Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Thank you for the compliment, but I do not have such a list and do not know where one might be available, other than to contact each school district separately.
Oh, thanks anyway!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,062 times
its true- people do it all the time. some school district just dont have the resources to verify residency

Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM

248 posts, read 872,956 times
More likely - if a student is on an IEP and their home district does not offer the services they require under that IEP, the district will pay the out of district tuition and bus the student to the school that can provide the support needed.[/quote]

This I have heard about...I'm wondering about the NCLB act...I know we, in the city, have kids bussed all the time due to this...I don't see LI not participating in a nationwide initiative...

Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
Default Many years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysmith View Post
its true- people do it all the time. some school district just dont have the resources to verify residency

when my kids were little, one of their friends went to a different school district even though they lived in our district. The mother was divorced and used her ex's address so the kids could go to the district where he lived. Obviously, they never bothered to check who had custody of the kids or they would have know where the kids lived.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
when my kids were little, one of their friends went to a different school district even though they lived in our district. The mother was divorced and used her ex's address so the kids could go to the district where he lived. Obviously, they never bothered to check who had custody of the kids or they would have know where the kids lived.

But that's a completely different situation... you're talking about the kids using their father's address to go to that district. I'm talking about the district KNOWING the kids are living in "District A" and being bussed and allowed to go to school in "District B".

Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
This I have heard about...I'm wondering about the NCLB act...I know we, in the city, have kids bussed all the time due to this...I don't see LI not participating in a nationwide initiative...
I think states can opt out of NCLB if they have a program that meets or exceeds the NCLB standards. Here's what we have in VA...

Standards of Learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have mixed feelings about the program.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
But that's a completely different situation... you're talking about the kids using their father's address to go to that district. I'm talking about the district KNOWING the kids are living in "District A" and being bussed and allowed to go to school in "District B".
They're most likely receiving specialized services under an IEP. That's the only instance I've seen that happen with the school being aware of it and providing bussing. It's much cheaper to bus them to another district that has a good system already in place, rather than hiring new specialized teachers, teacher assts, counselors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island