Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Absolutely. Which then brings up the point that all things being equal, wouldn't you telecommute from a place where the cost of living was lower?
'Zactly!

I could live there- In which case I'd have to work 10 hour days and bribe the local kommisars for permission to put up a porch light, while living next-door a house which is rented to 13 "lawn maintenance technicians"....

Or I can live here:

...and work a few hours a week; enjoy my life, doing whatever I want; and instead of the fruit of my labor benefitting some politicians and union monkeys...it benefits ME!

Last edited by Mumbly Joe; 01-09-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
So it is your assertion that a lack of commercial properties does not negatively impact a community's tax base? Tell that to the people in Roosevelt.

Or perhaps ask the residents of Hauppauge -- .
Comparing LI to LI is futile. So one community's taxes are a few dollars less than another- so what? Those people are STILL paying a fortune in taxes!

There are plenty of places around the country- from rural areas with virtually no industry- to suburbs of major cities also which have no industry at all, because they are merely bedroom suburbs....and their taxes are still a FRACTION of even the lowest taxes on LI.

The problem on LI is simply corruption; unions; and greedy politicians who can get away with robbery.

Industry.....yeah, right- and meanwhile what little industry remains on LI has to be given huge TAX BREAKS and bribes (incentives) just to keep them there another few years; not to mention the infrastructure often needed to sustain them- and that all COSTS the residents money.

Roosevelt? LOL- what does a slum have to do with it? -A slum whose taxes are higher than that of many prosperous communities, elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm bouncing off this.

Everyone is citing high property taxes and commute, but failing to mention that a part of the reason behind high property taxes in some commutable areas is less commercial property to help carry the burden, or government property which is exempt from property tax along with houses of worship. Not writing that it's a big part of the reason, but that it does factor in.
There's plenty of industry in my area but it hasn't helped in the least. If anything, the IDA's are giving away rebates, discounts and abatements to retain business and jobs, neither of which really impact most of the homeowners.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Roosevelt is not a slum. I live in Suffolk and their taxes are STILL higher than mine. Roosevelt uniondale and Wyandanch home owners are still getting hosed in taxes . I am a proud new yorker and long islander who also loves to travel. I have seen what you can get down south with a fraction of what we pay here. I have been in the mcmansions and the 100 acre farms . everyone I know that is living well out of state did it with NEW YORK MONEY.... The very same People who come on here complaining are the ones who have huge NY pensions flashing their money in some podunk town out of the tristate... Quality of life is great when your making triple what everyone else down there is making. Even I feel like a movie star when I go down south. Lol.... Ask those who are born and raised down there if they wouldn't like our lifestyle....

Old 01-09-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Roosevelt is not a slum. I live in Suffolk and their taxes are STILL higher than mine. Roosevelt uniondale and Wyandanch home owners are still getting hosed in taxes . I am a proud new yorker and long islander who also loves to travel. I have seen what you can get down south with a fraction of what we pay here. I have been in the mcmansions and the 100 acre farms . everyone I know that is living well out of state did it with NEW YORK MONEY.... The very same People who come on here complaining are the ones who have huge NY pensions flashing their money in some podunk town out of the tristate... Quality of life is great when your making triple what everyone else down there is making. Even I feel like a movie star when I go down south. Lol.... Ask those who are born and raised down there if they wouldn't like our lifestyle....
No NY or pension money here. I moved down here when I was 39 with nothing but $25K in cash- not even knowing how I'd make a living. No matter how you slice it, the poor, lower working class and middle class can live better down here, in every way. You can live well here on an income which would mean homelessness in NY; you can live like a king a very modest income. Believe me, no one here envies you.

On LI you have to make $100K just to be middle class (and just barely!)- in many other places, even big cities, you can be middle class on less than half of that. In many places, you can be upper class for under $100K a year.

It's all relative. And in NY, you get relatively little for your money- not to mention the squelching of your rights.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:34 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
I don't make 100k and I'm not homeless. Do I have a boat and a vette in my garage? Nope.... A husband and a wife can do fine here. Just make sure one of you is a civil servant or in a union.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Software engineers, computer engineers, IT professionals, office workers, Lawyers, technicians, mechanics, construction workers. Can go on and on....

No! You're lying - we're all lying to the man from B******k, Nowhere. Only he knows what's going on here and he hasn't been here in a decade or so and is so ashamed of the place he does live that he won't identify it!

Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No! You're lying - we're all lying to the man from B******k, Nowhere. Only he knows what's going on here and he hasn't been here in a decade or so and is so ashamed of the place he does live that he won't identify it!
Yep he's a regular LI and world economic expert operating from his trailer on the moon, because the "read it on the internets".

Old 01-10-2016, 08:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Right, because all those who left did so mainly because they realize the place is in decline. It couldn't have been for calm or their own financial hardship or a myriad of other reasons. Right, those who stay find no VALUE (as you mentioned) in staying close to family and having so much in close proximity, especially a place where they have strong roots. Cost is but just 1 factor among many others equally as important. Look up the word value.
You're arguing for my point, maybe you need to look up "value". For your average family, LI is simply not worth what you get anymore - it used to be, but it isn't anymore. As long you (and many others here) keep telling yourself that people are leaving "because they can't hack it", it's easier to write off our commentary. But, no matter how many times we say it, the simple fact is that people who can hack it are leaving is completely ignored.

You let yourself fall into the false equivalence trap that all of LI is the same. That every town offers the same quality of schools and the same picturesque suburbia. We all know this is not true, but instead of comparing town A on LI to town B in another metro, you choose to lump town A in with the gold coast of LI or the other top end areas... or, which you seem to be fixated on, the "value" of family and strong roots(whatever that means). But you conveniently forget that has zero to do with LI itself, people have roots or family anywhere they are from.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:37 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
'Zactly!

I could live there- In which case I'd have to work 10 hour days and bribe the local kommisars for permission to put up a porch light, while living next-door a house which is rented to 13 "lawn maintenance technicians"....

Or I can live here:

...and work a few hours a week; enjoy my life, doing whatever I want; and instead of the fruit of my labor benefitting some politicians and union monkeys...it benefits ME!
I as a life long... Islander I would love to leave and enjoy a more peaceful less dog eat dog lifestyle. You made the right choice and probably added a few years to your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island