Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:01 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjya2002 View Post
How about North Babylon?
What about it? some parts of it boarder Wyandanch, but it's generally a safe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 02:15 PM

17 posts, read 52,400 times
I am asking is it any better than Wyandanch or Hempstead?

Old 02-03-2016, 02:24 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Quote:
I am asking is it any better than Wyandanch or Hempstead?
Yes, definitely better.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:30 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
How about North Babylon?
North Babylon is a decent area; its not similar to Wyandanch or Hempstead at all. It's much more in the league of Deer Park, Lindenhurst and Farmingdale.... all relatively-affordable middle class areas.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:30 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Eh, Bull****. How are the geniuses that bought in Mastic/Shirley holding up? 50 years later and it's still trash. Give it up.
I had a a friend who bought a house in the Mastics during the mortgage bubble because it was pretty much the only area on LI with "affordable" RE. Then the bubble popped and the little house they'd gotten for "only" ~$250k went back to being worthless. They were so upside-down that it was better in the long run for them to simply jump ship on the house and take the credit hit. It worked out in the end because the house was severely damaged by Sandy, they probably would have lost everything if they were still living there.

So basically, any hope of the Mastics gentrifying will probably rest on another bout of large-scale mortgage fraud lasting 20 or 30 years.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 PM

104 posts, read 151,288 times
Quote:
How about North Babylon?
North Babylon is a very mixed area. South of Sunrise Hwy you're basically in Babylon Village. The areas around Deer Park Avenue are alright. North of Southern State is alright closer to Deer Park but iffy further west where it borders Wyandanch.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:23 PM

Agreed ^^

OP, I would say the nicest part of NB is near the Phelps Lane pool. The Erlanger area and the Poet Ave section are very nice too. The part next to Wyandanch north of the pkwy can get a bit iffy since it borders Wyandanch but ironically, this is where the biggest homes and properties in NB are. Besides the Poet Section, I'm not a huge fan of most areas east of Deer Park Ave

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-03-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 03:45 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
That's my point. North Babylon and Wyandanch and dix hills all share borders. The houses in Wyandanch are decent and some are huge. Whites will not buy in the black areas of North Babylon so the home prices are 100k lower . the schools are good in NB and the services are the same. The homes are huge by Belmont park area. What happens is that Asians are buying the cheaper houses in the black areas and driving the prices up. A young smart family of any race will buy in a good neighborhood if the price is affordable . I see this happening in the black enclave of deer park. For years this area had prices 150k lower than the rest of deer park due to white flight . now white families are buying in the black areas because of price and value. Same thing will happen in Wyandanch when the west Indians and Asians arrive.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
That's my point. North Babylon and Wyandanch and dix hills all share borders. The houses in Wyandanch are decent and some are huge. Whites will not buy in the black areas of North Babylon so the home prices are 100k lower . the schools are good in NB and the services are the same. The homes are huge by Belmont park area. What happens is that Asians are buying the cheaper houses in the black areas and driving the prices up. A young smart family of any race will buy in a good neighborhood if the price is affordable . I see this happening in the black enclave of deer park. For years this area had prices 150k lower than the rest of deer park due to white flight . now white families are buying in the black areas because of price and value. Same thing will happen in Wyandanch when the west Indians and Asians arrive.
I definitely get what you're saying but to just kindly correct a few minor things. Dix Hills doesn't border Wyandanch. Wheatley Heights acts a buffer between the two towns. And the median home prices in the black area of NB is actually not that much different than the white areas within the district.

Phelps Lane area median home price: $375k
Hunter Ave area median home price: $345k
Wood Road area median home price: $341k
Hubbards Path area median home price: $335k
Centerwood Street area median home price: $327k (black area)
Belmont Elementary school area median home price: $321k
Weeks Road area median home price: $318k
House Median Value Rank of Census Tract within 2 miles of Zip Code 11703 Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-03-2016 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 04:48 PM

Since we're on the topic of socioeconomics, the median household income by race in North Babylon is actually very evenly distributed also. I guess if somebody wanted to study a place with very low racial and income inequality then this would be it.

According to usa.com-
Black median household income: $87,473
White median household income: $87,081
Hispanic median household income: $86,898
North Babylon, NY Income and Careers - USA.com™

According to city-data.com statistics-
Black median household income: $90,478
White median household income: $84,173
Hispanic median household income: $72,944
//www.city-data.com/income/inco...-New-York.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island