. So, if it wasn't for the new Americans coming into NY, for the most part, NY would win the prize as the state losing the most net population. Right now, that honor belongs to Connecticut, a horse with a different set of fleas from LI.

As for that traffic, I really don't see it as heavy as before the economic meltdown in 2008. Also, infrastructure hasn't changed while there are multiple vehicles in front most homes on LI. That and everyone tends to travel at roughly the same time ('drive time'). I do see the LIE through Queens as standstill heavy during rush hour. It was like that back in 1988, when I drove daily to NYC. Oh, and congestion has been growing further east to the point where I won't go to Riverhead if I can help it. That's due to the extensive development that's pushing it's way eastward. I mean who needs drinking water when you could build on the recharge basins, right?
With all due respect, outmigration is nothing new. If there wasn't any, boy would the "Long Island is too crowded" crew be in for a shocker. Anecdotally, lots of born and bred Long Islanders are certainly moving out of the area. Those that stay may be moving further east or are dreaded yuppies like myself, settling down to start a family. My village is ground zero for NYC refugees and immigrants. They may not all be white, but they are definitely middle class.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
As Mowmylawn has already stated, that is nonsense. Of all the people I knew or was related to 30 years, only TWO remain on LI. (And I'm talking about several hundred people- from childhood friends, to people i went to school with, to 2nd and 3rd cousins).

Stop any of those cars you mention, and chances are better than not that the driver doesn't speak English.

Who's living in those $2500/mo. apartments? I'd guess at least 80% can't be rented at market value, and end up as subsidized Section 8's.

Business and industry are vacating LI- and NYS as a (w)hole. The pols have to beg and bribe with subsidies (provided by your money) for companies to stay or come there...and even then, few want any part of it, in a place where a Big Mac will soon cost $10 because the guy wearing the paper hat makes $15/hr by fiat, because some liberal dreamers want to make a fast-food worker equal to you...and use your money to do it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island

From the link above:
With a Census-estimated population of 7,804,968 in 2014, constituting nearly 40% of New York State's population,[3][4][5][6][7] Long Island is the most populated island in any U.S. state or territory, and the 18th-most populous island in the world (ahead of Ireland, Jamaica, and Hokkaidō). Its population density is 5,571 inhabitants per square mile (2,151/km2). If Long Island geographically constituted an independent metropolitan statistical area, it would rank fourth most populous in the United States; while if it were a U.S. state, Long Island would rank 13th in population and first in population density.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 PM

384 posts, read 434,710 times
Quote:

So your problem really is that new immigrants who according to you do not speak English and do not pay rent at market price are moving here?

I bet you your Italian ancestors did not speak a word of English either when they landed here however they came just as the recent people immigrating here looking for opportunities.
I bet you they suffered discrimination also and here you are perpetrating the ignorance against others.
And I got news for you that burger flipper is equal to me and you.
$10 burger?
No thanks I rather cook my own.

Last edited by limaman; 01-05-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 08:39 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Sure, there are people in other urban areas who have had it with what FHD has termed the 'rat race.' But I need to disagree with you. Sure, LA, SD, SF and Silicon Valley are real estate traps with huge prices for not so much house. Sure, the commutes in each of these areas suck. But, even though you're paying $1.8mm for a tear-down colonial in Palo Alto, the property taxes are still now where near what LI'ers pay. Check it out! And the flip side of those ridiculously high housing prices is many of the areas you've listed are appreciating markets. That makes a huge difference compared to much of the LI real estate market. My house, while it hasn't lost value, hasn't appreciated much in over 2 years. And thats if I could sell it at all. The volume of sales in my neck of the woods is low, low.

Why are property taxes so evil? Why do I have such a b#(*# for said taxes? As property taxes rise to consume major chunks of disposable income, they become regressive. You are now paying for other peoples fortunes and scams, not law and order, infrastructure and education systems. High property taxes squelch business opportunity and force many small businesses to close.

So why the elementary school lesson on why real estate taxes are so bad? Because people here, on this thread and in the LI Forum, think they are comparing apples to apples by claiming LA and SD suck too. Sure, they may, we construct our own hells. But nowhere are property owners saddled with such a heavy load as here on LI (ok, maybe Westchester too, but they really do have excellent schools).
CA has proposition 13, which is a disincentive to selling houses, keeping demand high and it protects senior citizens from high taxes. Newer construction and homes that have been resold many times have very high taxes there too. CA has also had its ups and downs throughout the years, not always in sync with New York highs and lows. Unfortunately, I know all too much about the lows in both northern and southern CA, having bailed out a sibling a couple of times from losses in San Mateo and SoCal. I don't know if this is true, but this was on Wiki

California public schools, which during the 1960s had been ranked nationally as among the best, have decreased to 48th in many surveys of student achievement.[35] Some[36][37] have disputed the attribution of the decline to Proposition 13's role in the change to state financing of public schools, because schools financed mostly by property taxes were declared unconstitutional (the variances in funding between lower and higher income areas being deemed to violate the equal protection clause) in Serrano vs. Priest, and Proposition 13 was then passed partially as a result of that case.[34] California's spending per pupil was the same as the national average until about 1985, when it began decreasing, which resulted in another referendum, Proposition 98, that requires a certain percentage of the state's budget to be directed towards education.[4]

IMO, my little nephews' school in an area equivalent to Greenich, CT was very disappointing in comparison to my local mediocre LI school district.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:

I think lower income and retiring people are moving out.
It is hard to stay here with limited income.
So immigrants come here?
So what?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
With all due respect, outmigration is nothing new. If there wasn't any, boy would the "Long Island is too crowded" crew be in for a shocker. Anecdotally, lots of born and bred Long Islanders are certainly moving out of the area. Those that stay may be moving further east or are dreaded yuppies like myself, settling down to start a family. My village is ground zero for NYC refugees and immigrants. They may not all be white, but they are definitely middle class.
Oh the horror ! immigrants and yuppies coming here?
What about yuppies immigrants?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Places where other NYers (especially LIers) flock to, end up becoming just like NY. Some places, Like Carey, NC. which actually sought-out NYers- attracting them with advertising campaigns and such, did so because they wanted those "rich NYers" who were used to high taxes, so that they could grab a piece of the pie for their own coffers. Never follow the herd!
I actually agree with this. Another example of overdevelopment caused by the flocks of New Yorkers/NJ residents is Florida, the original cheap swamp land as seen in The Cocoanuts Movie. But Californians have been accused of the same, flocking to a cheap less populated area and then ruining it. They brought the gang culture to other areas of the southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island