Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:59 PM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,833 times

Advertisements

I think you should attach a picture of the problem. I am not sure if just the top slab of the stair is cracked or the stuff underneath it.

if its just a slab - you can just get a new wooden slab and have a handy man stain it to match the color of the rest of the steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I had carpeting taken out and wood floors refinished in my split-level home last June. Now one of my wood stairs is cracked. I called the company that refinished the floors but they said they can't repair it; instead, they advised me to call a "stair guy."

Um. Does anyone know a reputable stair guy that's willing to fix a single cracked and chipping stair? I feel like a lot of companies only want to come for big jobs... and DIY is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:18 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,484 times
On older homes those staircases are not like today. My 75 year old aunt when she was a newlywed built her house. She told the story almost funny, when staircases, kitchen cabinets were being built a couple of Irish guys showed up with planks of wood, tape measure, some beers and put it all together one, two three with even hand saws and at best measuring tape. No such thing really as buying pre-made cabinets or stairs.

Since older homes are pre-fab each step could be slightly off. And they used long nails hammered in below surface with a tiny amount of matched wood glue to hide nail head. My contractor to fix the steps right we needed to hire a licensed carpenter to have the skills to match up a stair case and get them old one out without damaging staircase. He said cheaper to buy whole staircase new and have two handimen install, or brace it from below leaving just a hairline crack and prevent it from further cracking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island