Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 70,951 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Greenlawn to raise our kids (mostly to be in Harborfields school district). What is the best area that we should look in and is the area between Cuba Hill, Broadway and Little Plains OK? In particular Alton Avenue?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:49 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times
Alton is fine. I run through there all the time. I'm trying to think of what's for sale over there.

Just keep in mind that Broadway and Cuba Hill are busy roads so I'd rather be in a few houses to (hopefully) give the speeders time to slow down.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raliny View Post
We are looking to move to Greenlawn to raise our kids (mostly to be in Harborfields school district). What is the best area that we should look in and is the area between Cuba Hill, Broadway and Little Plains OK? In particular Alton Avenue?

Thank you!

Are you looking at the newly renovated house? It's beautiful! And it's set back (flag lot) so no need to worry about the potential speeders redrunner+2 mentioned ;-)

Old 01-12-2016, 05:13 PM

9 posts, read 70,951 times
I'm looking at 29 Alton and am not sure if it's too close to the questionable areas.
And also crime rates. I saw that there was a burglary on Canoly ct recently which is close by. So that makes me nervous. Also is flooding an issue in that area?

Old 01-12-2016, 08:08 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raliny View Post
I'm looking at 29 Alton and am not sure if it's too close to the questionable areas.
And also crime rates. I saw that there was a burglary on Canoly ct recently which is close by. So that makes me nervous. Also is flooding an issue in that area?

The burglaries have been rampant everywhere. Greenlawn/Huntington was getting hit pretty hard with car burglaries and a number of home break-ins.

We have friends over by Alton and they're happy over there.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:40 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times
It's a shame that some sections of Greenlawn are dealing with the overflow of the worst parts of Huntington Station.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:38 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
It's a shame that some sections of Greenlawn are dealing with the overflow of the worst parts of Huntington Station.
I don't agree this has anything to do with Huntington Station to be honest. Any recent crime spree is probably the work of one or a few individuals who just have been lucky to not have been caught yet.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:17 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times
Yes, I agree with the above.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM

137 posts, read 272,684 times
Alton is a great area, as is pretty much all of harborfields.

The "problem" section of harborfields is a dog whistle. It means "not white" area, across from the new Coral Park, also east of Broadway. The people who subscribe to this theory state that you should not go South of Little Plains and not go east of Broadway. It is mostly BS. There is no more or less crime in that area. You can search Newsday's crime map. There have been a rash of break ins in the entire school district (as well as other places in Huntington), but for "some reason," break-ins in North Greenlawn are not cause for concern but closer to the problem area they are. Do the math.

If you like the potential house, go for it. It looks like a great new house. You are close to good quick food in both the strip malls by Little Plains and the "village" of greenlawn. You are close to both train stations (Greenlawn and Huntington) although I'd go through Huntington b/c it runs more frequently. And, if it means that much to you, you are far enough away from the "problem area" as some like to call it.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:54 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william munny View Post
Alton is a great area, as is pretty much all of harborfields.

The "problem" section of harborfields is a dog whistle. It means "not white" area, across from the new Coral Park, also east of Broadway. The people who subscribe to this theory state that you should not go South of Little Plains and not go east of Broadway. It is mostly BS. There is no more or less crime in that area. You can search Newsday's crime map. There have been a rash of break ins in the entire school district (as well as other places in Huntington), but for "some reason," break-ins in North Greenlawn are not cause for concern but closer to the problem area they are. Do the math.

And, if it means that much to you, you are far enough away from the "problem area" as some like to call it.
Plugged in 'all crimes' and last 7 months in Newsday website (Long Island Crime & Police Reports - Newsday.com). Keeping in mind this is a macro look at 'all crimes' (very petty property damage crimes to very serious crimes) it shows Cold Spring Harbor 13, Centerport 11, Greenlawn 41, Huntington Station 80.

Greenlawn (and addresses of victims are included in the police stats) does seem to have had a recent string of residential break-ins...about 10 in the last 2 months).

I am aware this is only 'reported crimes'

It is not correct that "There have been a rash of break ins in the entire school district". Centerport hasn't seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island